It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 am

2018 Recruiting Targets

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 am   
Golden Panther

Surprisingly, FIU is one of a few schools in the whole country to not have any public commitments as of the time of this post. From what I'm seeing, only two C-USA schools don't have any public commitments: FIU and UTEP. Now, I'm not overly concerned, but it would be nice to start seeing some commitments made to FIU. This is especially true with the early signing period available this year. That being said, I trust Butch and his staff. It's possible they are targeting bigger fish this year, who are harder to reel in. I have reason to believe this will be FIU's best recruiting class in the program's history.

Since it's offseason, I have compiled a list of guys who I think FIU is likely targeting for the 2018 class:

1 ) Nick Croawell: DE - Roswell, GA --> FIU is in his top 5
2 ) Jeremiah Salaam: S - Frostproof, FL --> 247 Sports lists as top target.
3 ) Keyon Helton: S - Pensacola, FL --> 247 Sports lists as top target.
4 ) Tayland Humphrey: DT - Hutchinson, KS --> One could infer FIU is in his top two. 4-star recruit. There is another thread on him.
5 ) John Bolding: OG - Spring, TX --> Brother of Tayland. They want to play college ball together. One could infer FIU is in his top two.
6 ) Travon King: DE/TE - Camden, NJ --> He lists FIU in his top 8.
7 ) Tyquan Thornton: WR - Miami, FL --> Explosive WR with some solid offers. Followed by multiple members of the coaching staff on Twitter.
8 ) Jordan Dillard: WR - Miami, FL --> Lengthy WR likely overshadowed at Southridge. Recently decommitted from Toledo not long after an FIU offer.
9 ) Donovan Georges: LB - Hialeah, FL --> Mentioned in an interview w/ Scout that FIU is pursuing him hard.
10) Ivan Thomas: WR/TE - Miami, FL --> Saw on Twitter he was on campus meeting with Butch a couple of weeks ago.
11) Caleb Lynum: QB - Leesburg, FL --> Saw on Twitter he also visited campus and met with the coaching staff.

I'm obviously missing a lot of other targets, but have reason to believe the guys listed above are definite targets for the 2018 class. I think it would be interesting to keep this thread going when additional information comes in, as we did last year. If y'all have anything to add, please share it here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 am   
Puma

I would like to see the surprises that would come out in December. Pretty exciting times, I would say. The fact we are now flirting with 4 stars makes me believe that there is a brighter future.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm   
Golden Panther

Good stuff, 'Building. Should be a fun recruiting cycle. Thanks for putting that first list together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 am   
Golden Panther

According to scout Eyabi Anoma has legit FIU interest too.

http://www.scout.com/college/florida-in ... u-football

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 am   
Golden Panther

411Panther wrote:
According to scout Eyabi Anoma has legit FIU interest too.

http://www.scout.com/college/florida-in ... u-football

Thanks for sharing. I don't have access to Scout premium content. Can anyone tell me what the video or article says? Is FIU pursuing him or does he like FIU? I don't even see anywhere that he even has an FIU offer (including Scout).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm   
Puma

Seems to be a 4 star

http://247sports.com/Player/Eyabi-Anoma-46037175

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 am   
Golden Panther

HugoGP1 wrote:

He's actually a 5-star player according to ESPN and the 2nd ranked DE:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/225824/eyabi-anoma

I'm not questioning his talent, but rather his interest in FIU. He is a highly coveted player.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 am   
Puma

Building A Dynasty wrote:
HugoGP1 wrote:

He's actually a 5-star player according to ESPN and the 2nd ranked DE:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/225824/eyabi-anoma

I'm not questioning his talent, but rather his interest in FIU. He is a highly coveted player.

Butch is a DE guru, so I would not be surprised if we get this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 am   
Puma

Scout is rarely correct about anything. That's all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 pm   
Golden Panther

Here's an article suggesting FIU fans should begin worrying soon if we don't have any commits by the start of the season. Take it as you may:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/recruiting/2017/7/1/15907910/four-group-of-5-teams-have-zero-commits-fiu-utep-nmsu-idaho-g5-recruiting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:45 pm   
Golden Panther

Here's an article suggesting FIU fans should begin worrying soon if we don't have any commits by the start of the season. Take it as you may:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/recruiting/2017/7/1/15907910/four-group-of-5-teams-have-zero-commits-fiu-utep-nmsu-idaho-g5-recruiting

Same article states we are pursuing bigger fish. Bigger fish have more options to consider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 pm   
Puma

chiaPanther wrote:

Same article states we are pursuing bigger fish. Bigger fish have more options to consider

I wouldn't read too much into the article. Kids commit and decommit all the time, so not having one right now is not an issue. Now, if we dont have one by signing day? That's a different story.

I think we'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Apparently we can add Kevin Doyle, QB - Washington D.C, to the list. 247 Sports has Doyle listed as a top target (still not sure how they determine this, anyone know?). Doyle is a consensus 3-star QB, although ESPN grades him with a rating of 80 (4-stars). Coach Vollono seems to be in charge of recruiting the DC area. Let's see who he can land.

Still no commitments so far....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Willie Canty, an OT from Belle Glade, FL, has listed FIU in his top 5:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm   
Golden Panther

Recent UCF commit, Demetreius Mayes Jr. took an unofficial visit to FIU yesterday:

Mayes is a consensus 3-star DE from Northwestern. We'll see if FIU can steal Mayes away from UCF.