It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 pm

2018 Recruiting Targets

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 am   
Golden Panther

Apparently Coach Davis and Coach Mo stopped by Jones High in Orlando. The only class of 2018 Jones High prospects that I know FIU may have offered at some point are Brandon Cross, DB, who was a former Tennessee commit, and Jaylen Joyner, who recently committed to FAU. Considering we already have multiple DL signees, I'm guessing the staff may be after Cross, as we could sign another DB or two.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 am   
Golden Panther

The Miami Herald shared a FL school recruiting update (of course we basically get the smallest section of any school):

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-recruiting/article195101004.html

Walter Villa claims we only have 4 scholarship spots left. I think that is based off capping this class at 25 signees. Now I may be wrong here, but it's possible early enrollees count toward the previous years class, so technically we might be able to sign more than four more guys. Of those four remaining spots I think we two spots that are highly likely to be filled: Troy Ingle --> OL, and a grad school QB transfer, such as James Morgan. Of the other spots, I would like to see another DB added. We only signed 1 CB in Walker. Maybe another DE too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 am   
Golden Panther

Thank you for sharing. Those are very good educated “guesses”. I also think our coaches are shifting a little bit their recruiting emphasis towards the class of 2019, as they’ve been offering quite a bit of them this last week. The fact we’ve signed so many “early” gives our coaches an earlier than expected timeframe on evaluating and offering kids from the following year, while still key ring on a smaller number of “targets” to complete this Recruiting Class of 2018.

Ingle still has as his twitter cover picture in FIU’s uniform. I think that speaks for itself at this moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Thank you for sharing. Those are very good educated “guesses”. I also think our coaches are shifting a little bit their recruiting emphasis towards the class of 2019, as they’ve been offering quite a bit of them this last week. The fact we’ve signed so many “early” gives our coaches an earlier than expected timeframe on evaluating and offering kids from the following year, while still key ring on a smaller number of “targets” to complete this Recruiting Class of 2018.

Ingle still has as his twitter cover picture in FIU’s uniform. I think that speaks for itself at this moment.

Definitely agree ‘Fanatic. For the purposes of this thread, I wanted to keep it to 2018. But yes, the staff is definitely hitting the future classes hard right now. I love it. This is what big time programs do. Lock up your guys early. Build the relationships that will keep them onboard. It’s such a breath of fresh air.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am   
Golden Panther

I wouldn't be surprised if Burns was moved to DE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
The Miami Herald shared a FL school recruiting update (of course we basically get the smallest section of any school):

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-recruiting/article195101004.html

Walter Villa claims we only have 4 scholarship spots left. I think that is based off capping this class at 25 signees. Now I may be wrong here, but it's possible early enrollees count toward the previous years class, so technically we might be able to sign more than four more guys. Of those four remaining spots I think we two spots that are highly likely to be filled: Troy Ingle --> OL, and a grad school QB transfer, such as James Morgan. Of the other spots, I would like to see another DB added. We only signed 1 CB in Walker. Maybe another DE too.

Saw that in The Herald...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 pm   
Golden Panther

btw i think its fair to assume we've moved on from Lawrence Papillon, we took 2 RB's in the early signing period and it's the deepest position on the current team, also he tweeted an in home visit from Marshall. Also Nathaniel Dell is probably out of our plans since we took 2-3 other receivers (depending on how you count Ivan Thomas).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 pm   
Golden Panther

Yep. It’s likely we’ve moved on from them and/or they’ve moved on from us. We will see soon how all of this develops.

Wonder who’s on campus as we speak, officially visiting FIU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:34 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
btw i think its fair to assume we've moved on from Lawrence Papillon, we took 2 RB's in the early signing period and it's the deepest position on the current team, also he tweeted an in home visit from Marshall. Also Nathaniel Dell is probably out of our plans since we took 2-3 other receivers (depending on how you count Ivan Thomas).

Both Mainland guys are gone, and looking at who has come in, that isn't surprising. I would also agree about Papillon, we brought in two RBs that are of at least equal caliber, and have several quality backs on the roster already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
reinierguerra wrote:

Both Mainland guys are gone, and looking at who has come in, that isn't surprising. I would also agree about Papillon, we brought in two RBs that are of at least equal caliber, and have several quality backs on the roster already.

I agree with both of you. If there was one position on the whole roster that I'm not worried about, it's RB! Bringing in 3 RBs would be strange.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm   
Golden Panther

Well as we can see on the tweet shared on the home page, very highly rated Jason Mercier WDE from Boynton Beach visited FIU this weekend. I am very impressed with the amount highly pursued recruits our staff has gotten on campus. This kid has has 30 offers according to 247Sports a lot of them from Power 5 schools.

Also as expected Lawerence Papillon decommited from FIU over the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm   
Golden Panther

Was just about to share the Mercier tweet. I totally agree about the quality of guys the staff is getting on campus. Very impressive. Plus, it’s always nice to have these guys visiting close to signing day and in the same weekend as other big time FIU commits (Tayland Humphrey and John Bolding for example). These guys can do a lot of recruiting for us. This staff absolutely knows what it’s doing and it’s so refreshing to see!! I love it!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Mercier is a stud DE with great size at 6'5/235, who was a pre-season Palm Beach Post "Super 11 Football 2017" player, meaning one of the top 11 players in the county. As reinier and Building stated, offers at one time or another from several P5's (Louisville, NC State, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Iowa State, Kansas State, Indiana, Purdue, Syracuse, etc.) plus local FAU, USF, and UCF and a bunch of other FBS teams. Solid player, consensus 3-Stars by 247Sports Composite, Rivals, and ESPN (grade 76).

I would also look as a possibility 6'3/280 DL/OL Jejuan Campbell from Pahokee HS in Palm Beach County. Reportedly, only an offer from FAMU, but interest from FIU, UCF, USF, and UMass among others, and Willie Canty, another top OL from Palm Beach County (Belle Glades HS)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:33 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Mercier is a stud DE with great size at 6'5/235, who was a pre-season Palm Beach Post "Super 11 Football 2017" player, meaning one of the top 11 players in the county. As reinier and Building stated, offers at one time or another from several P5's (Louisville, NC State, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Iowa State, Kansas State, Indiana, Purdue, Syracuse, etc.) plus local FAU, USF, and UCF and a bunch of other FBS teams. Solid player, consensus 3-Stars by 247Sports Composite, Rivals, and ESPN (grade 76).

I would also look as a possibility 6'3/280 DL/OL Jejuan Campbell from Pahokee HS in Palm Beach County. Reportedly, only an offer from FAMU, but interest from FIU, UCF, USF, and UMass among others, and Willie Canty, another top OL from Palm Beach County (Belle Glades HS)

Canty in particular has recently been visited by the Louisville staff, but they don’t have too many scholarships left, so we’ll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 am   
Golden Panther

Mercier is from same high school as TO and Shaundarrius Phillips so maybe that will help in his recruiting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next