It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 am

FIU fires DC?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:41 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Thought I'd pass this along. I know you guys want FIU to find a new DC and it appears you have gotten your wish...

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

Quote:
FIU: FootballScoop has just learned that the defensive coordinator job has opened up at FIU. Head coach Mario Christobal is now looking to fill both the OC and DC positions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:47 pm   
Juvenile Panther

fauowls44 wrote:
Thought I'd pass this along. I know you guys want FIU to find a new DC and it appears you have gotten your wish...

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

Quote:
FIU: FootballScoop has just learned that the defensive coordinator job has opened up at FIU. Head coach Mario Christobal is now looking to fill both the OC and DC positions.

Also, your OC is headed to Marshall as their O-line coach.

Quote:
Marshall: As expected, South Dakota wide receivers coach Steve Peterson has officially joined the Marshall staff under Doc Holliday as the offensive coordinator. FIU offensive coordinator Bill Legg has joined the staff as offensive line coach.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:44 pm   
Puma

Alright, I'm glad we're taking action on the defensive side of the ball... but Legg leaving is quite a surprise. Good luck to him. I wonder what this is going to mean for next season...

Listen to Panther Sports Talk Live on Radiate FM and FIUSM.com on Mon, Wed and Fri from 10-11 a.m.! Call in at 305-FIU-3575!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:59 pm   
Cougar

WOO HOO!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:41 pm   
Puma

impact on recruiting?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:22 pm   
Golden Panther

I am a bit upset that Legg left, especially to take an assistant coaching job as opposed to a OC job, but it is what it is. I hope that we can get a couple of guys that can really shore up our defense and improve our offense. Obviously I am very high on Billy Rolle for DC, but I'll see what we get.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 pm   
Site Admin

Yeah, for those that thought that FCS HC's were coming to be our coordinators, this should be a reality check. We are losing our OC to a C-USA team not to be their OC but to be a position coach. We just might get a High School coach in here, which would be a terrible mistake as they have proven to be a significant learning curve. I say MC, look at what Sparano did and do that. Tony was also an OL coach that went directly to being an NFL Head Coach, but he got 2 experienced coordinators in Paul Pasqueloni and Dan Henning to run his D and O. MC no longer has the luxury of letting his coordinators get on the job training, they need to know what they are doing. Go F I U!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:24 pm   
Puma

My question is with the replacement of both coordinators if FIU has another down year whats would that mean for Mario?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:28 pm   
Puma

gpantera wrote:
impact on recruiting?

very little.. But we have the best recruiting tool in the entire FBS, but we let Lane Kippin and Tennessee beat us to it. Mario start sending Dazzlers to High school recruits games!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:54 pm   
Golden Panther

It's all about the $$BENJAMINS$$ !!!

The lack of a real booster organization is hurting us. Other schools use those funds to make hires and fund their programs. Not sure what we can get for $130k and $120k respectively...

Waiting patiently....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:59 am   
Golden Panther

We pay some of the highest salaries in the Sun Belt for our coaching. Obviously we did not see the results on either side of the ball this year. If you ask me, Legg is in free-fall, from Purdue to FIU to a position coach for a non-AQ. And Galiano was a no brainer. Good job PG/MC..let's get those positions filled and get 'er done!

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 am   
Juvenile Panther

Legg didn't get this offense going, I am happy he is gone. The offense had no imagination, no punch. Hopefully we get somebody that understand our players and can take full advantage of the quality of them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:51 pm   
Puma

We definetly need upgrgades... I'll be curious to see who we bring in.

Listen to Panther Sports Talk Live on Radiate FM and FIUSM.com on Mon, Wed and Fri from 10-11 a.m.! Call in at 305-FIU-3575!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 am   
Puma

Funny enough was peaking to a couple of defensive players and they said the majority of the defensive HATED the scheme Galiano implemented. It was called the Blizzard, and how it was explained was garbage. They are pretty excited that they will be changing schemes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 am   
Golden Panther

That's actually pretty good news bp. I noticed that the William & Mary DC was voted coordinator of the year for D-IAA; if it's all about the scheme and how it's coached, maybe he might be a good choice.

"...before I go I wanted to verify what you good people have long suspected of this paper’s coverage of FIU sports." Pete Pelegrin