It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:49 am

GAMEWEEK: FIU @ Central Florida Knights

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:59 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,

Chia is absolutely right. There are two main ways you can (I always did) measure future opponents.
1. How you do against common opponents?
2. What is their record built on - who did they beat. Records CAN be misleading and UCF's is. They be a bunch of nobodies.

Very few people give us a chance - they will be surprised and I believe it will be an upset. UCF isn't a great "home" team and they are underestimating us. Let's rumble!! FIUPhil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:06 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm   
Golden Panther

Your uniform combo for tomorrow:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:00 pm   
Puma

Looks good! Will look even better on top of a No Longer Golden Knight QB with his face planted in the sod.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:27 pm   
Site Admin

uniform causing controversy. LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Yeah, Chia, but the final score of our game last year was Smoke 53--Mirrors 14. I am hoping for a competitive game--I just think they are likely to be deeper. But hey, it is college football and strange things happen.

I hear you. I'm not totally dismissing the score. But I am looking at it from this point of view...
In 2015 UCF was returning a QB that led them to 9-4. We were 16 point dogs. FIU under Turner had gone a disappointing 4-8. It was the first game and both teams were 0-0. We beat them be ut by a lucky block, but we put our selves in position.
Last year the team had quit on Ron Turner. We were 0-3 and we started Maurice.

He sucked. Threw two picks and they crushed him and that vanilla Ron Turner Offense. That game McG was benched (we were told he was "hurt"). McG led us to the two TDs. FIU was a different team followung the Ron Turner firing. That Cooper FIU team with McG should have beaten MTSU. MTSU was better than UCF.

UCF got worked by Our OLD sunBelt friends in the Bowl Game. UCF claims they were disappointed with the loss.

Thats not the right word. They were owned by a better Team from the SunBelt. Not an FIU team with TY a true Sunbelt 7-5 co-champ.

We have never had this quality of HC. If a Coach can truely make a difference we will find out tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am   
Puma

Believe me, Chia, I hope you are right. My hunch is that they simply have a few more ok players to rotate into both lines and by quarter 4 that will start to show. On the other hand, if Budwig's return in fact shores up the left side of the OL and we were to get a lead and make them play catch-up and play their #1's more than they would like, then it evens out. If we can keep their stud LB out of the backfield early on, McGough might light it up. You have to figure Frost wants to dial up that pressure right away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

We can look at their last game against us but lets also look at their very last game of the year. After 12 games to fix and fine tune a team that started out putting up 50+ on us, they ended the season with 14 total rushing yards and got sacked 6 times plus a lot of QB hurries against stAte. So their O line is not as good as we thought it was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 pm   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Did you guys get a chance to look at UCFs 6-7 record.
They beat the following teams.
3-9 ECU (1 AAC win)
3-9 Uconn (1 AAC win)
4-9 Tulane (1 AAC win)
4-9 Cincinnati (1 AAC win)
0-3 Turner
And a DII school.

Smoke and mirrors...

Their smoke and mirrors confused the he!! out of our D.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am   
Juvenile Panther

Been a secondary FIU fan for awhile now, and make every UCF away game at FIU, so I hope I'm welcome, especially given some insight and info I can provide ...

Diagodog wrote:
Love all the press from Orlando. Maybe one day the Herald will be doing a smidgen of the same.
The greater Orlando area is the largest metropolitan area in the country ... without a NFL team. FIU has to compete with FAU, UM and the Dolphins, and both FIU and FAU are young. That is the major factor, and really stints FIU in such a 'crowded' market.

Since 2009, ESPN, the New York Times (who has been vocal about this since '97) and USA Today have lauded UCF's top TV marketshare for a G5. Understand UCF is ...
- The #1 G5 for TV viewership and as high as the Big 12 team median TV viewership -- which also makes the counter argument it might actually be the P4, without the Big 12, not so much the P6, with the AAC
- The cheapest team in all of FBS (power and not) in cost/ratings in all of ESPN (only $2.1/year, almost 10x C-USA and Sun Belt, but still 1/10th the P5)
- One (1) of only three (3) teams that the majority of people profess is their #1 team (not just #2 to some other team) in their home market

The other two (2) are Boise and ECU, and Boise and Greenville, respectively, are much, much smaller media markets than Orlando, let alone the combined Orlando-Tampa market (#4 in the country) is part of the reason why UCF gets a lot of coverage in Tampa too (more than USF at times, despite USF being better, and ranked, right now). it's taken a long, long time for this to happen, especially since UCF is so young, and keep in mind that FIU is even younger. The New Years Bowl win only helped, regressed a bit in 2015, but the ratings were already solid by 2009.

But there is still the fact the Orlando media filled is with non-UCF grads, merely because the median UCF grad is barely 40, while Florida, FSU and Miami are nearly 60. I suspect FIU grads are a median near 30. Even today, Orlando Buddy Dyer refuses to support UCF in general. Even after it reared its ugly, ugly head both before and after the Fiesta Bowl, when not just the Orlando TV coverage was sparse, but the attitude was insulting ... especially with Florida losing to a FCS team and being crap that same year, there is still an anti-UCF bias, despite UCF being #1. UCF is so popular among people in Orlando, barely #2 to the Orlando City, that the Orlando Magic (a distant #3) have actively been marketing via UCF. But you wouldn't see this if you look at Orlando TV or the Orlando Sentinel

So it's not a surprise the lowest TV ratings and Orlando Sentinel subscriber base are zip codes 32765 and 32766 ... the same zip codes for the highest number of UCF boosters and season ticket holders.

Miami was able to rise by the early '80s when it was the only college team in town. UCF used to recruit very well as the only FBS team in the mid-to-late '90s, for kids that didn't want to go out-of-state, but didn't get Big 3 offers. USF doesn't have the fanbase of UCF. This is what both Pitt and West Virginia AD's publicly cited back in 2011 as well (I won't get into this, which is a long story about how Big East football died, football rules money).

So I feel for FIU, but with a crowded market, I fear it's not going to get better ... unless FIU has a breakout year, but it won't remain after. E.g., USF can get more fans at games than UCF fans, but only when USF is ranked in the top 10 (they are in the top 20 now, and still can't get enough fans). I.e., Tampa NFL fans will start showing up at USF games. But the second they lose, they are gone. UCF has to go winless for half a season before less than 30K people stop showing up. There's no other game in town for UCF.

I wish it was different. I wish it was fair. But there's a reason UCF was able to build both a stadium and arena with 0 public funds, on the backs of donors and fans. Heck, UCF fans can even thank the city of Orlando for that, along with an UF grad running the Florida State University System, and their insistence in that. "Pay $45M to renovate the Citrius Bowl, and find somewhere else to pay for 2 years? For $50M, we can build our own, play next year and keep all the money." I feel FIU's pain, but I'm afraid FIU won't be able to do what UCF was able to do. Take it's Athletics Association private, fund it 60% of non-athletic fees (which is quite a feat for a G5), and out of the control of the politics.

Until then, FAU and FIU are screwed, wrongly, in a very crowded market.

chiaPanther wrote:
3-9 ECU (1 AAC win)
3-9 Uconn (1 AAC win)
4-9 Tulane (1 AAC win)
0-3 Turner
And a DII school.
Smoke and mirrors...
This is very on-point and true ... for 2016. That and Frost started with an 0-12 team from 2015, designed around the GOL 'beefy, ball control, pro set' system. Unfortunately for GOL in 2015, and even Frost last year, it was the worst O-line in the AAC. O-line is everything.

But Frost has now had two (2) top recruiting classes in the G5, and better than several P5s ... including the top G5 recruit this past signing day. Still young, but talented. Even if most Knight fans are thinking 2017 will be big year, most other Knights know the O-line is a question ... at least in the AAC, let alone against P5 competition. I think it won't be until 2018. I see UCF being 6-6 this year, with most wins against bad AAC teams, and maybe 1 (out of 2) wins against not-so-good ACC teams.

But keep one thing in mind ...

The AAC was 11-1 against the rest of the G5 during the regular season in 2016 (although near 0.500 AAC teams playing other G5 champions in the Bowls changed things), the sole loss to a G5 being lowly Tulane (who really never belonged in the Big East/AAC -- actually UCF's fault, a 'thanx' for helping with the 2005 C-USA invite). Just look at the Sagarin Conference rankings ... SEC West 85, all other P5 70-80, AAC 67-69 (sometimes the SEC East drops to under 70), and the rest of the G5 below 60 (other than MWC Mountain c/o Boise).

So FIU fans shouldn't (typo fixed) beat themselves up about losing to UCF, especially since the FIU team in 2017 is not Butch Davis' team. Give Davis 2-3 years, at least. UCF wasn't a good team in 2016, because it wasn't Scott Frost's team, and even 2017 isn't totally Frost's team either. But GOL had some great recruiting classes in 2 of his final 3 years, and Frost benefited from that.

Last edited by UCFBS on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 pm   
Puma

UCFBS wrote:
Been a secondary FIU fan for awhile now, and make every UCF away game at FIU, so I hope I'm welcome, especially given some insight and info I can provide ...

Diagodog wrote:
Love all the press from Orlando. Maybe one day the Herald will be doing a smidgen of the same.
The greater Orlando area is the largest metropolitan area in the country ... without a NFL team. FIU has to compete with FAU, UM and the Dolphins, and both FIU and FAU are young. That is the major factor, and really stints FIU in such a 'crowded' market.

Since 2009, ESPN, the New York Times (who has been vocal about this since '97) and USA Today have lauded UCF's top TV marketshare for a G5. Understand UCF is ...
- The #1 G5 for TV viewership and as high as the Big 12 team median TV viewership -- which also makes the counter argument it might actually be the P4, without the Big 12, not so much the P6, with the AAC
- The cheapest team in all of FBS (power and not) in cost/ratings in all of ESPN (only $2.1/year, almost 10x C-USA and Sun Belt, but still 1/10th the P5)
- One (1) of only three (3) teams that the majority of people profess is their #1 team (not just #2 to some other team) in their home market

The other two (2) are Boise and ECU, and Boise and Greenville, respectively, are much, much smaller media markets than Orlando, let alone the combined Orlando-Tampa market (#4 in the country) is part of the reason why UCF gets a lot of coverage in Tampa too (more than USF at times, despite USF being better, and ranked, right now). it's taken a long, long time for this to happen, especially since UCF is so young, and keep in mind that FIU is even younger. The New Years Bowl win only helped, regressed a bit in 2015, but the ratings were already solid by 2009.

But there is still the fact the Orlando media filled is with non-UCF grads, merely because the median UCF grad is barely 40, while Florida, FSU and Miami are nearly 60. I suspect FIU grads are a median near 30. Even today, Orlando Buddy Dyer refuses to support UCF in general. Even after it reared its ugly, ugly head both before and after the Fiesta Bowl, when not just the Orlando TV coverage was sparse, but the attitude was insulting ... especially with Florida losing to a FCS team and being crap that same year, there is still an anti-UCF bias, despite UCF being #1. UCF is so popular among people in Orlando, barely #2 to the Orlando City, that the Orlando Magic (a distant #3) have actively been marketing via UCF. But you wouldn't see this if you look at Orlando TV or the Orlando Sentinel

So it's not a surprise the lowest TV ratings and Orlando Sentinel subscriber base are zip codes 32765 and 32766 ... the same zip codes for the highest number of UCF boosters and season ticket holders.

Miami was able to rise by the early '80s when it was the only college team in town. UCF used to recruit very well as the only FBS team in the mid-to-late '90s, for kids that didn't want to go out-of-state, but didn't get Big 3 offers. USF doesn't have the fanbase of UCF. This is what both Pitt and West Virginia AD's publicly cited back in 2011 as well (I won't get into this, which is a long story about how Big East football died, football rules money).

So I feel for FIU, but with a crowded market, I fear it's not going to get better ... unless FIU has a breakout year, but it won't remain after. E.g., USF can get more fans at games than UCF fans, but only when USF is ranked in the top 10 (they are in the top 20 now, and still can't get enough fans). I.e., Tampa NFL fans will start showing up at USF games. But the second they lose, they are gone. UCF has to go winless for half a season before less than 30K people stop showing up. There's no other game in town for UCF.

I wish it was different. I wish it was fair. But there's a reason UCF was able to build both a stadium and arena with 0 public funds, on the backs of donors and fans. Heck, UCF fans can even thank the city of Orlando for that, along with an UF grad running the Florida State University System, and their insistence in that. "Pay $45M to renovate the Citrius Bowl, and find somewhere else to pay for 2 years? For $50M, we can build our own, play next year and keep all the money." I feel FIU's pain, but I'm afraid FIU won't be able to do what UCF was able to do. Take it's Athletics Association private, fund it 60% of non-athletic fees (which is quite a feat for a G5), and out of the control of the politics.

chiaPanther wrote:
3-9 ECU (1 AAC win)
3-9 Uconn (1 AAC win)
4-9 Tulane (1 AAC win)
0-3 Turner
And a DII school.
Smoke and mirrors...
This is very on-point and true ... for 2016. That and Frost started with an 0-12 team from 2015, designed around the GOL 'beefy, ball control, pro set' system. Unfortunately for GOL in 2015, and even Frost last year, it was the worst O-line in the AAC. O-line is everything.

But Frost has now had two (2) top recruiting classes in the G5, and better than several P5s ... including the top G5 recruit this past signing day. Still young, but talented. Even if most Knight fans are thinking 2017 will be big year, most other Knights know the O-line is a question ... at least in the AAC, let alone against P5 competition. I think it won't be until 2018. I see UCF being 6-6 this year, with most wins against bad AAC teams, and maybe 1 (out of 2) wins against not-so-good ACC teams.

The AAC was 11-1 against the rest of the G5 during the regular season in 2016 (although near 0.500 AAC teams playing other G5 champions in the Bowls changed things), the sole loss to a G5 being lowly Tulane (who really never belonged in the Big East/AAC -- actually UCF's fault, a 'thanx' for helping with the 2005 C-USA invite). Just look at the Sagarin Conference rankings ... SEC West 85, all other P5 70-80, AAC 67-69 (sometimes the SEC East drops to under 70), and the rest of the G5 below 60 (other than MWC Mountain c/o Boise).

So FIU fans should beat themselves up about losing to UCF, especially since the FIU team in 2017 is not Butch Davis' team. Give Davis 2-3 years, at least. UCF wasn't a good team in 2016, because it wasn't Scott Frost's team, and even 2017 isn't totally Frost's team either. But GOL had some great recruiting classes in 2 of his final 3 years, and Frost benefited from that.

Thank you UCFBS and welcome, I agree 100% about the competition, market, and Butch Davis. I have always enjoyed our rivalry and hope we could be more competitive next time we meet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:12 pm   
Golden Panther

Thanks for the post, UCFBS. Interesting read. Welcome to the board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 pm   
Juvenile Panther

UCFBS wrote:

Diagodog wrote:

chiaPanther wrote:
3-9 ECU (1 AAC win)
3-9 Uconn (1 AAC win)
4-9 Tulane (1 AAC win)
0-3 Turner
And a DII school.
Smoke and mirrors...

So FIU fans should beat themselves up about losing to UCF, especially since the FIU team in 2017 is not Butch Davis' team. Give Davis 2-3 years, at least. UCF wasn't a good team in 2016, because it wasn't Scott Frost's team, and even 2017 isn't totally Frost's team either. But GOL had some great recruiting classes in 2 of his final 3 years, and Frost benefited from that.

Extremely insightful and accurate post. What I most agree with is that I am too starting to fear that it's taken too long to get over that bump and be able to stand out in South Florida.

We had some steam coming off of 2010 and 2011, and we were even receiving votes for T25 after our win against you all. But in such a crowded market and today's "news is only news for 24 hours" society it's extremely difficult to attract constant crowds and media attention unless we have consistent success.

FIU had a tiny taste of that kind of attention that everyone else in the state is getting, and I believe that is what makes this all so frustrating. Rome wasn't built in a day.. but people in Miami are the definition of fickle. I hope Butch can find success in the next few years and I believe he will. It was just frustrating as an FIU fan to see the collapse that seems all too familiar.

It's only week 2 of the Butch Davis era so we need to be patient. I wish our teams meet again in the future as many of my favorite tailgating memories were against UCF.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:30 pm   
Juvenile Panther

HugoGP1 wrote:
Thank you UCFBS and welcome, I agree 100% about the competition, market, and Butch Davis. I have always enjoyed our rivalry and hope we could be more competitive next time we meet.
I wish the Florida legislature would mandate a rotation of +1 games/year (beyond the same conference rivals) between FBS programs in Florida. That way, over the course of a decade, everyone should end up playing each other at least once, at each location.

I'm just glad the FIU - UCF series started, when everyone else was avoiding scheduling anything of the sort. When FIU upset UCF to start it off, a number of my fellow Knight fans were moaning about scheduling FIU. No, that's exactly why you schedule teams ... you give them a chance, on the field, to prove themselves.

If only everyone looked at it that way ... prove it on the field.

- http://www.winsipedia.com/fiu/vs/ucf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Okay, I think FIU might be doing better than at least USF. I mean, USF is ranked ... and they cannot even get their beat reporter to show up to the season opener at home!!!

From: https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/9/ ... -opponents

"Not too many Bulls fans saw this poor performance
'No. 19 USF draws 4th-smallest crowd for a home opener'

By the way, that’s the take by a newspaper beat writer getting slammed by his readership for not watching the game.
''The plan is for me to cover every #USF game from here on out, okay?'"

Deeeeaaaammmmmnnnn! BTW, I love these Twitter-smacks against the reporter ...

"If you were there you wouldn't be asking questions about how we looked etc. Sorry I feel our beat writer should cover our games."
and ...
"#FakeReporter​"

What "Beat Reporter" doesn't make the f'ing games?! For a ranked team?! For once, despite all of my great dislike for USF ... I actually feel for them.

Like the other G5 programs in Florida, UCF's alumi youth (-20 years median alumni age v. Big 3) causes a lot of consternation with the local media personalities (largely graduates of Big 3) -- who downplay UCF after every big win (let alone when UCF's ranked). But still ... if UCF was ranked, and this happened at the Orlando Slantinel ... oh man! Short of open, urban warfare would probably result.