It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm

GAMEDAY: FIU AT UCF

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:41 pm   
Golden Panther

We all expected a loss. What I don't think any of us expecting was the brutal beat down we received. Many of us are left scratching our heads regarding what improvements, if any, have been made during the offseason. Understood, these aren't Butch's guys, but someone with such pedigree should be able to get more out of our product. It was a carbon copy of last year, a true beat down exposing the exact same liabilities we're known for: No secondary, no OL or DL support, poor discipline (although the targeting ejection was BS), and questionable play calling. I don't expect Butch to turn the program around in the few months he has been here, but I did expect a little improvement that correlates with the time he has been here.

Very disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:53 pm   
Golden Panther

TheFIUtheproud wrote:
5) What upsets me the most about Butch is that he didn't go all-out on the JUCO front this off-season getting O and D linemen. Also, why not get some DB? Perhaps he tried and failed, but dang our lines (both sides) are below average. Our D-line looks like we are starting our biggest linebackers at that position. They look tiny compared to UCF's lines. Milord Juste has tremendous drive and gets pumped up but he looks like he weighs 200 pounds next to UCF's guys. Anthony Johnson is bigger but is still small for a DT. Silva is way undersized.

Because it's a better idea to do that year 2 or 3, to get a bunch of juniors to come in strong to support the skill positions you've been trying to groom for two/three years already.

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 pm   
Golden Panther

nothingxs wrote:
TheFIUtheproud wrote:
5) What upsets me the most about Butch is that he didn't go all-out on the JUCO front this off-season getting O and D linemen. Also, why not get some DB? Perhaps he tried and failed, but dang our lines (both sides) are below average. Our D-line looks like we are starting our biggest linebackers at that position. They look tiny compared to UCF's lines. Milord Juste has tremendous drive and gets pumped up but he looks like he weighs 200 pounds next to UCF's guys. Anthony Johnson is bigger but is still small for a DT. Silva is way undersized.

Because it's a better idea to do that year 2 or 3, to get a bunch of juniors to come in strong to support the skill positions you've been trying to groom for two/three years already.

I'm not following what you're saying here... Can you please elaborate?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:37 pm   
Golden Panther

I for one will be interested to see how Lane Kiffin's exercise in recruiting among the various mercenaries and outcasts turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:25 pm   
Golden Panther

Quijote wrote:
We all expected a loss. What I don't think any of us expecting was the brutal beat down we received. Many of us are left scratching our heads regarding what improvements, if any, have been made during the offseason.

I think this was the big thing... where are the improvements? At first glance, it appears that we regressed in every single category sans maybe special teams.

The sample size is tiny though, and I'm willing to see how the season plays out.

And even if the season is a 2 win disaster, I think BD should have our patience.

Year 3 is where I expect to see marked improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:59 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
nothingxs wrote:
TheFIUtheproud wrote:

I'm not following what you're saying here... Can you please elaborate?

Going the JUCO route is a crap shoot. There are reasons why these guys weren't signed as freshmen. some problems can be fixed, some can only be hidden from the spotlight.

second, as a coach, your first 2 years are usually freebies. year 3 is when it starts to become your team. why pick up guys who are going to be gone when you become accountable for your W/L record?

finally, from a purely mathematical perspective it just doesn't work well. You're only allowed to give 25 scholarships a year. if you redshirt everyone you have 125 players to make up your 80 scholarship players allowed on your team. that gives you 45 players who for whatever reason don't work out, and you can pick up guys to replace them.

Say you only go the JUCO route, and all of your guys are juco players. 25x3 = 75. Even if all of your guys work out you're still playing 5 scholarships short.

2-3 juco transfers a year makes sense, anything more than that is mortgaging your future.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 pm   
Golden Panther

I think everyone in creation expected to see SOMETHING out there Thursday night that Turner would not have done, but what we got was a whole hot mess of Turner ball, with a defensive backfield that was so bad that it defies belief. I could have told you that most of our players are of marginal capability, or that there are so many of marginal capability that the few talented ones don't stand much chance of shining. But I thought maybe we would see that gargantuan tight end who played for North Carolina, for God's sakes, get the ball tossed to him in hopes he could steamroll someone. I thought maybe our linebackers would lay a lick on someone, but the only lick was a half-baked cheap shot after a play was dead that got our best athlete tossed. I saw our 250 pound fullback stopped in his tracks for a safety when everyone in the stadium knew that play was coming. I saw our QB substitute a sidearm delivery in place of any attempt at mobility and I also saw him, in frustration of course, throw a deep ball into not double but triple coverage for a certain interception. Owens made a nice grab and swatted down the miniscule defender trying to tackle him like a fly, Aurora Borealis kicked a long field goal when nerves might have gotten to him, and Napoleon Maxwell showed endurance and speed on his TD run, but that was against reserves. I saw so many stupid penalties committed (a couple of them the kind of crap that loser teams simply have to put up with when they are getting shellacked in someone's house, I will grant you) that in tandem with those backfield lapses and complete lack of any playcalling imagination (unless you want to count two dangerous lateral passes to Mighty Mouse) that it suggests to me that this team is anything BUT well-coached.

In fairness to BD, as an old NFL lifer said, "It is amazing how much better you can coach when you have good players playing for you," but Jesus H. Christ, are we going to have to sit through 11 more games of absolutely nothing interesting to watch in the name of "just wait until 2019 when--maybe--we will have some quality recruits ready to play"? I don't want BD's head, I just want him to freaking DO something with this marginal collection of talent that might be halfway interesting to watch. Just how many people might we predict are going to be storming into the stands next Saturday night when we host mighty Acorn State after that pitiful, downright disgusting performance last night? I will be there because I am an FIU lifer and clearly a glutton for punishment, but I would be so happy to see Kaylan Wiggins running the Wing T against the Acorns, or Christian Alexander throwing 100 passes, or just about anything other than what I am deathly afraid is going to be presented in the name of entertainment. Sorry for the rant. It has been building up since the day they hired Don Strock to use a 9 iron to guide us to glory.

As for the JUCO stuff, I respect BD's suspicion of going that route. I am just saying it will be interesting to see what happens tonight to Brother Kiffin, who apparently would stock the entire Burrowing Owls roster with castoffs if he could.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 pm   
Puma

I have a very bad feeling after seeing half a quarter of FAU that they will score 50 on us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
I have a very bad feeling after seeing half a quarter of FAU that they will score 50 on us.

They only scored ten points in the first half. And that's with a 95-yard TD pass. We'll be okay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:20 pm   
Puma

Building A Dynasty wrote:
reinierguerra wrote:

They only scored ten points in the first half. And that's with a 95-yard TD pass. We'll be okay.

yeah i may have over reacted a bit, still their offense is tailor made to kill us.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:15 am   
Golden Panther

I'm not a fan of JUCO. I understand the need for it sometimes, but I think it's far more important to build the foundation.

JUCO's fine for filling a hole or two. This team has lots of holes. A good patch job here and there can't hide the fact the foundation's cracked.

No 1 or 2 JUCO players will turn this team into a national title contender. Even then... those types are rare at the JUCO level. Cam Newton's the last one I can think of.

Like FIU2011? said... now's when Butch has the most flexibility in terms of W's and L's. No one expects FIU to be good this year or even next year. Gotta build with freshmen starting now.

In a few years... or if you have some kids fall into your lap... sure, go JUCO for a few guys. But you can't go JUCO all the time and expect to win.

For proof, I offer FIU men's basketball. That's the best example of why you don't constantly go for the short-term fix. It can cost you more in the long run.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:05 am   
Juvenile Panther

Long-time FIU fan (as a second college team) ... hope I'm welcome.

Diagodog wrote:
.. Our fourth year QB played terribly, about as immobile as a statue of Robert E. Lee ...
Actually, one might argue the Lee statues are moving a bit faster these days (bada-boom!)

In all seriousness, this isn't Davis' FIU team. He needs until at least 2019. It's still Turner's players. Focus on conference play for now. I say if Davis gets 4 wins in conference, he's done his job in 2017. If he gets 5+, let alone a bowl, he's more than exceeded expectations, for 2017.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 am   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
I'm not a fan of JUCO. I understand the need for it sometimes, but I think it's far more important to build the foundation.
JUCO's fine for filling a hole or two. This team has lots of holes. A good patch job here and there can't hide the fact the foundation's cracked.
JUCOs are about finding the right guys ... for that year, maybe 2. The Butch Davis era just started. JUCOs are never a got insert into a new, unestablished program and system. JUCOs are more of a consideration in 2019 for Davis, when you have some experienced pieces in the program, and just need 1-3 others filled.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:30 am   
Golden Panther

UCFBS wrote:
Long-time FIU fan (as a second college team) ... hope I'm welcome.

Welcome to the board man.

I wish Saturday would've been a little more competitive, but I think UCF is going to have a really good year. Personally, I love all of the misdirection and wrinkles in their offense. There was even a flea flicker if I remember correctly. Fooled the camera man once or twice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:08 pm   
Juvenile Panther

JUCO is not only a crapshoot. Try pitching a kid to come to a rebuilding program for 2 years. As a long time UM fan, you have to understand Butch LOVES to play freshman and develop them with a rebuilding team. After every game he will talk about the freshmen and the young kids like his upperclassmen dont even exist. I dont know the strength of his first class but I did see Kevin Oliver on the field alot. if there are any other freshmen who played alot, im not too sure. I have to get more familiar with the roster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next