It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:00 am

GAMEWEEK: FIU @ Central Florida Knights

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 am   
Golden Panther

Speaking of depth charts, why hasn't the team released one yet? Or am I missing it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm   
Puma

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Diagodog wrote:
Love all the press from Orlando. Maybe one day the Herald will be doing a smidgen of the same. I suspect there will be a story on FIU-UCF Wednesday or Thursday in there, but today, for instance, we have to put up with one story about how no one knows who will play QB for Florida on Saturday and another listing the depth chart for UM's upcoming nail-biter against Bethune-Crockpot. Ah, such is life. Win some games, Coach!

FIu gets coverage once in a while... nothing like the university of coral gables though

The reason why Miami gets so much coverage is because they are a marketing machine. They do not directly market their fans, but use other companies to do the work for them (Companies that don't work for them, but give them some corporate sponsorship). They really do take advantage of their resources which was something FIU lacked of before Butch took over.

FIU has so much potential and a lot of TV stations notice that. The issue with FIU is or was that the wrong people were at the wheel of the panther bus and were steering us the wrong way. I mean, some folks really thought that Turner was the end of FIU football, till Pete went DEFCON 1 and got us Butch.

The UCF - FIU rivalry could've been something bigger if the right people were placed and not wasted our time and money like during the Turner era. If you noticed during the Cristobal era, we were on game day and they literally stated "To watch out for this game" referring to the UCF- FIU game.

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm   
Cougar

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Speaking of depth charts, why hasn't the team released one yet? Or am I missing it?

It's ridiculous that FIU has not released the game notes yet, they usually send them out a week before each game, idk if this is Butch hiding as much info on our team as he possibly can or FIU dropping the ball one more time. Also Pete Pelegrin has been awful quiet lately, one story about the kickers on the first week of college football and the beginning of the Butch Davis era is just not gonna cut it. :evil: :cry: :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:50 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
Building A Dynasty wrote:

It's ridiculous that FIU has not released the game notes yet, they usually send them out a week before each game, idk if this is Butch hiding as much info on our team as he possibly can or FIU dropping the ball one more time. Also Pete Pelegrin has been awful quiet lately, one story about the kickers on the first week of college football and the beginning of the Butch Davis era is just not gonna cut it. :evil: :cry: :(

I totally agree.... Where is the content to generate some buzz? Can barely tell it's gameweek.... Not pleased, at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm   
Site Admin

Quote:
With the 16th FIU football season a couple of days away, "5 Questions With" returns for the first Panthers game of 2017. The Central Florida Knights are the opponent and Matt Murschel, the UCF beat writer of the Orlando Sentinel, is here to answer 5 Questions on the Knights. You can follow Matt on Twitter: @osmattmurschel.

http://fiusports.com/news/2017/8/29/football-5-questions-on-ucf-vs-fiu.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:58 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:02 pm   
Site Admin

Quote:
Davis admits it was tough going on assignment for ESPN and talking to coaches during spring drills or fall Saturdays.

“It was like being on a diet and being surrounded by cheese cake,” Davis said. “You wanted it, but you couldn’t have it.”

Davis has it again now, finally, thanks to his old friend Garcia. Davis is again working those long hours — from August to January, it’s basically 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week.

But this is what the job requires, and Davis — according to quarterback Alex McGough — is all about preparing his players for success.

“He’s a player’s coach,” McGough said. “He does it for the kids, for us. We are all bought in, I guarantee you. We love him.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article169988522.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 pm   
Site Admin

Can Butch Davis get FIU back on track? Breaking down the Panthers’ games this season

Quote:
Thursday, at Central Florida, 6 p.m.

The Knights weren’t very good last season (6-7), but they had enough to rout FIU 53-14. UCF should be better this year, returning its quarterback, its leading rusher and eight of its top nine receivers. Prediction: UCF 41, FIU 20.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article169976422.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm   
Golden Panther

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm   
Puma

I hope Butch has some surprises up his sleeve with that depth chart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 pm   
Golden Panther

Did you guys get a chance to look at UCFs 6-7 record.
They beat the following teams.
3-9 ECU (1 AAC win)
3-9 Uconn (1 AAC win)
4-9 Tulane (1 AAC win)
4-9 Cincinnati (1 AAC win)
0-3 Turner
And a DII school.

Smoke and mirrors...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Did you guys get a chance to look at UCFs 6-7 record.
They beat the following teams.
3-9 ECU (1 AAC win)
3-9 Uconn (1 AAC win)
4-9 Tulane (1 AAC win)
4-9 Cincinnati (1 AAC win)
0-3 Turner
And a DII school.

Smoke and mirrors...

This is a great point. Thanks for sharing. I would feel a little better if they didn't open up a can against us last year. I know it was Turner's team, but it was quite an ugly performance. What concerns me the most is our defensive line. I don't know if we can win in the trenches. I fear they will run all over us and wear us down due to limited depth at that position.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:51 am   
Golden Panther

In regard to the depth chart, I found some surprises:

1) Maloney pushing Williams for the other outside WR spot (listed as "or").
2) Phillips pushing Maxwell for the backup RB spot (listed as "or").
3) B James and Gates as backup outside LBs.
4) Dames and Cushin as backup S. Thought Dorian Hall would be here. Also neither Hill or Spence here.

Good news from that depth chart is at least the 2-deep D-line is bulking up (for the most part). Some example weights compared to previous roster:

Jordan Guest: 221 --> 240
Anthony Johnson: 266 --> 291
James (or Jermaine?) Sherriff: 250 --> 275
Milord Juste: 268 --> 285
Newton Salisbury: 246 --> 265
John Broome: 241 --> 245
Fermin Sliva: 234 --> 235 (surprising not more)

I still think those guys will be undersized against most O-lines, but it's a step in the right direction. Need more beef! Curtis, Oliver, and Colson should help. Big dudes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am   
Puma

Yeah, Chia, but the final score of our game last year was Smoke 53--Mirrors 14. I am hoping for a competitive game--I just think they are likely to be deeper. But hey, it is college football and strange things happen.