It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 pm

2011 Commitments

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:07 pm   
Puma

I like that the Staff is concentrating on bringing talent to the OLine, but one thing that concerns me is a lot of the HS Linemen committing is ranging froom 250 - 260. I do understand that they are High school seniors and will probably be two years until they contribute but I look at the difficulty of Derrick Wimberly and Stephen Bailey to put on weight after two years and think the incoming Linemen should be 280+.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:53 pm   
Golden Panther

Yep, that's a concern, but I guess our coaches/strength coordinators are counting on 20-40 pounds of muscle down the road on these taller, leaner kids they are taking a chance on. In particular, it appears that Reay has just put on 30-40 pounds of muscle in a little over a year (based on the report and article) while in high school, working out by himself most of the time. His upside, weight-wise and talent-wise, appears...on the surface...to be huge, and it is a high risk, I agree.

Last year they took Rupert Bryan at 255, and he is now listed at 276 and slated to either start, or be #2 in depth chart. It "works" with some, and it doesn't work as good with others. It seems to be that recruiting huge (or at least big 280+), powerful, mobile, and successful O-Line guys is a lot harder than say, "skill" players as a whole, but in particular here in South Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:22 pm   
Golden Panther

I've heard from a lot of recruiters that 2011 is a "down" class for OL. Not a lot of great big guys available, and a ton have already received offers and made early commits.
That said, witt the offense FUI runs I'm sure the coaches are putting more emphasis on footwork, quickness and aggressiveness than pure bulk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 am   
Golden Panther

Great article on L. Edwards (LB) Northwestern.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/22/1 ... looks.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:18 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Great article on L. Edwards (LB) Northwestern.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/22/1 ... looks.html

A good article from the Post-Pete Herald? BITEYOURTONGUEOMG

OHHHHHHH wait it's good because it isn't about FIU yet, once it's FIU-related they'll hand it off to Beasley and it'll suck sweaty moose ..... horns

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 am   
Golden Panther

Come on guy....You've made also your point countless times on numerous other threads that are relevant to the issue of coverage, in the distant past, and now this. Let's try to get over it.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:11 am   
Golden Panther

Here's my/our conversation with MC after last years Alumni Preview...
A group of us at Sec. 112 stayed in the parking lot behind the stadium and infront of the Tamiami Soccer fields for about 2 hrs after the preview. We were drinking and discussing/solving (LoL) some of the issues with FIU... some at section 112 are students/some are employees/alumni/and former students that moved on... so the time flew by very quickly... A very heated discussion between Rosenburg vs. Maidique... helped pass the time. At some point we noticed MC and his wife walking out of the stadium heading diagnol from us, so we did the most respectful thing we in our state could do.... Yell and get his attention and invited him to join us for a bruskie.

He actually yelled something back about late and walking his wife to the car, which was cool so we laughed it off and kept eating $hit.

Why I'm I rehashing this.... because of what happened next... and how it relates to the OLine recruiting and conversation above....

MC came back (alone) and joined us. He did refuse a drink (saying he's been relatively dry in his post college days) just to add. But we asked him many questions, some stupid others ok... but it was the conversation over the OLINE where he went on a small discertation and here it is (in my recolation):

He said that when they arrive at the program, that there was a severe drop in talent (I question this only because I believe Strock did what he had to do to keep the program alive, including moving too D-1 too soon, you think our "fan" base would of endured three additional years of St. Petters College?) however his point was that made that only a handfull of guys were D-1 talent or at the least the kind of talent he played with in his time. He said the OL was in bad shape and was the one face of any football Program that takes the longest to develop. He added that Ideally you want a OL recruit to come in, red shirt one year to gaing strenght and weight, play behid some one in year 2 (first elligible year), compete on year 3 (second year of elligbility), and start on year three when their body has finally matured.

Thats the wish list... For us that was not the case... Mainly because of lack of Depth, lack of Recruiting the line,, like of schollies, facilites.... etc. Granted he was/is responsible for last years mess because under his own admission, he should of had a few guys in the weight room getting ready to challenge for time instead of having two pure Frosh play significan time... SO the emphasis on the line in last class an this class is Great to see even if the guys are alittle light... cause with pure sophopmores at 3 positions, two freshman pushing for time, and a few Jucoos, the new guys can sit and grow accordingly....

You all know I've been critical o him as a HC, but critizism is constructive and needed for improvemnnt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:13 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Come on guy....You've made also your point countless times on numerous other threads that are relevant to the issue of coverage, in the distant past, and now this. Let's try to get over it.....

Actually I never really talked about the post-Herald coverage, it was poking-fun-at. (I agree we get the shaft on coverage sometimes, btw.)

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:17 pm   
Golden Panther

Clinton Taylor did good against Carol City "Clinton Taylor picked up key first downs, leading the group with eight catches for 120 yards."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:45 pm   
Golden Panther

Miami Central is 1-1
Lost opening game against nationally ranked Camdem County High (out of state)
They dropped form No.2 to No. 24 in the Country...
How about Cato?
Rakeem Cato
Att Comp Yrds TD INT
41 61 558 5 0

against two great national teams... the second was some school from Texas...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:52 am   
Golden Panther

Chia, I think you meant 41 of 61, not 61 of 41. Rakeem's numbers are really impressive. Clinton Taylor, who is seriously flying under the radar, has been doing damage. I hope he stays committed to FIU, he is really beasting it out there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Dylan Warner, QB from Oklahoma is committed to FIU.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:41 pm   
Site Admin

Did you enjoy your visit to So. Fla? How did you think the recruiting process went. Tell us a little more about it. Thanks! and lastly, Welcome to the Family!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:03 pm   
Golden Panther

That's great news! Welcome to the FIU family, Dylan. You will now be part of building something special.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:06 pm   
Golden Panther

Dylan, section 112 welcomes you to the FIU family!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next