It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:55 am

THE Stadium Construction Thread

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:43 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Has anything started going up in the stadium yet???

I drove by there today and it was hard to see through the blue screens. From what I saw, it looks about the same as Johnny's pic. I didn't see any structures up yet. They were working on some holes in the ground that looked like they were for piping or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 am   
Golden Panther

PG needs to grease the Latin Builders Association! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 pm   
Golden Panther

Let's start building vertical!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 pm   
Golden Panther

Anything new yet? I was hoping that news of C-USA movement would pick up our construction pace. Is there a minimum size for stadiums in C-USA now? I know there used to be...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 pm   
Golden Panther

We need the fiu alums and community to buy season tickets.
Fake mi gente, FIU es tu universidad...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:07 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Roary, are the sales not going well? You got some inside info?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:46 pm   
Golden Panther

That's not even a issue this time of year. We need to but Tim to show the CUSA that this a good move.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:24 am   
Golden Panther

We need to sell more season tickets... but not just that, we need actual Butts in actuals seats... For instance, we've had some nice attendance numbers announced... but when you look in the stands, you know those numbers are off...

Let's just get people in the stadium to witness how good the product is!

Let's build a stadium we can all be proud of!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm   
Golden Panther

So, just curious... why don't we build the alumni center at FIU stadium?

1. FIU is trying to make the stadium and FIU football the source of pride for FIU, alumni center should be a part of that.
2. The building, attached to the stadium, would be a great way to hide the inner steel bowels of the stadium which looks a bit cheap and shabby. The alumni center as part of the stadium would make the stadium look SO much nicer.
3. I didn't think having only 2 reasons would look good, so I added 3 reasons...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm   
Juvenile Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
So, just curious... why don't we build the alumni center at FIU stadium?

1. FIU is trying to make the stadium and FIU football the source of pride for FIU, alumni center should be a part of that.
2. The building, attached to the stadium, would be a great way to hide the inner steel bowels of the stadium which looks a bit cheap and shabby. The alumni center as part of the stadium would make the stadium look SO much nicer.
3. I didn't think having only 2 reasons would look good, so I added 3 reasons...

It is my understanding that one of the first things that President Rosenberg wanted to tackle when elected was the Alumni Center. In his view, he wanted the Alumni Center in a separate location from the Stadium. He wanted ACenter to be its independent building, and also the Stadium to be a standalone facility. It makes sense, since that is the model at all the new ACenters across the country, where the buildings have become more of an "event facility" (weddings, birthday parties, retreats, etc) and big time revenue generators for the schools. By putting it next to the Stadium, it limits the type of events you can do, while also killing all events that could be hosted on game-days (which are huge revenue generating days for ACenters).

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:26 pm   
Golden Panther

I don't know about that. I don't see why we can't make the AC a part of the stadium, and still have it be a big, expensive building with plenty of room and decor to make it what Rosenberg wants. It would certainly look nice attached to the stadium and would benefit both buildings. Look at FS's stadium. Not that the alumni center is attached, but the stadium is multi-use and makes the outside facade look so much better than most stadiums.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:41 pm   
Juvenile Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
I don't know about that. I don't see why we can't make the AC a part of the stadium, and still have it be a big, expensive building with plenty of room and decor to make it what Rosenberg wants. It would certainly look nice attached to the stadium and would benefit both buildings. Look at FS's stadium. Not that the alumni center is attached, but the stadium is multi-use and makes the outside facade look so much better than most stadiums.

You ask why, I'll tell you the reasons I've heard: space, ingress/egress, conflict on game-days, and fear of scaring non-athletic interest crowd (the artsy folks - which are a lot, and they have $$$) . If you drive by the stadium now and see the dorm construction going on, the spacing issues make total sense.

The outside facade is going to look much better, so don't worry about that, the "look" will be similar to the front of the U.S. Century Bank Arena, with lots of glass. The North side will be a huge tower, with an interior/exterior 2nd level Stadium Club, 20 suites, coaches boxes, press box, operations room, kitchen (which is HUGE for the stadium, we need one in our facility), and broadcast areas.. The architect renderings have already been made and approved (I've seen them), it's a matter of $$$ (that's why they created the Stadium Campaign Taskforce, Chaired by David Alfonso and co-chaired by Kirk Landon), and now with the C-USA money I expect the north tower will be done much sooner that the originally projected 2016. If you want to expedite the process, call Joey in the Panther Club and designate your donation to the "Stadium Construction Fund".

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm   
Juvenile Panther

And the stadium is already multi-use like FSU's, the Fieldhouse hosts facilities for all our sports, and the South Side suites/stadium club are used for events and classes currently, as is the Football team meeting room.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm   
Golden Panther

Beisbol, I like the idea of adding a non-athletic building to the stadium. I thought adding the student services(?) building would've made a ton of sense. But I don't think an alumni center makes sense. That needs to be separate for reasons already discussed. The stadium is far from built out and there's plenty of time to add some sort of non-athletic facility to the stadium to improve exterior aesthetics.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUNole, the dorms (old and currently under construction) being so close to the stadium and the plans to have "main street" leading to the stadium does support your idea to put the student services building right there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next