It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 am

FIU vs UM 2019 Game at either Marlins or Hard Rock

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
And they were UM fans, too, one suspects.

Technically the UM fans would be the people bringing graven images into the city, like the members of our student body that wear their colors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 pm   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
At first I thought this might be the craziest idea ever.... But, something about it made me do some research.

First off the Cubs; Private Wrigley Bleachers. They are not temporary structures. Here is some history from Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Rooftops

Then I researched temporary bleachers and looked at the Proposed renderings of our completed stadium and photos of our current incomplete stadium.

Lets start with the temporary bleachers; the below link is a company that rents bleachers. As FIU has had temporary bleachers before at ground level both for Football and Baseball, I would suspect we already have a vendor.
https://bigtenrentals.com/
https://rentalbleachersinc.com/bleacher ... tor-chart/

The problem with the temporary bleachers is:
1. The footprint. If you have ever walked the current "second level" concourse you know that it is not infinitely wide. FIU would need to supply front walking/ADA access. In my opinion the maximum width of bleachers would be 40' or approx. 20 rows.
According to the website a 20 row by 210 ft long bleacher will hold 2440 seats. Assuming we could set 420' of total bleachers on the concourse, that would be just under 5000 seats. Lets say 7000 seats just the shits and giggles.

Below is our current stadium:

2. The Concourse: Can the concourse support the weight of the loaded (full to capacity) railings? Looking at photos of the renderings the Second level appears to be mostly supported by the beams that would be extended when we expand our stadium. This can be seen in similar buildings at UCF (corrosion aside) and FAU.
I would guess (and it's just a guess) that the concourse cannot support the weight at least not the concourse around the end zones.

I don't think this is feasible.

If the most you can do is 7,000 or so seats, that's not even worth it, even if the stadium could handle the added weight. That's still 20,000 or so under the 50,000 you can realistically expect for FIU-Miami.

Unless you can get at least 40,000 in that stadium somehow, I don't think you can play the Miami game at FIU. The school would lose too much money otherwise.

Diagodog wrote:
Surely, Shirley, there was thought given to the size of Ricardo Montalban Stadium when this home and home deal was made. How on earth could it possibly have just come to anyone's attention that the stadium holds 21,000 or so? And now it would seem that we have closeted UM fans coming on here wanting to hand over a home game to the Canes because they are terrified that playing at FIU might result in an upset for the ages, this under the same guise that had the money changers operating in the temple, ie, profit. Playing this game in Sweetwater is the morally correct thing to do. But that does not mean that the money changers, Pete, and the UM power cabal will not conspire to have their way. What a terrible shortchanging of the players, the few true fans, and yes, even the student "body" it will be.

I'm sure they knew that. And I'm sure that's why FIU will play this game elsewhere.

Playing at home may be morally correct, but athletics runs on money, not morals. And money is what you'll need if that second deck is ever going to be built.

I would be very surprised if UM were the ones insisting on playing this game elsewhere. It's an FIU home game. They would not get any of the proceeds (even if it was at Hard Rock). It wouldn't matter to them financially. My God, they've played at FAU and are set to play at Appalachian State this year. Does that sounds like a school who cares about stadium size?

If I had to bet, I'd say this is coming more from PG and the admin, not Miami. They know the potential windfall. They don't want to lose it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm   
Juvenile Panther

When Butch is gone what will FIU be left with ? FIU needs at a new facility asap even Kansas is building one .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUMiamiFan wrote:
When Butch is gone what will FIU be left with ? FIU needs at a new facility asap even Kansas is building one .

You are aware Kansas is a Big 12 school?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 pm   
Cougar

Lmao Kansas has a $1.6 BILLION endowment. I dont think FIU is there yet. Maybe if we pool some money together

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
Lmao Kansas has a $1.6 BILLION endowment. I dont think FIU is there yet. Maybe if we pool some money together

GoFund me page? LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:10 pm   
Golden Panther

We just built practice fields and have a decent gym. what else do you want butch to do like Kansas is doing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I live in Kansas and have been to Lawrence for KU games multiple times. There's tons of "donations" from alumni both for football and of course basketball. I guarantee that FIU does not compare to the old money being thrown into these programs. I think we are doing fine as long as we continue to improve ... results will bring changes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 pm   
Cougar

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/987445809452060674

D2 West Texas A&M getting a $38 million dollar stadium. Just playing devils advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:53 pm   
Golden Panther

1) West Texas A&M is in Canyon, Texas, which makes Okeechobee look like South Beach in comparison. Thus, there is not a student "body" there. They have actual living students who have nothing else to do but to go to games on weekends, other than go jackalope hunting, that is. There will be human attendance at the new stadium in Canyon, not just roosting pigeons as would be the only "fans" in any second deck in Sweetwater--just pigeons fan-ning their wings, Chia.

2) The stadium in Canyon is being funded by a 10 % surtax on hot dog sales at the parent A&M stadium. $38 million is chump change in the Texas A&M athletic budget. Their student managers make more money than Pete does. When and if we ever start selling decent hot dogs in Sweetwater, maybe THEN enough people will come to the games to merit a second deck.

Otherwise, it is really fascinating to read what you all have to say about expanding the stadium. Keep up the good work, lads.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
1) West Texas A&M is in Canyon, Texas, which makes Okeechobee look like South Beach in comparison. Thus, there is not a student "body" there. They have actual living students who have nothing else to do but to go to games on weekends, other than go jackalope hunting, that is. There will be human attendance at the new stadium in Canyon, not just roosting pigeons as would be the only "fans" in any second deck in Sweetwater--just pigeons fan-ning their wings, Chia.

2) The stadium in Canyon is being funded by a 10 % surtax on hot dog sales at the parent A&M stadium. $38 million is chump change in the Texas A&M athletic budget. Their student managers make more money than Pete does. When and if we ever start selling decent hot dogs in Sweetwater, maybe THEN enough people will come to the games to merit a second deck.

Otherwise, it is really fascinating to read what you all have to say about expanding the stadium. Keep up the good work, lads.

Notice I never said upper deck.

Outer facade, small tower for press and suites. Scoreboard on west endzone. That's all.

I still don't understand why we don't do like other stadiums and build offices or classrooms in to the stadium. The alumni center should be bult right in to the stadium. That way the stadium looks bigger and looks nicer on the outside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:

Outer facade, small tower for press and suites. Scoreboard on west endzone. That's all.

The alumni center should be bult right in to the stadium. That way the stadium looks bigger and looks nicer on the outside.

YES. YES. YES.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will move my tickets to the upper deck so that I can scare off the pigeons. :mrgreen:

Did we need to remove the bleachers from the north side to close out the stadium. Was that warranted? Was that needed? Based purely on results and known attendance numbers and following the logic used by all the forum members that are against the expansion of the stadium, it was not warranted or needed.

So, is it prudent to spend millions on our stadium to add temporary features that will be removed with the ultimate expansion of the stadium? By your (those against expansion) logic, we could improve the outer façade, add a temporary tower, add scoreboards on the west end zones, improve concessions, put more lipstick on our pig, etc....

If we aren't going to expand it, then we should leave it alone.

If the members of this forum, whom are some of the most hardcore followers, cannot see the need to expand the stadium to meet future needs or aspirations than we are hopeless.

It's really simple... Build for the future or wait.
The only good reason to not expand the stadium is if you think we will never fill beyond 22K. It's as simple as that.

As always, #PawsUp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Diagodog wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will move my tickets to the upper deck so that I can scare off the pigeons. :mrgreen:

Did we need to remove the bleachers from the north side to close out the stadium. Was that warranted? Was that needed? Based purely on results and known attendance numbers and following the logic used by all the forum members that are against the expansion of the stadium, it was not warranted or needed.

So, is it prudent to spend millions on our stadium to add temporary features that will be removed with the ultimate expansion of the stadium? By your (those against expansion) logic, we could improve the outer façade, add a temporary tower, add scoreboards on the west end zones, improve concessions, put more lipstick on our pig, etc....

If we aren't going to expand it, then we should leave it alone.

If the members of this forum, whom are some of the most hardcore followers, cannot see the need to expand the stadium to meet future needs or aspirations than we are hopeless.

It's really simple... Build for the future or wait.
The only good reason to not expand the stadium is if you think we will never fill beyond 22K. It's as simple as that.

As always, #PawsUp

I mean fiscal solvency is also a really good reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:38 am   
Cougar

Maybe if FIU had a better marketing team, we would sell more merchandise and could afford these upgrades to the stadium.

The social media platforms are always advising alumni which Targets are selling FIU merchandise and other stupid shyt. The stuff sold at target is the worst I've seen. There is so much they can do that will make people buy FIU gear.

I know it's been a touchy subject around here but people who didn't attend FIU will not buy our stuff unless some sort of connection to Miami or Dade county or 305 is attacked to it.

Like why the fck don't we have 305 shirts in FIU font with the panthers head as the 0.

Why aren't we selling sunblazer shirts. We are the lamest school ever when it comes to marketing. Auburn has 2 mascots, tigers and war eagle. Why can't we also have two? Panthers and sunblazers. The confusion alone will get people talking.

I have like 5 ideas for shirts that I'm just going to start making and wearing them instead of the hideous stuff being sold at target and the bookstore. Maybe I'll even start selling them.

We need the casual fans that didn't attend college to start buying in on FIU representing them like they buy into U of Miami. FIU is a freaking bubble that doesn't get the community involved. It's weird saying this but the school caters to much to the alumni. They need to involve the community more often and build that connection.

And yes, expand the stadium now, no need to wait until we actually need to like we did with the practice fields.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next