It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 pm

FIU vs UM 2019 Game at either Marlins or Hard Rock

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
IF FIU is a good team by then, Meaning they have a great preceding season, then we should have a lot of bodies in the stadium, including casual FIU football fans and FIU students.

I'm hoping to make money, but I'd rather sell out our home stadium with 22,000 in attendance than play elsewhere.

When we played them in 2006 and 2007 the average attendance between both years was approximately 48000 people.

With Butch Davis and the team going to back-to-back bowl games and a senior quarterback in James Morgan you can expect that our return game could be a sellout.
so the Hard Rock is the most natural place. Actually the most natural place will be to complete our stadium and host at our home so we don't have to pay a rental fee but since people are afraid of doing the right thing for school and team, then the next best thing would be the Hard Rock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
IF FIU is a good team by then, Meaning they have a great preceding season, then we should have a lot of bodies in the stadium, including casual FIU football fans and FIU students.

I'm hoping to make money, but I'd rather sell out our home stadium with 22,000 in attendance than play elsewhere.

When we played them in 2006 and 2007 the average attendance between both years was approximately 48000 people.

With Butch Davis and the team going to back-to-back bowl games and a senior quarterback in James Morgan you can expect that our return game could be a sellout.
so the Hard Rock is the most natural place. Actually the most natural place will be to complete our stadium and host at our home so we don't have to pay a rental fee but since people are afraid of doing the right thing for school and team, then the next best thing would be the Hard Rock.

Ok, when you say "complete" our stadium I'm going to assume you mean upper deck. We would literally only need that upper level for the one UM game we are playing. Any other game for the next few seasons will warrant what we already have now. Sorry.

I too would love to have that upper deck built, but I would be embarrassed to see not a single fan need to use it when our stadium is only 30% full on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 am   
Juvenile Panther

That's a great point and well said, it's utterly embarrassing to have FIU students prefer to stay outside the stadium and party instead of supporting their team. It's about priorities and I'm afraid that too many students and alumni are bad examples of schooo spirit and are way too egar to jump on the Miami bandwagon and simultaneously complain abiut what has gone wrong with the program in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 am   
Golden Panther

I think that the game should be played on our campus, period, end of story, whether there were three upper decks or the game were to be played in the parking lot. You guys who are harping about money are simply handing a home game to the University of Miami in return for shekels. What would the baby Jesus say? No, let me tell you what he would say: "Home and home means home and home," that's what he would say. And so far as giving 10,000 seats to the aptly named student "body", I think that a voucher for a ticket to the UM game at our stadium ought to be handed out, one per butt in the seat, AFTER the end of the previous home game. You don't show and sit to the bitter end, you don't get a ticket to sell to some pal at UM for the UM game, soldier. What doesn't get picked up can be sold as GA. Truth be told, I think that when Pete goes he ought to take the student "body" with him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I think that the game should be played on our campus, period, end of story, whether there were three upper decks or the game were to be played in the parking lot. You guys who are harping about money are simply handing a home game to the University of Miami in return for shekels. What would the baby Jesus say? No, let me tell you what he would say: "Home and home means home and home," that's what he would say. And so far as giving 10,000 seats to the aptly named student "body", I think that a voucher for a ticket to the UM game at our stadium ought to be handed out, one per butt in the seat, AFTER the end of the previous home game. You don't show and sit to the bitter end, you don't get a ticket to sell to some pal at UM for the UM game, soldier. What doesn't get picked up can be sold as GA. Truth be told, I think that when Pete goes he ought to take the student "body" with him.

Yeah, I would agree that the game should be played at home regardless.
We hosted Louisville, but they are no UM in terms of bringing in fans.

But, couple of things FIU could do to compensate revenue:
1. Must buy season tickets to get UM (due to limited seating).
2. Only club level or other designated areas available as single game tickets.
3. Students wishing free tickets must attend all prior home games and receive a Boucher for each game (likely one or two games). Must turn in vouchers on Game day.
Up to the first 5000 tickets (like a bowl).

Otherwise students (+1) may purchase tickets at reduced cost.

But, then again UM isn't interested in playing in our current stadium. I can't blame them, could you imagine the lines at the Arepa Station? Or the frozen lemonade station?

Or the two hotdog stations?

We would have to bring in specialty vendors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 am   
Golden Panther

Dang Chia, maybe we'd finally get a good hot dog! Never thought of that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:28 pm   
Cougar

This game should and can be played in sweetwater. How is it possible to set up temporary bleachers for parades, concerts, tennis at hard rock and literally every ride at the youth fair but not in the cage.

You regulars at the game know that the stadium has all that space on top reserved for the second level expansion. How much can it cost to rent a crane and temporary bleachers for one day? People have literally put them on rooftops in Chicago to watch the cubs.

Right now we can jam 22k, we can easily add another 15k with temp seating on top. Plus stading room only where ever we can't put bleachers and also field passes.

40k for a game is not bad considering...Miami played app state in Boone a few years ago and their capacity with people sitting on the grass was 35k.

If the game in 2019 is played at hard rock we might as well shut the program down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Here's where UM is playing these yr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:02 pm   
Golden Panther

The glass bowl! The location of FIU’s first ever OOC road win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 pm   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:
This game should and can be played in sweetwater. How is it possible to set up temporary bleachers for parades, concerts, tennis at hard rock and literally every ride at the youth fair but not in the cage.

You regulars at the game know that the stadium has all that space on top reserved for the second level expansion. How much can it cost to rent a crane and temporary bleachers for one day? People have literally put them on rooftops in Chicago to watch the cubs.

Right now we can jam 22k, we can easily add another 15k with temp seating on top. Plus stading room only where ever we can't put bleachers and also field passes.

40k for a game is not bad considering...Miami played app state in Boone a few years ago and their capacity with people sitting on the grass was 35k.

If the game in 2019 is played at hard rock we might as well shut the program down.

How you can do something like that and get it past code inspectors and/or insurance people is beyond me. I don't pretend to be an expert on that stuff, but I simply can't imagine any way that could be done safely, especially in the numbers you're talking about. I would love to be proven wrong there. Even if that's the case... it would, most likely, look like total crap. Probably wouldn't look that great on TV, even if full.

We used to have temp bleacher seating in the early days of FIU football. Those things were ugly and it wasn't cheap, either. Those seats only held, like, another 8,000 to 10,000 or something like that. And those were on the ground, not hundreds of feet up in the air. Most temporary bleacher setups are on the ground, I think. I wouldn't want to be on anything like that unless it's real sturdy, especially if it's windy or rainy.

Having said all that... I guess it's worth looking into. If you can get enough temporary seating in there safely (at least 40,000, I think) and make it profitable, I'd say go for it. But I'm sort of skeptical you can do that. Renting Hard Rock or Marlins Park for a day is probably more cost-effective.

Diagodog wrote:

Baby Jesus doesn't pay the bills. You don't give away 25,000+ seats for nothing. That's fiscally irresponsible. Especially for an athletic department as cash-strapped as FIU is.

You have a golden opportunity here hosting UM to get a bunch of money from people who you don't normally get money from. Not only Miami people, but those FIU people who only show up when Miami's on the other side. Giving all that cash away for the "pride" of hosting UM in anything less than a 40,000 seat stadium is idiotic and I'm sure PG knows that $$$$ well.

chiaPanther wrote:
3. Students wishing free tickets must attend all prior home games and receive a Boucher for each game (likely one or two games). Must turn in vouchers on Game day.

I think FIU did #1 some time ago. Can't remember who it was, exactly (UCF or USF?) but I seem to remember something about season tickets needing to be purchased in order to get tickets to a certain game.

The beauty of that idea is that you can also require season tickets AND play the game at Hard Rock or Marlins Park to maximize attendance numbers.

I'd make this offer to everyone who isn't a student. Anyone who buys FIU season tickets (don't care what level) gets a FREE ticket to the UM game. Don't care who you are or why you're buying it or where it's being played.

I would NOT offer single-game tickets for UM if at all possible... and if I did, I'd probably wait as long as possible to do that. Maybe a week or two before the game or something like that. Incentivize people to get the season tickets as much as possible.

I bet that would be a windfall for FIU. It might guarantee home sellouts all season. And maybe more people would go to games if they've bought for 7 games instead of for 1 (or however many home games there are).

As for the students... I don't think it's fair for them to have to pay for UM tickets. It's an FIU home game, even if it's not at home. They subsidize the program already through fees.

I'd keep it simple. Show up to every home game before then and you get first crack at UM tickets... and if you keep showing up to all home football games after that, you also get first crack at free tickets the next time FIU hosts Miami (even if you've graduated and/or are a season ticket holder).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 pm   
Cougar

Clawing Cancer wrote:
SP1029 wrote:

How you can do something like that and get it past code inspectors and/or insurance people is beyond me. I don't pretend to be an expert on that stuff, but I simply can't imagine any way that could be done safely, especially in the numbers you're talking about. I would love to be proven wrong there. Even if that's the case... it would, most likely, look like total crap. Probably wouldn't look that great on TV, even if full.

We used to have temp bleacher seating in the early days of FIU football. Those things were ugly and it wasn't cheap, either. Those seats only held, like, another 8,000 to 10,000 or something like that. And those were on the ground, not hundreds of feet up in the air. Most temporary bleacher setups are on the ground, I think. I wouldn't want to be on anything like that unless it's real sturdy, especially if it's windy or rainy.

Having said all that... I guess it's worth looking into. If you can get enough temporary seating in there safely (at least 40,000, I think) and make it profitable, I'd say go for it. But I'm sort of skeptical you can do that. Renting Hard Rock or Marlins Park for a day is probably more cost-effective.

Diagodog wrote:

Baby Jesus doesn't pay the bills. You don't give away 25,000+ seats for nothing. That's fiscally irresponsible. Especially for an athletic department as cash-strapped as FIU is.

You have a golden opportunity here hosting UM to get a bunch of money from people who you don't normally get money from. Not only Miami people, but those FIU people who only show up when Miami's on the other side. Giving all that cash away for the "pride" of hosting UM in anything less than a 40,000 seat stadium is idiotic and I'm sure PG knows that $$$$ well.

chiaPanther wrote:

I think FIU did #1 some time ago. Can't remember who it was, exactly (UCF or USF?) but I seem to remember something about season tickets needing to be purchased in order to get tickets to a certain game.

The beauty of that idea is that you can also require season tickets AND play the game at Hard Rock or Marlins Park to maximize attendance numbers.

I'd make this offer to everyone who isn't a student. Anyone who buys FIU season tickets (don't care what level) gets a FREE ticket to the UM game. Don't care who you are or why you're buying it or where it's being played.

I would NOT offer single-game tickets for UM if at all possible... and if I did, I'd probably wait as long as possible to do that. Maybe a week or two before the game or something like that. Incentivize people to get the season tickets as much as possible.

I bet that would be a windfall for FIU. It might guarantee home sellouts all season. And maybe more people would go to games if they've bought for 7 games instead of for 1 (or however many home games there are).

As for the students... I don't think it's fair for them to have to pay for UM tickets. It's an FIU home game, even if it's not at home. They subsidize the program already through fees.

I'd keep it simple. Show up to every home game before then and you get first crack at UM tickets... and if you keep showing up to all home football games after that, you also get first crack at free tickets the next time FIU hosts Miami (even if you've graduated and/or are a season ticket holder).

It would only look like azz if they show the behind the scenes, but a sold out stadium no matter how ugly, always looks good. FSU plays in the worst stadium out of the bit 3 schools in the state. They have metal bleachers and the same looking structure as us under. But when they sell out it looks great on tv.

And of course safety is number 1. We don't need another accident on campus where people get hurt. I got the idea from the people in Chicago who set up those bleachers on top of those buildings to watch the cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:55 am   
Golden Panther

Surely, Shirley, there was thought given to the size of Ricardo Montalban Stadium when this home and home deal was made. How on earth could it possibly have just come to anyone's attention that the stadium holds 21,000 or so? And now it would seem that we have closeted UM fans coming on here wanting to hand over a home game to the Canes because they are terrified that playing at FIU might result in an upset for the ages, this under the same guise that had the money changers operating in the temple, ie, profit. Playing this game in Sweetwater is the morally correct thing to do. But that does not mean that the money changers, Pete, and the UM power cabal will not conspire to have their way. What a terrible shortchanging of the players, the few true fans, and yes, even the student "body" it will be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Surely, Shirley, there was thought given to the size of Ricardo Montalban Stadium when this home and home deal was made. How on earth could it possibly have just come to anyone's attention that the stadium holds 21,000 or so? And now it would seem that we have closeted UM fans coming on here wanting to hand over a home game to the Canes because they are terrified that playing at FIU might result in an upset for the ages, this under the same guise that had the money changers operating in the temple, ie, profit. Playing this game in Sweetwater is the morally correct thing to do. But that does not mean that the money changers, Pete, and the UM power cabal will not conspire to have their way. What a terrible shortchanging of the players, the few true fans, and yes, even the student "body" it will be.

The money changers were there to prevent graven images of polytheistic deities from being used in Jerusalem, just saying...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm   
Golden Panther

And they were UM fans, too, one suspects.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 pm   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:

At first I thought this might be the craziest idea ever.... But, something about it made me do some research.

First off the Cubs; Private Wrigley Bleachers. They are not temporary structures. Here is some history from Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Rooftops

Then I researched temporary bleachers and looked at the Proposed renderings of our completed stadium and photos of our current incomplete stadium.

Lets start with the temporary bleachers; the below link is a company that rents bleachers. As FIU has had temporary bleachers before at ground level both for Football and Baseball, I would suspect we already have a vendor.
https://bigtenrentals.com/
https://rentalbleachersinc.com/bleacher ... tor-chart/

The problem with the temporary bleachers is:
1. The footprint. If you have ever walked the current "second level" concourse you know that it is not infinitely wide. FIU would need to supply front walking/ADA access. In my opinion the maximum width of bleachers would be 40' or approx. 20 rows.
According to the website a 20 row by 210 ft long bleacher will hold 2440 seats. Assuming we could set 420' of total bleachers on the concourse, that would be just under 5000 seats. Lets say 7000 seats just the shits and giggles.

Below is our current stadium:

2. The Concourse: Can the concourse support the weight of the loaded (full to capacity) railings? Looking at photos of the renderings the Second level appears to be mostly supported by the beams that would be extended when we expand our stadium. This can be seen in similar buildings at UCF (corrosion aside) and FAU.
I would guess (and it's just a guess) that the concourse cannot support the weight at least not the concourse around the end zones.

I don't think this is feasible.