It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 am

GAMEDAY: FIU AT UCF

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 pm   
Cougar

Literally no life on both sides of the ball

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm   
Golden Panther

I expected to lose tonight. I expected to lose by 2-3 touchdowns tonight. I never thought we'd lose by 6+ touchdowns.
I also expected us to be competitive for at least a half. I expected to be excited by our offense. I did not expect to be saying "Same old FIU."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:41 pm   
Golden Panther

HooterHater wrote:
I expected to lose tonight. I expected to lose by 2-3 touchdowns tonight. I never thought we'd lose by 6+ touchdowns.
I also expected us to be competitive for at least a half. I expected to be excited by our offense. I did not expect to be saying "Same old FIU."

This.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 pm   
Cougar

HooterHater wrote:

I don't know if I am more upset at the team, or myself for buying into the hype so hard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm mad at myself for spending the last couple years thinking we were a talented team being coached by a lamp post and that a good coach would've had this team in bowl games. Now I realize that we've been a bad team and that we're STILL a bad team and I don't think there is any excuse for it. We're in the most talent rich county in the country. We're one of the ten largest universities in the country. I know we're a young program, but at some point that excuse becomes just that, an excuse.
We just can't lose to a G5 team by 44 points. Just CAN'T. That wasn't Bama, FSU, Ohio State or Clemson. That was freaking UCF, another mid-major that recruits the same players we do.
I haven't been this disgusted by a loss since the last Shula Bowl in Lockhart.
I'll be much more reasonable tomorrow.
I hope UCF turns out to be top-5 and ends up in a major bowl like the Blake Bortles team. Then I won't feel so disgusted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 pm   
Puma

I know this sucks, but you can't blame Butch for Turner's doing.

Butch inherited these kids that do not belong to his scheme, we have to give him a few more years than we can go hard on him.

Anyhow onwards till next week

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 pm   
Golden Panther

Well that was the worst possible start to the season...

Hope we can find a way to bounce back this season and salvage a 500 record.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm   
Cougar

This is just one game, but it leaves a bitter taste for all of us, becuase it's the first game of the season, and UCF.

We have to move past this and march on, to another game and a win next time...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:47 pm   
Golden Panther

Well... at least there wasn't a running clock put in like RT did his 1st year against Louisville... there's some positivity for you. 8)

First time I see an FIU football game live in forever and it had to be this crapshow. Yeesh. The worst part is I actually missed the "good" parts. Got into a bad traffic jam on I-95 heading to the game from Daytona that made me 20 minutes late and then my phone decided it wouldn't pull up my ticket until near the end of the 1st quarter because I couldn't get any freaking Wi-Fi at the stadium.

(Moral of the story... print your tickets out, folks.)

I get to my seat just in time for the kicker to make it 14-10 UCF... and then I got to watch the bottom fall out in spectacular fashion. I decided to leave right after UCF scored again in the 3rd quarter because I saw lightning from afar a few times and figured the game might be called sooner than later. First time I've ever left a football game early. I HATE doing that but I knew we weren't coming back.

Anyway... from what I saw... I can't disagree with most of the analysis on FIU. I don't think McGough was that bad, but man, he was telegraphing some of his balls. Quite a few batted balls at the line. Not to mention that idiot interception in the 2nd quarter. I was sitting near the UCF band and I saw as soon as he threw it that it was a pick. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking there. He had zero business throwing that ball into double coverage. He must've made up his mind immediately to throw that ball because, as far as I could tell, he didn't even scan before throwing it.

The less I say about the defense, the better. I don't think the front 7 was that awful; they had their moments, but they were pretty well dominated on size and strength. As for the secondary... God, I don't know what to say. Some of those breakdowns looked straight outta pee wee. I get that you want your D-line to get to the QB faster but you have to be able to handle the scramble at this level if you're a secondary player. You can't be losing your marks like that on a regular basis.

As for UCF... I think many of you are giving them short shrift, especially with this talk of "we're on par with them". No, we're not. Tonight proved it. That 0-12 year was so far out of the norm for them that I don't think it really means much. I think that's a $$$$ good team. They're going to make noise this year. Top 25 at some point wouldn't surprise me. Frost is a fabulous coach; if I could lock him up long-term, I'd take him over Butch. That Milton kid looks legit.

I know we made UCF look like Bama with some of the busted plays, but I also think UCF played about as flawless a game as you can realistically expect. They took advantage of every single FIU mistake. That doesn't happen often for G5 teams, even the higher-echelon ones. They looked P5 today with their level of execution.

Personally, I think all the pre-season talk of Butch turning FIU into a bowl team is a bit premature... not saying it can't happen, but it'll be like 6-6 or 7-5 if it does... and I didn't expect us to beat UCF or Indiana. I thought we'd do better than last year, though, and we clearly didn't. But UCF is clearly a better team than last year, too.

Anyway... it's just one game... next week should help the boys get some confidence back. After that, we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 am   
Golden Panther

I have said all along that all the speculation regarding this season was just that, and that the first game would provide answers for what this season was likely to be. Butch Davis was playing basically the same very average to poor players that played last year for FIU. I saw the transfer TE from NC catch one pass for five yards, nearly fumbling in the process, and the H back grad student in for one play during garbage time. BD clearly did not recruit a single player who was any kind of difference maker for this year (a tall order for a team with a crappy history and record, admittedly) and it remains to be seen if he will be able to next year. The number of penalties might well have been an FIU record and does not suggest that he is in control of his team. Our fourth year QB played terribly, about as immobile as a statue of Robert E. Lee, throwing ball after ball against the outstretched hands of defenders, and as for Mighty Mouse, please, let him never enter another FIU game. He cannot run and he certainly cannot throw. He has no business whatsoever being a D-1 college QB. If he truly is better than Christian Alexander and the freshman recruit, then we are not just bad at that position, we are dreadful. The OL cannot run block (they were OK against the pass rush) and the secondary may well be the worst such group in all of D-1 ball. Certainly they are the worst coached unit I have ever seen take the field at FIU. They are slow, undersized, without instincts, without desire, and apparently are completely uncoached. They, along with our game but basically slightly below average starting QB, lack of a running game, and undersized DL, suggest IMHO that we will be very lucky to finish 4-8. I hope we do not have to listen to any more BS about how the right coaching staff can make chicken salad out of chicken droppings. I really do not know if BD can bring in a cadre of talented kids who can make a difference in the years to come, but it is pretty clear that he cannot spin gold out of straw. I think the rest of this year should be about praying that the coaches do not lose the seniors, who can help inspire and instruct the newcomers, and the hope that we can scratch out a few wins along the way. Boy oh boy was this a letdown, hoping for a milkshake and being handed instead a glass of warm puke. Don't get your hopes too high for a blowout over Acorn State. We could be in for Bethune-Crockpot Redux.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:13 am   
Golden Panther

So I wake up today and still stand by what I said earlier. It was bad. I ripped everyone enough for one game. Next week is where we see how the coaching staff fixes mistakes. I understand it will be an FCS opponent. I just want to see no more missed assignments. No more stupid penalties. No more batted passes at the line. Play some solid, clean football. Let's just at least make it competitive against Indiana in week 3. Indiana looked pretty good last night, hanging tough with Ohio St. for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:39 am   
Puma

Let's all chill out. Yes, very disappointing. I expected a loss, but didn't expect a complete beat down. That said:

1) Butch is more a recruiter than an x's and o's coach. Always has been. However, our offensive coordinator is known for his x's and o's.

2) Clearly, we don't have a lot of talent on this team. But, we knew this.

3) Butch WILL IMPROVE THIS TEAM! However, it may not be this year. Reason: See #2 above. Even Saban, Jimbo, and Urban would have lost last night. Let's be realistic. However, Butch's team looked completely unprepared despite the lack of talent. The two-point play and the defensive confusion all night are proof of this.

4) The running game was awful. But that is because our offensive line is offensive.

5) What upsets me the most about Butch is that he didn't go all-out on the JUCO front this off-season getting O and D linemen. Also, why not get some DB? Perhaps he tried and failed, but dang our lines (both sides) are below average. Our D-line looks like we are starting our biggest linebackers at that position. They look tiny compared to UCF's lines. Milord Juste has tremendous drive and gets pumped up but he looks like he weighs 200 pounds next to UCF's guys. Anthony Johnson is bigger but is still small for a DT. Silva is way undersized.

5) I never thought our DBs were this bad. I really thought they would be ok. I didn't expect an ALL-CUSA defensive backfield but these guys were atrocious. Did they even show up? Did they learn schemes? Can a receiver be that open that often? I get missing an assignment here and there. Even the best pros miss an assignment. But they seemed to have missed every assignment.

6) My final question is: Is UCF that good? or were we that bad? Please tell me the team had food poisoning or something the night before.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am   
Juvenile Panther

The spread was 17. Vegas bookies aint no chumps. UCF is good.

No alarm bells though for me, we should be in a 6 win season at least.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 am   
Golden Panther

From the FIU website:

"i]Head Coach Butch Davis announced on Monday, March 6, the addition of Jeff Copp to the FIU football staff. Copp will serve as defensive backs coach.

“Jeff Copp is a tremendous addition to our staff,” Davis said. “He’s got a diverse coaching background and his experience coaching with Brent Guy at Utah State will be extremely valuable on the defensive side of the ball.”

Copp comes to FIU after spending one season (2016) at Northern Arizona as the Lumberjacks’ special teams coordinator. Prior to his stint at NAU, Copp coached at UC Davis for seven seasons."
[/i
]

I will say this much: our DB's did indeed play like lumberjacks. As to just how "extremely valuable" Coach Copp was to our defensive effort, I would say that is somewhat open to debate. Putting your DB's in the care of a D-2 coach who so far as I can tell has never stepped foot into a defensive backfield is an interesting proposition. Of course, you could always say that it does not take a chicken to cook a good omelette, and I would counter that indeed a giant egg was left in our defensive backfield last night. Really, for shame.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 am   
Golden Panther

Well, after taking some time to step away from the ledge, I've decided to go with the idea that UCF is really, really good and will be the surprise team of college football this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next