It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:08 pm

2018 Recruiting Targets

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Ian Bunting, a 6'7" TE from Michigan will be leaving the program after graduating. He has a year of eligibility left. Maybe the staff will pursue him like they did with McKever as guys like Ivan Thomas and David O'Meara develop?

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Bolt/Ian-Bunting-announces-intentions-to-transfer-from-Michigan-114423020

It would be nice to see, but no indication he's even on their radar at the moment. Michigan to FIU is also quite the leap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Ian Bunting, a 6'7" TE from Michigan will be leaving the program after graduating. He has a year of eligibility left. Maybe the staff will pursue him like they did with McKever as guys like Ivan Thomas and David O'Meara develop?

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Bolt/Ian-Bunting-announces-intentions-to-transfer-from-Michigan-114423020

It would be nice to see, but no indication he's even on their radar at the moment. Michigan to FIU is also quite the leap.

I'm not saying he's on their radar, just throwing out the possibility of guys like this can come in and fill some gaps. McKever left NC State to go to FIU. Bunting wasn't getting much playing time. He wants to go somewhere he can play. FIU has the TE position wide open right now. Maybe Butch thinks some of the younger guys are now ready to play TE. Who knows. Just don't be surprised if you see a couple guys like this show up on the roster next year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:04 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:

I'm not saying he's on their radar, just throwing out the possibility of guys like this can come in and fill some gaps. McKever left NC State to go to FIU. Bunting wasn't getting much playing time. He wants to go somewhere he can play. FIU has the TE position wide open right now. Maybe Butch thinks some of the younger guys are now ready to play TE. Who knows. Just don't be surprised if you see a couple guys like this show up on the roster next year.

He would be a great pick up. We definitely have the space available.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm   
Golden Panther

It would be nice to pull one big receiver in the class. As pointed out, it is one position where we aren't really long.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:24 pm   
Puma

I know we targetted this kid earlier but hasn’t been linked to FIU in a while. However the reply by Shaundarrius Phillips makes you wonder if he visited recently and is considering us?? I think he goes to FAU but we’ll find out soon enough.

Btw FAU is putting together a really good class too :( .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:10 pm   
Golden Panther

One 247 writer has him going to FAU, and 247Sports seems to think it's between Kent State and FAU. The 247 writer who logged his prediction is current UMiami writer for 247Sports and a graduate of FAU. Illinois seems on the final list as well. The fact Shawn Phillips tweeted that is encouraging. Maybe he visited and it didn't transpire publicly. Phillips hails from...and current FIU commit Jason Mercier is currently teammate at....Atlantic HS in Delray Beach, so there's definitely a connection there.

Gaskin is a high 3-Stars Composite rated WR/Athlete with a .8601 rating - good for 3rd best at FIU if he commits to us - and consensus 3-Stars (ESPN grade of 78) 3-Stars. The 6-3/215 one time commitment to Kentucky also has had offers from Kentucky, Illinois, Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, NC State, Rutgers, UCF, USF, FAU, and Kent State among others. A Palm Beach Post and Sun Sentinel 2nd Team All County as a WR and PBP Honorable Mention All County as a DL, also was named PBP as the #11 overall County rated player, where current FIU commit Jason Mercier is #9. He has a teammate in Corey Gammage, a WR and former Florida commitment, who hasn't committed either, as #3 overall player in the county and who was named the County Player of the Year. So even within his team he wasn't necessarily the #1 target, yet produced a lot for the State runner up team. http://highschoolbuzz.blog.palmbeachpos ... big-board/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm   
Puma

Thanks for all the info Fanatic. He'd for sure be a big get and a guy that will likely get a lot of playing time early on.
I feel like if he was coming coach Bryn Renner would've given us a heads up already haha.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm   
Golden Panther

You never know, reinier....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm   
Puma

Maybe i'm being too optimistic but here are my expectations for tomorrow, btw is there going to be any type of coverage from FIU?

Public commitments:

Jason Mercier - signs with us
Christian Malloy - signs with Georgia Tech

Targets:
Troy Ingle - signs with us
Cadarius Gaskin - 60/40 FAU/FIU
Kenny Turnier- doesn't sign (i feel like he has some qualifying issues)
Jaquan Beaver - Oregon State
Rachad Wildgoose JR- UCF

I do expect at least one surprise signing, someone we've never heard of like Teair or Demery. Not necessarily 4 Star players but just someone who is not in our radar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
Maybe i'm being too optimistic but here are my expectations for tomorrow, btw is there going to be any type of coverage from FIU?

Public commitments:

Jason Mercier - signs with us
Christian Malloy - signs with Georgia Tech

Targets:
Troy Ingle - signs with us
Cadarius Gaskin - 60/40 FAU/FIU
Kenny Turnier- doesn't sign (i feel like he has some qualifying issues)
Jaquan Beaver - Oregon State
Rachad Wildgoose JR- UCF

I do expect at least one surprise signing, someone we've never heard of like Teair or Demery. Not necessarily 4 Star players but just someone who is not in our radar.

I agree with this. I think Malloy is gone and it's hard to blame him. GT has great academics and has a dream offense for a RB. Thankfully we have already signed two other great RBs.

I think Gaskin is also considering Kent St. I will say it's weird that he said he was going to commit and then never announced it. If I had to guess FIU got wind that Malloy is gone and then with the new open scholly made a hard late push for Gaskin. It potentially caused him to not announce to FAU/Kent St. We'll see.

I could see Wildgoose signing with Wisconsin.

I would love a surprise, but we're running out of scholarships. Mercier, Ingle, and Morgan would bring us to 24. Nonetheless, I hope FIU has a signing day show. I sadly won't be around much during the morning to post updates, so if anyone else wants to, feel free!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 am   
Cougar

FYI - Coach Bryn Renner and Coach Drew Davis just followed (twitter) Senior USF TE Kano Dillon, who announced that he will be transferring from USF this year. Reports show that he would be able to play immediately as a graduate transfer in 2018. Kid is 6 foot 5 and 262 pounds.

Food for thought...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/201 ... nsferring/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
I have several thoughts concerning our last two recruiting classes, but I will save that for a upcoming, separate post. Just one comment concerning the USF TE. I don't know exactly how many scholarships Coach Davis kept in his back pocket, but I do know these are the type of players he is looking for. Yet another example of why Coach Davis is so successful and why our program has such a bright and exciting future. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:49 pm   
Site Admin

Overshadowed by UCF and FAU's success, Butch Davis quietly building a winner at FIU
Quote:
"We refused to go after players that we didn't think we could win 13 games with," Davis told CBSSports.com. "You've got no chance at all at marrying Miss America if you don't ask them out on a date. If we get yeses on one out of ten elite players, we'll be pretty dang good."

The approach worked right away. Even in a short six-week cycle for Davis during the 2017 class, FIU brought in one of the best in classes in program history. Seventeen of those guys played right away in FIU's historic 8-win season last fall. Recruiting on just that promise, the FIU staff was able to find traction. Once the wins started coming, the recruiting success only accelerated.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/overshadowed-by-ucf-and-faus-success-butch-davis-quietly-building-a-winner-at-fiu/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 am   
Golden Panther

That is an awesome story on BD and recruiting. How soon is August, anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
That is an awesome story on BD and recruiting. How soon is August, anyway?

Not soon enough. Wish we had a short Spring football season. Would be cool. I know, not really feasible with student athletes, but how fun would that be?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next