It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:46 pm

National Signing Day

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:27 pm   
Golden Panther

Well this is interesting, Arkansas has had multiple players leave the team recently.

From the linebackers, I believe only one has a FL connection, former 3 star Alexy Jean-Baptiste from Pompano Beach, FL.

https://247sports.com/Player/Alexy-Jean-Baptiste-61353/high-school-106650/

The running back is very likely Maleek Williams, former 3 star player from Punta Gorda FL .

https://247sports.com/Player/Maleek-Williams-80313/college-189014/

He seems to have great size.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:32 pm   
Golden Panther

Alexy Jean-Baptiste is official, at least 247 sports is reporting it.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Arkansas-Scholarship-Distribution-Chart-1-9-18-127539248/

"The last update to the Scholarship Distribution Chart was just before Christmas. The most recent changes include the exit of junior linebacker Alexy Jean-Baptiste who is transferring to FIU, the declaration of junior cornerback Ryan Pulley to enter the NFL Draft and the commitment flip of cornerback Gregory Brooks from Mississippi State to Arkansas"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm   
Golden Panther

They are both now official. Nice scoop by FIUPIKE.

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/fiufootball/status/1083042471079276545?s=21[/Tweet]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 pm   
Golden Panther

They are now both officially Panthers. It came out in FIU Athletics' Release: https://fiusports.com/news/2019/1/9/fiu ... h=football

Both highly regarded, maybe Maleek Williams a bit more (couple of 4-Stars ratings plus recruited by everybody in SEC), as high school players. Both...and the third from (presumably) Iowa would have to sit out this season, so they will be available for the 2020 season. Jean-Baptiste will be then a Senior, and Williams a Junior for that season.

Impressive credential as high school players indeed. Won't count for this year's class for recruiting rankings stuff, but this class got so much more better now.

Welcome to FIU, Alexy and Maleek!

Good stuff, FIUPike!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm   
Golden Panther

Great job, FIUPIKE. Thanks for the heads up. Really excited about both of these guys. Both are very athletic. Maleek Williams is a monster. The dude got huge after going to Arkansas. I think the pic below is from when he was still in high school.

Here is his high school film: https://www.hudl.com/profile/3287217/Maleek-Williams

And Alexy is simply the definition of an athlete. He played literally all over the field in high school. I could see him playing both OLB and as an edge rusher, similar to what Fermin Silva did this past season.

Alexy high school film: https://www.hudl.com/profile/2589895/Alexy-JeanBaptiste

P.S. I'm guessing the Iowa DB is Joshua Turner?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 pm   
Golden Panther

This is sort of like reading news about an actual functioning football program. The mind simply reels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm   
Golden Panther

How soon is September?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPIKE wrote:
Look out for some Razorbacks and a Hawkeye... :D

Right on!

https://fiusports.com/news/2019/1/10/fi ... sfers.aspx

Quote:
MIAMI (Jan. 10, 2019) – The FIU football team received another pair of transfers on Thursday, with the announcement of Logan Gunderson from ASA College in Miami and Josh Turner from Iowa joining the Panthers.

Gunderson spent the past two seasons at ASA College in Miami, playing on the offensive line for the Silver Storm. Turner played in 11 games in 2018 as a defensive back, after redshirting his first season in Iowa City.

FIU added two transfers on Wednesday in Alexy Jean-Baptiste and Maleek Williams from Arkansas, as Gunderson and Turner add to an already impressive haul of transfers for the new year.

Gunderson, a native of Jacksonville, Florida, was a four-year varsity letterman out of Trinity Christian Academy. Gunderson was a part of four state championship teams while at Trinity Christian.

Turner, a native of Delray Beach, Florida, earned five tackles as a redshirt freshman and showing promise as a young defensive back in the Hawkeye secondary. While at American Heritage, Turner lettered in football and track, while also competing for the prep rugby team. He recorded 53 tackles and 17 pass break-ups as a senior and earned touchdowns rushing and in the kick return game.

Welcome to FIU, Joshua!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 am   
Golden Panther

Another pair of Panthers of have been added: JUCO signee Logan Gunderson and newly announced transfer, Joshua Turner, from Iowa. Turner signed with Iowa as part of their 2017 class and comes to FIU entering his redshirt sophomore season. Turner held multiple P5 offers before signing with Iowa. Turner played in all 12 games last year, so he will likely have to miss the 2019 season.

https://fiusports.com/news/2019/1/10/fiu-football-adds-another-pair-of-transfers.aspx

The talent on this roster is continuing to explode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am   
Golden Panther

Hah, Fanatic and I shared at the same time. Btw, Josh Turner was teammates with Noah Curtis, who both graduated from American Heritage as part of the 2017 class.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Hah, Fanatic and I shared at the same time. Btw, Josh Turner was teammates with Noah Curtis, who both graduated from American Heritage as part of the 2017 class.

Yes we did!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am   
Golden Panther

Eric Henry already has a story on the announcement:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/1/10/18176220/fiu-adds-another-transfer-from-a-power-5-program-in-db-josh-turner-butch-davis

Notice this piece from the article:

Quote:
Turner joins former a pair of Arkansas Razorbacks in Maleek Williams and Alexy Jean-Baptiste, as the third player to transfer to FIU from a power-five this week.

As of now, all three are projected to miss the 2019 season due to NCAA transfer rules. However, it’s believed that there’s a possibility they may be able to play right away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am   
Golden Panther

Exciting news, making sure everybody out there (fans, media, students, recruits) know FIU Football is getting better and players who were recruited by several P5 schools at their time. Seems to be a new strategy/policy to announce all these great transfers joining our program. Depth will be amazing in the coming years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm   
Golden Panther

It is great news, not only in terms of on-field production, but in terms of program legitimacy. It is a shame these transfers can't suit up against the Insufferable Front-Runners of Coral Gables this fall, but even without them, I am hoping this next year's tilt won't be the same kind of "Oh, we're just happy you deigned to play us," kind of encounter. I'd like to see some smash-mouth, competitive football going on. That is why the prospect of holding the game at the worst-located stadium in the U.S. gripes me so. What, we're going to put a picture of Roary in the end zone and call it a "home" game?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:16 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
It is great news, not only in terms of on-field production, but in terms of program legitimacy. It is a shame these transfers can't suit up against the Insufferable Front-Runners of Coral Gables this fall, but even without them, I am hoping this next year's tilt won't be the same kind of "Oh, we're just happy you deigned to play us," kind of encounter. I'd like to see some smash-mouth, competitive football going on. That is why the prospect of holding the game at the worst-located stadium in the U.S. gripes me so. What, we're going to put a picture of Roary in the end zone and call it a "home" game?

We will be the “away” team regardless of venue. But at least at #TheCage we can make it season ticket Only and satisfy ticket sales!

But this game will be at Marlins Park or Hard Rock! Most likely Marlins Park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next