It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm

2017 Season Predictions

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am   
Golden Panther

Check this thread out now that the season is done... If you would have told any of us FIU would go 8-4, we would be thrilled.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:42 am   
Golden Panther

Some pretty solid predictions came through, even with strange bounces here and there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 am   
Golden Panther

Well, look at Dr. Phil, would you? 8-4 and with very nearly the same bunch of guys as last year. add a little depth and some coaches who actually adjust to opponents prior to and during games and wow! you wuz right, Dr. Phil. which leads me to ask the question: how on earth does a guy like Turner get a head coaching job? neither he nor his coaches, so far as I can tell, did any coaching in nearly four years. I never once heard him talk about adjustments or a game plan tailored to an opponent, and that is something that Butch emphasizes every week. is it laziness? lack of coaching smarts? one would think that any fun to be had in coaching would be trying to scheme on other teams. don't get me wrong, Turner is gone and it is water under the bridge, but I doubt he is the only coach who behaves this way. now you could say that Georgia Tech and Navy, for instance, have a philosophy that does not vary, but at least they go out and recruit players who are well suited to that approach. with Turner it seemed to be, well, this is the way I like to play and you guys need to adjust yourselves to it. he went to the same vet as I do and the vet, who is a great guy, thought Turner was the nicest guy in the world, so I am not trying to stomp on him. I am honestly curious. is there a great divide in college coaches between those who do it their way and the ones who are schemers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm   
Site Admin

Now we know why BAD is leading the pick'em, he got all of these except for the WKU game. Go F I U!

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Believe it or not, we are only 18 days away from kickoff! I have been reading various outside predictions for C-USA and FIU, but wanted to know what my fellow Panther fans were expecting for this season. I'll give my game by game predictions for this season, and feel free to do the same, or just an end of year W/L total.

Week 1: FIU: 27 - UCF 38 (L)

I really want the guys the win this game badly, but UCF is becoming a very solid team again and will be tough to beat in the first game with the new coaching staff.

Week 2: Alcorn St: 13 - FIU: 45 (W)

I think the guys come out fired up and the offense explodes.

Week 3: FIU 26 - Indiana 31 (L)

I could see this going either way. FIU should have won last year. I think Indiana wears the guys down in the 4th with the rushing attack.

Week 4: FIU 27 - Rice 14 (W)

Rice isn't very good. FIU should win this one to start 1-0 in C-USA play.

Week 5: Charlotte 28 - FIU 35 (W)

Charlotte is improving. FIU wins a close one to improve to 2-0 in C-USA.

Week 6: FIU 30 - MT 42 (L)

MT is my pick to win C-USA east this year. Their offense will be explosive. This will be tough for FIU to win on the road.

Week 7: Tulane 24 - FIU 28 (W)

I've been hearing good things about Tulane this year. I think this game will be tougher than people think. FIU wins this to finish 2-2 in OOC play.

Week 8: FIU 22 - Marshall 20 (W)

FIU wins a very physical game on the road.

Week 9: UTSA 20 - FIU 28 (W)

UTSA may be the up and coming team out of C-USA west this year. They have been recruiting very well. I like FIU to win at home though.

Week 10: ODU 35 - FIU 17 (L)

ODU fans have been getting very cocky lately and I'm not sure FIU will be able to stop their rushing attack. I would love to see FIU pull this one off, but I don't think it's a good match up.

Week 11: FIU 33 - FAU 30 (W)

I think this game will be superrrr close and am very excited for it. Let's say FIU wins it in OT.

Week 12: WKU 41 - FIU 24 (L)

WKU is still very good. I don't see their offense slowing down much this year.

End of year: 7-5 (5-3 in C-USA) and FIU makes a bowl game. Realistically, I could see anywhere between 5-7 and 8-4.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:12 pm   
Golden Panther

Haha, I think my pre-season predictions were better than my game week predictions! If you switch my predictions for the FAU and WKU outcomes I would have nailed it. Of course, we never actually played Indiana, so who knows what would have happened there. I am a lucky dude. And one who watches way too much football.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Haha, I think my pre-season predictions were better than my game week predictions! If you switch my predictions for the FAU and WKU outcomes I would have nailed it. Of course, we never actually played Indiana, so who knows what would have happened there. I am a lucky dude. And one who watches way too much football.

Got any lottery numbers for me?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
Now that the regular season is behind us, I want to thank Diadog for acknowledging the accuracy of my prediction on what our final season record would be, 8-4 (posted on Aug.17th - previous page). I made the prognostication based on several factors, the most important being the 35 years of coaching both football and baseball at, primarily, the high school level. A great coach can, indeed, dramatically improve a program almost instantly, particularly if he inherited talent - just as Coach Davis did. On a similar note, M. Melendez will do the same with our baseball program - we will be at LEAST 10-12 games over .500 this year. (Sorry, I digress). To answer many of the points/questions that Diadog had in his post about R. Turner and other coaches, I will say this - that at least 80% of coaches that I have coached against (or with) have NO CLUE as to what they are doing. Most of them know the X's and O's of their respective sports but lack all of the other skills that make the great coaches successful. This is true at every level of the game - including the pros.
I know some of you thought I was overly optimistic with my predictions for the year. I'm not that great at picking scores of individual games (as evidenced of my 8th place spot in the standings!) but I do understand what excellent coaching is and how it impacts a team. It's far too early for me to look ahead to next season, but Coach Davis will, after this recruiting class, have us primed to be even better next year. COUNT on it.
Diadog, I'm sorry I can't answer all of your questions so I did my best to summarize my thoughts. As it is, I prattled on too long. Interested, as always, to hear what y'all have to say. Happy bowling to the players and fans. Let's bring home an early Christmas present from St. Pete. FIUPhil