It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:19 am

WTF HAPPENED Story of the 2012 FIU Panthers

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:54 pm   
Golden Panther

Consider this my ENC 1101 end of term paper.. I hope I can make professor Halfhide proud, where ever he may be.

He used to say tell us that every person has potential and its what you do with it that matters. As stated in years pas I did not earn an A in ENC1101 and will not pretend that my writing has improved...lol

The book is/was written and sold by an Anonymous writer, as such the claim that he was a member of the coaching staff has to be accepted by the reader. In red you will see stupid comments by me.

The author begins by making declarative statements as to why he wrote it and that the use of information from 2011 is strictly for back ground and "context".

Amongst the opening remarks
"...am grateful for the opportunity that the school and MC gave me. "
"I'm not in love with the institution. It isn't because they fired me"
"I owe this to the fans. However few they were, especially at the end. I owe it to them. You deserve to know what went on." thanks!!! We have endured, will endure
"I'm going to miss the Dazzlers, the FIU Dance team" I miss them as I write this...lol

It has long been rumored that MC was indeed in the hot seat after the 2009 season and this is restated here with the idea that 2010 had to be a big year for MC to keep his job. This is important later as he states another often stated rumor that MC and PG had been at odds for a while and that Garcia was just waiting for the chance to fire MC. This despite the contract extension..

The writer flashes back to the end of the BoB bowl game and reminds us that the end of the game was "marred by anemic offensive play and a post game brawl where players and coaches mixed it up with the thundering Herd..." (See YouTube)

The team is said to have discipline issues, one things that Don Strock was blamed for. This despite the strong presence and constant vigilance the MC directed and required his coaches to keep. An example was missing game consoles at the BoB Bowl that drew the anger of the bowl commissioners. Including a search of the busses by our coaches.

Included in the disciplinary issues was a "player mutiny" by our beloved panther and then Senior TY and junior WT. both players he claimed refused to practice and o a walk through o prepare for Marshall. This he claims was the beginning of players rebelling openly in our disastrous 2012. However it is said that WT never again acted up..but the idea that MC cold be challenge he feels was established at the end of 2011.

Players such as Wiston Frazer were called out in this book as lazy and full of ...o know what. Frazer he said came in a hungry and good kid but had turned into a undermining careless player by the end. Nick England he said openly threatened to transfer to ODU and so much so that MCs first visit after the season ended was to visit Brett Sheeninan a commit who had played with Nick and were friends in fear that Nicks rants were not deterring him from NSD. We know that Brett ended his commitment.

EJ Hilliard is called out as a selfish kid and soaked and moped around causing issues among the team. Implying that EJ was more interested in his twitter profile and trademarking catch phrases like "Jack" and the now trending "GUMP". EJ had a sit down with MC and EJ Sr to put an end to his childishness. Hard to believe, as I would figure that a guy like EJ who enrolled early would be all about the team...who knows. But the reason given is that EJ was not happy losing the starting role to JM after JM was deemed healthy enough to play again and again...

There's more... I have to put my thoughts in order

....to be continued.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 am   
Golden Panther

Pretty good first synopsis, chia. Thanks for the information, pretty interesting and, in some cases, revealing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 am   
Cougar

Figured EJ was sour grapes. I recall he posted on twitter to something of the effect of "it's always the people who don't play the game who always have something to say". Not a good a good idea to criticize the fans who watch football and hope he's grown up. FIU needs to have a social media manager for Athletics. Just look at WW Facebook page pics. The team is going miss the senior leadership of Cyp and Trex.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 am   
Golden Panther

Continuing with the book... On MC and PG or PG vs. PG...

We have all read about it...
PG's rumored penny pitching, self-promoting, limelight wanting attitude, and of course... His lady friends.

Remember my audience; so who's reading this. This is meant for the members of this board and members of the previous versions of this Matrix/forum (of which I was not a member). While guest and new members are always welcome, I will assume that I'm talking to the guys that read up on FIU athletics fairly often...so, I will assume you know what I'm talking about when I say... "We have all read about it"

As I write this the MH has posted a story on a new hire (Sean Todd) and updated a story on Kedrick Rhodes and made reference to this book:
Quote:
• as an e-book with a title unfit for Miami Herald publication, but subtitled A Story of the 2012 FIU Panthers Sun Belt Preseason Champions, claims to tell behind-the-scenes stories about FIU’s 2012 crash from preseason Sun Belt favorites to 3-9. The anonymous author said he was an FIU coach last season.

FIU athletic director Pete Garcia had no comment on the e-book, which criticizes several involved in the program: Garcia for being cheap, former coach Mario Cristobal for being too rigid, the coaching staff for openly feuding in front of players and several players for “entitled” behavior.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/17/3 ... rylink=cpy

Above I may have touched on some of those "entitled behaviors" players and may have left out others who were not so instrumental or seldom heard off.

As to MC he is described as a strong rigid man of character. Proud and demanding of respect because of the values instilled on him from his father and a man of tireless work ethic. Also, MC is said to hold grudges and bred that pattern to his assistants. even causing MC to have some assistants whom he had brought into college ball against him. Even so that a few openly laughed at how MC was being portrayed in Thamels and Dobbs columns.

Basically that MC was anything but how he was presented in the articles...

Despite being a demanding coach on academics he took chances on transfers in order to win...we know this. all midMajors do. And had staff check up on players to ensure they were in class.
Also described as private and with very little ties to the coaching football industry. this could be true, after all MC was a position coach at both rutgers and UM (along with other duties).

and interesting tidbit was the authors belief that MC thought Scott Satterfield had quit coaching hard and that he regretted the hire. Scott is the HC at Appy.

it is said that MC thought that the DL had SEC type talent with Trex, Hickman, Isame, and Paul. all which only Tourek has moved on.

Pete Garcia's penny pinching...
His frugal approach to summer schollies is blamed for creating problems ..I'll leave it at that, this is best told over a beer cause if true can severely impact recruiting.

The relationship:
The author alludes to amongst the reasons for the PG/MC divorce was that MC was offended by PG's lifestyle choices. His parading of his female friends and made a remark that for one away game the PG did not fly with team, the players were disappointed in not seeing and grading his companion. It's no secret if you have read the accusations by anonymous person on MHs blog that PG ...well you know.

Author indicates that MC had become too popular even beyond PG and that was a no-no...as reference before it is believed that PG had been wanting to get MC Out.

Finally on this... It was said that although MC was truly shocked by the outcome of his meeting with PG on 12/5, that those truly in the "know" had expected it..

Also described is the SAAC and MCs opinion of it and the administration. I won't go into more detail cause if true, the SAAC needs new direction and FIU needs a bigger commitment to Football...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:41 am   
Golden Panther

"it is said that MC thought that the DL had SEC type talent with Trex, Hickman, Isame, and Paul. all which only Tourek has moved on. "

**Not sure what the author is trying to say here, but Tourek got drafted and the other 3 guys are all NFL talents based on a friend I have that represents players rated for rounds 1 -3 in the draft. They obviously under-achieved last year as a D-LINE.

My guess is that this was written by Coach Calhoun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:49 am   
Golden Panther

"Also described as private and with very little ties to the coaching football industry. this could be true, after all MC was a position coach at both rutgers and UM (along with other duties). "

LMAO at this one.... really ?? He was so not connected and not networked that the staff did a coaching clinic tour with BCS staffs in the off-seasons, brought in Leach for coaches clinics and landed on his feet at the consensus #1 college program in the country over the last 6 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 am   
Golden Panther

you can have few "ties" and still attract stuff like that though

it's a matter of right place right time, just like in any business

he probably has more ties now that he's in 'bama

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm   
Golden Panther

Thanks for sharing, chia. Very detailed and interesting info from an alleged assistant coach, but definitely an insider with his subjective opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm   
Golden Panther

I've been told that yes the book was removed because of legal actions taken by persons mentioned in the book.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 pm   
Puma

Thanks Chia. I think DJN nailed it a couple of weeks ago talking about how hard it is for a school/program like FIU to succeed. You're left with recruiting guys with some talent but with grade/discipline problems. If all that he says is true it does make last year a lot more understandable. It also makes MC's firing more understandable and easier to live with. That being said, it's going to take a really special coach to make it work here, and I don't know if we've got that guy. Seems like you'd need a fresh, young, energetic guy with a fire in his belly to get it done. Or maybe they're thinking Turner is just a temp. We'll see. But if half of what this person says is true, I guess my choice would be to take a chance on some new blood.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 pm   
Golden Panther

Theres more...about two more long posts worth. Just bear with me.
Leaving some good stuflf for last.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:15 pm   
Puma

chiaPanther wrote:
Theres more...about two more long posts worth. Just bear with me.
Leaving some good stuflf for last.

Oh great, everybody loves a tease... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm   
Site Admin

Come on Chia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPIKE wrote:
"it is said that MC thought that the DL had SEC type talent with Trex, Hickman, Isame, and Paul. all which only Tourek has moved on. "

**Not sure what the author is trying to say here, but Tourek got drafted and the other 3 guys are all NFL talents based on a friend I have that represents players rated for rounds 1 -3 in the draft. They obviously under-achieved last year as a D-LINE.

My guess is that this was written by Coach Calhoun.

That wouldn't be my guess. If I had to guess I'd say it was Mirabal or Pop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:56 pm   
Golden Panther

Continueing with the On coaches/ Graduate assistants and other...

But first the disclaimer...no one has taken ownership of this book...the author states he was a member of the football coaching staff, so again some items may be true, some items maybe the authors on thoughts projected on to others, and some well....lies

Cramsey - writer states that MC was excited to land Cramsey. Cramsey was interviewed by MC and Mirabal in 2012 at the American Football Coaches Association Convention. And he was chosen over Nick Rolovich (hired by Nevada). Cramsey and MC differed in approach; due largely to Chip Cramsey believed in reps while MC's approach was Hands on. This was a far different approach as Cramsey used made corrections in the classroom not field. The Offensive staff had been accustomed to MCs style. There is no reference to wether or not this became an issue.

Directions from MC to coaches...
Per author Coaches were not allowed to tell players who was traveling. Mainly because they didn't know. MC would make the final decision on Thursday evening and the ops staff would notify the position coaches.

An example of problems was give as the author says that on one Thursday evening Johnny Durante could OT be reached. He is described as moody, reserved, and nonresponsive... Durante did not make trip..claim was that his father was ill.

On Local players - claims that this is sometimes an issue as players used their home lives as excuses to get out of team responsibilities. Infact claiming that this is a draw back of having such a strong recruiting area.

Writer notes that at FIU all coaches and staff had to purchase their own tickets out of pocket. And as such some coaches and their immediate family didn't attend games.

Juan Navarro - author writes that MC helped raise Navarro in terms of NCAA football. Helped bring him to UM and then to FIU. By 2012 Navarro was done with MC and openly mocked his interviews and the way MC was portrayed to other members of the staff. Claims that Navarro thought Cristobal was anything but the leader he was claim as. This is large contrast to the Mexicoach Twitter account that at times uses the very funny. ..#theHouseThatMCbuilt..and to close it is stated that MC knew what Navarro thought of him.
Also stated was that Navarro was not able to control the defiant Fraser.

Interesting statement:
Quote:
Cristobal had few friends in and out of the game. His closest friends on staff were Alex Mirabal.....and Dennis "Train" Smith.

On Mirabal...
"People liked Mirabal....Mirabal commanded respect"

On Smith...
"....They (people) did not like Smith". Smith is said that other coaches felt he did things to undermine Cristobals view of them and was perceived as a back stabber.

On Cristobal...
"he cared a great deal about the student athletes and their welfare but he was not tuned with their needs."
Also disclosed that Dolphins special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi a friend of Cristobal suggested the switch of special teams coordinator from Coach Wright to overwhelmed Popovich. Note that under Wright we had had one of the best special teAms in the country...in 2012 not so much...the switch was made with out justification according to the writer. Wright took demotion in stride and didn't voice his opinion.

Author writes...
Quote:
Mostly everyone else knew to stay away and just work hard because the prospect of a job, any job not at FIU was on the horizon if they could just pull off a fantastic season.

Ponce and Chad Smith- Ponce and Smith had an altercation after the Louisville game in the shower and locker room that had to be broken up by MC and Juan Lozano. Ponce was in the wrong and Chad was reprimanded...Smith than distanced himself from MC and the rest of the staff.

Chad Smith - worked hard over the summers and grew tired of all the changes MC did to the weight groups and times.

The debacle to ULL - the flight was over weight and therefore severely delayed. Administrators yelled ant guest and later to the airline employees. Equipment Manager volunteered to drive the equipment to Lafayette. This was a PG special and MC displayed his displeasure to travel arrangements. A delay of 3 hrs.

On fresh Raymond Jackson following the loss to the Cajun's -
Quote:
...Jackson was telling everyone that he should have stayed in Louisiana to play for the Ragin' Cajun. He made sure that other players heard this. He talked about it on the plane ride home.
. Sadly no one shut him up...

On froth Nick England...
Quote:
...coaches thought highly of but who was a malingerer. He constantly complained about everything in the program and was open about wanting to transfer...

Something else on Garcia after Troy game....
Garcia departed quickly with his date taking one of the buses...staff members had to stand on the buses that took the players back to airport..
Quote:
there was no room for losers on Garcia's Bus