It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 am

2018 Preview

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 pm   
Golden Panther

I appreciate the details the author used to write this preview. I agree with the author that 2019 is the year FIU is a legit contender for the C-USA championship. Next year could have a wide range of outcomes, but I am very much looking forward to it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/26/17026462/florida-international-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Quote:
UCF went 13-0 and claimed a share of the national title. FAU won 11 games and its first Conference USA title. FIU lost by a combined 113-41 to these two in-state rivals ... and then out-recruited them both.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm   
Golden Panther

This guy suggests Budwig will not get his sixth year. Anyone know if that is true?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:16 am   
Golden Panther

I could be wrong, but I think Morgan does a lot better with a competent coaching staff. I don't know a single position where we haven't upgraded the quality of athlete over the last two cycles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think Morgan does a lot better with a competent coaching staff. I don't know a single position where we haven't upgraded the quality of athlete over the last two cycles.

I agree. I think Morgan will succeed under our coaching staff. He obviously wants to be here with our coaches. That's what players like Morgan look at. Not the location or school, but the coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

I agree. I think Morgan will succeed under our coaching staff. He obviously wants to be here with our coaches. That's what players like Morgan look at. Not the location or school, but the coaches.

He is going from the equivalent of Todd Dodge to a man that won two Super Bowls.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:52 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

That is why he went to Bowling Green in the first place, because of then HC Dino Barbers, who coach Jimmy Garrapolo.

So I think a good staff will turn him around. They made me forget McGs 3 years in one season, so as far as I'm concerned they have the Midas Touch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:18 pm   
Puma

In regards to Budwig, i've seen him in a few of the FIU Football videos and pictures so i would guess he is either approved for a 6th year or they are waiting for an answer from NCAA. My bet is that the writer just went off of the roster and looked at who is a senior etc..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 pm   
Golden Panther

Thanks, Reiner. Now that you mention it, I seem to remember him talking about next year somewhere. I am sure you are correct about the writer just scanning the roster for seniors. I would think that Budwig coming back and Demery playing, along with the rest of the pack being a bit seasoned ought to make for a decent OL. Last year's pass blocking was pretty good and with Demery's ability to move and pull, maybe the running game will pick up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I think Budwig is approved.

On QB, coaching def a key. Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

So excited about the upgrade in so many positions. I think we have a lot of hungry panthers and there will be many position upsets. We need them hungry and ready to compete on and off the field.

QB ROOM

Alexander
Lynum
Alexander
Morgan
Wiggins

Wait let me stop here i think there is already a layout thread before I get carried away. The qbs, receivers, and running backs have me worked up. Something big will happen this year and panther haters and bashers will have the hush mouth.

Ill be back

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:11 pm   
Golden Panther

Hope that is correct on Budwig. I often watched him last year and never saw him get close to being beat. He was often 2 yards across the line, and still pushing his man backward at the end of the play. I think he is a Sunday meatloaf-styled player myself. Add Demery and we might finally have a line that will allow those receivers, backs, and QB X to flourish. I am waiting for the Spring Game to see just who among the QB holdovers it seems that Butch is trusting. Please, let there be something a little surprising there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm   
Golden Panther

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/2018- ... ar-BBK7PTP

Quote:
How even is this conference? I considered all four of these teams for Tier 2. Again, injuries will play a massive role in such a parity-heavy (outside of the top spot) conference, and if a few recent star recruits can hit the ground running at FIU, Butch Davis’ Golden Panthers could drastically overachieve both their S&P+ projections and my own perceptions. I’m sticking with the thought that they’re a year away, but a surge wouldn’t be a total surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 pm   
Golden Panther

This commentator is one of those read the stats guys who has never seen a down played by anyone at FIU. Sounds like he has actually watched a few Owls games, though.