It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 am

Personal Assessment of Our Defense

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 am   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
I waited several days to write this post in order to cool down from from the anger and disappointment of our loss to FAU in order to be more subjective and measured in my thoughts. I must admit that I was not present at the game (I am on vacation out of state) but I did follow the action by way of computer (I did however give my two tickets to a work colleague of mine so I was represented at the game!). Obviously I did not see the game so my thoughts are based primarily on the observations I have made being present at all the other home games that we've played. That being said, allowing any team to rush for 400+ yards in a game is disastrous and entirely unacceptable and clearly indicates things have to be changed on the defensive side of the ball. Our defensive coordinator bears a great deal of responsibility for the debacle last Saturday. Though I was not there to see it, I assume that we stayed in our base 4-3 all game and never stunted, gamed or blitzed the entire evening. That was and is a recipe for disaster. Good defensive schemes include selective and varied blitz packages at EVERY level that the game is played. As a former head coach and offensive coordinator, teams that blitzed created all types of havoc and problems for me that required in game adjustments just to be able to do the simplest of things. It creates confusion of blocking assignments, creates pressure on the QB and clogs running lanes. When an offense (like FAU's) knows were the defenders are lined up every play and know that they are not moving anywhere else, then it's easy pickings for the offense. An offense attempts to dictate what it wants to do but the reverse is possible as well. When Geoff Collins was our DC, we saw the outstanding results from an aggressive, in your face attack defense with selective blitz packages. I contend that, and this might be shocking, that we already DO have the personnel/players to have an excellent defense, but the coaching scheme is terrible. If we want to get to the next level and win out we must change our defensive game plan and philosophy. Blitzing is a risk/reward type of strategy, but the rewards far outweigh the risks. By the way, I know I'm preaching to the choir!
Interested in what y'all have to say as always. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:54 am   
Golden Panther

My personal assessment after FAU:

Swiss Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:04 pm   
Puma

FIU Beisbol wrote:
My personal assessment after FAU:

Swiss Cheese

This legit made me laugh out loud.

In all seriousness Brent Guy better be looking for jobs right now. He has been terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 pm   
Golden Panther

HooterHater's personal assessment of our defense: it sucks. Could've spared yourself some typing, Phil.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 pm   
Golden Panther

Thanks for the write up Phil. I always enjoy reading your posts.

No comment on the FAU game really... i cant wait to put it behind me. We definitely got exposed. Hopefully there is something creative in the works for UTSA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 am   
Golden Panther

Yeah, I would imagine it is incredibly easy to scheme against us. I don't get why we only run a base look with no blitzes. One would have to think we could do better at the DC spot than Coach Guy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am   
Golden Panther

Pretty difficult to understand why Butch puts up with this ineffectual approach to defense. I know he believes that you should only do in games what you practice and do well in during the week and I heard him say prior to last week's game that we needed to do better at wrapping up tackles and setting the edge. Given that the defense had been marginally effective but the team was 6-2, he was probably willing to go along with the status quo. And he may feel the status quo will be sufficient for the remainder of the season, given the level of competition for the final 3 games. I don't know if the leopard's spots can be changed at this point in the season, to be quite frank, but I have to say that I expected a little bit more of a response from a head coach of his stature.

I also am a bit surprised at the lack of speed from the OL and most of the linebackers. Some of those big boys are clearly out of shape and not properly prepared to be playing at this level, especially not against an effective hurry-up offense run by a wildcat QB. And they flat out quit in the fourth quarter. Yes, I am sure that the teams left on the schedule will do their best to exploit an atrocious run defense, but I don't think any of them have anyone of the talent of Singletary or Whyte or the last chance U. QB. We ought to be able to eke out two victories on the road, and we ought to be able to match up with Marshall. If we are matched up against a team in a bowl with an effective run game, however, we will be shellacked, and embarrassed, and if BD comes away saying "Geez, we just weren't prepared for that," a la last year's inexplicable comments regarding lack of a backup QB, then I think that it would be really sad. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm   
Golden Panther

I agree our defensive performance against FAU was inexcusable. Jobs should be lost over that performance. And our coaching staff is definitely to blame. I agree with you fiuphil, the coaches' scheme is terrible. And they show little ability to adjust during games.

The DL has been a HUGE disappointment this year for the most part. Except for a few quarters, they have failed to stuff the run and running lanes, and have put little consistent pressure on the QB. They look like they take plays off. I hate to say this... and I apologize to them if they have been injured, but it's fair to say at this point that both Tart and Humphrey have been busts.

But my biggest disappointment with our defense is our LBs. Aside from Sage Lewis and a handful of plays from Edwin Freeman, they have been pathetic. And I blame the coaches for this. Where in the world is Donovan Georges??? I'm tired of asking that. Is he injured? I would have started him game #1.

I was disappointed with our LBs before the season began. First, a guy I thought would be starting this year--Shakur Cooper--decided to leave the team. Second, Joshua Sanders never made it to campus. Then, I never bought into the move to LB for Fermin Silva. I think we can all agree that move didn't work out. Then, playing Rocky Jacques-Louis over Donovan Georges made no sense. And whatever happened to Brandon James? I thought he was going to be a contributor this year.

Our LB situation, outside of the steady Sage Lewis, has been a whole series of fails.

I hope the coaching staff can get it corrected by the end of the season. And I hope to see a lot of LBs come signing day.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University