It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Practice Fields

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:45 pm   
Puma

So the practice field will be placed on the preservation adjacent to the soccer field?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 am   
Juvenile Panther

Yup. As listed in the newest campus master plan. Terrible location if you ask me, being so far from the stadium, specifically the locker room. Are the players supposed to walk all the way back to the stadium after practice?

I know they initially planned for it to be next to stadium, but axed that idea due to cost and the proximity to a major road. Idk, I think the extra money would've been worthwhile to have the fields close to the stadium. But what do I know 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:13 am   
Cougar

Was doing a little snooping around campus today.

The lake is almost filled

Sorry for the low quality pics, my phone died and had to shoot with my iPad. Plus it was getting dark

This is from the north side of the lake, south of the arena

Last edited by SP1029 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:33 am   
Cougar

PawsUp wrote:
Yup. As listed in the newest campus master plan. Terrible location if you ask me, being so far from the stadium, specifically the locker room. Are the players supposed to walk all the way back to the stadium after practice?

I know they initially planned for it to be next to stadium, but axed that idea due to cost and the proximity to a major road. Idk, I think the extra money would've been worthwhile to have the fields close to the stadium. But what do I know 8)

I agree with you regarding the closeness of the fields to the locker room. It would be nice but not necessary, we got to work with what we have. Plus we won't be the only ones not to have our practice fields next to our stadium.

Check out UF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 am   
Golden Panther

Again, thanks for the pictures, SP. I also don't like the location all that much, but I guess it's better than nothing. It's not like they are putting them in next to PG5 lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:06 am   
Puma

SP1029 wrote:
PawsUp wrote:

I agree with you regarding the closeness of the fields to the locker room. It would be nice but not necessary, we got to work with what we have. Plus we won't be the only ones not to have our practice fields next to our stadium.

Check out UF

Thanks SP for the photos.

Its actually coming along, as for the proximity? I am not too keen as well with the location, but it makes sense when its dealing with funding. The way they titled it was an intramural/practice field which is eligible for a different type of grant money to either add to the budget or apply for.

Honestly, now that I think about it in retrospect. I don't think the location is bad at all being next to the rec center and having students watch the team practice actually looks pretty pimp.

It would be nice having next to the stadium, but the plan I saw just looked very awkward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Again, thanks for the pictures, SP. I also don't like the location all that much, but I guess it's better than nothing. It's not like they are putting them in next to PG5 lol.

I agree with this notion. I'm not necessarily crazy with the location, as it is not next door to locker room and football facilities, but it isn't incredibly far away either, really. I'm sure it has to do with budget and $ resources, so as long as they do those fields as nice and as functional as possible to the team, I'm all for it. Next to Arena, soccer field, baseball field and also across from Recreation Center makes for a nice "Athletics district".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:09 am   
Golden Panther

lets just be happy that the infrastructure for the football team is getting done.
its not like the practice field is in North campus and the players have to take a bus?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:20 am   
Golden Panther

The practice fields are an awesome addition. My dream is for FIU to one day have an indoor practice field, so practices don't have to be affected by lightning, etc. I know we're a long way off from that though, especially considering the school just spent a lot of $$$ to get these two fields.

One step at a time and keep getting better every year. Winning helps everything. Go Panthers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 pm   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:
PawsUp wrote:

Check out UF

I'm not crazy about the location either, but I understand the reasoning. As some have said, at least the program is making improvements to facilities. As for UF, it looks like they have a building right next to their practice fields. I would imagine that it is either a field-house, an indoor practice facility, or both.

I wonder what the logistics will be like for our team when the new practice fields open.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:05 pm   
Cougar

pikedanny wrote:
SP1029 wrote:
PawsUp wrote:

Check out UF

I'm not crazy about the location either, but I understand the reasoning. As some have said, at least the program is making improvements to facilities. As for UF, it looks like they have a building right next to their practice fields. I would imagine that it is either a field-house, an indoor practice facility, or both.

I wonder what the logistics will be like for our team when the new practice fields open.

It's an indoor practice facility. Before that it was just a regular outdoor field. So they were kind of in the same situation as us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:02 pm   
Golden Panther

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:21 pm   
Golden Panther

Just have PG take a $$$$ and spread it on top of the field. SID

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:52 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Interesting post by Pete. Based on everything we've seen, the fields were supposed to run North to South.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:05 pm   
Puma