It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Pet peeve

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:28 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Let me start off by saying that what I'm about to say makes absolutely no difference with respect to athletic performance, simply something that's bothered me for a bit.

Every time I see a graphic or post on instagram, twitter, (whatever social media is popular now) it honestly looks like its been made on MS Paint. This bothers me because it just another example of how our athletics department still seems like its amateur hour. These are the small details that don't mean much individually but coupled with everything else makes our program seem like DIII program.

Look I get it, we cant invest into an entire graphic design department like SEC/ACC schools do, but $$$$ it cant be that expensive to hire a student from Art Institute in downtown Miami majoring in graphic design. I'm sure we have very hard working people probably doing this even though its not their strength (and it has gotten significantly better in the past few years), but why not let them do what they do well and hire someone to manage graphic design for the athletics department.

Again not a big deal, but every time i see a recruit post a NSD cheesy graphic of our it makes me cringe... I just want our school to produce quality stuff, regardless of what it is.

FIU Combine Tweet

UF Combine Tweet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:03 pm   
Cougar

Couldn't agree more...you really should email someone in the department (we all should) and provide them with this exact example. we need to speak up when we see things like this regardless how small in importance it might be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:40 pm   
Golden Panther

The gators combine graphic is bad ass.

I second the notion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:41 pm   
Golden Panther

AGREE 100%. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a few years.

The random, arbitrary way things are done on the athletic department are a sign the lack of profesional leadership we have.

Im sure our staff are trying their best with Coreldraw, Macpaint, Publisher and whatever drugstore software they have but we need some trained designers working there. If nothing else freelance it out!

I'm at least glad someone had the fracking sense to adjust the FIU logo and drop the panther down so it stopped looking like FW. Morons. After the other logo redesigns in the 90s and early 2000s where methodical, well-thought processes we got that last logo form one day to another. Basic design 101 mistake. Maybe Pete's nephew did it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:59 am   
Juvenile Panther

That's what I'm sayin OC! Freelance it out if we honestly can't do any better.

Idk if I'm simply making it seem easier than it really is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am   
Golden Panther

I agree... little details make us look better. Our current graphics department makes us look like a D3 school.