It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

FIU Stadium Expansion

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:25 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:05 pm
Posts: 504
I know the usual rhetoric just win and the fans will show up. True, however how long will FIU play in small stadium.
Maybe with Butch winning, FIU will expand the Stadium in time for the 2021 season. Maybe at least an expanded least a Pressbox.
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:03 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 am
Posts: 661
Location: NY
I'm all in on the press box even if we dont expand seating for another 5 or 10 years.

We have the people who tell the rest of the country about FIU sitting in a half-baked pressbox. This is one area we need to put our best foot forward.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:45 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 pm
Posts: 756
Expanding seating is ridiculous to consider at this point... let's be real. With the current expansion, we have never once played to a standing room only sellout. Hell, the seating was not even designed in the traditional football sense with the bulk concentrated on the sidelines. That mock-up is reminiscent of the old Dolphin Stadium. They reduced seating and improved fan experience. We should take a cue.

The new Lakeview dorms across the street are really nice, and the alumni tailgate and team walk to the stadium are great moves.

Winning aside, if we want the casual extended community to buy in, we need to upgrade facilities to create a fun comfortable environment for everybody. Of course winning is the magic sauce, but the stadium should also be a facility alumns and fans to be proud of - I don't think it's fully that just yet.

OC Panther makes a great point about the press boxes. More suites and perhaps something cooler to do with the North side concourse.

I think there is a commitment to upgrade. The practice fields and BD's salary are proof of that. FIU is trending upwards again, albeit incrementally, after four years of regression. (This coming from someone who is expecting us to lose by 10+ Saturday)


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:56 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:05 pm
Posts: 504
Well said.

Quote:
We have the people who tell the rest of the country about FIU sitting in a half-baked pressbox. This is one area we need to put our best foot forward.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:14 pm
Posts: 593
Forget the expansion and pay the professors!!!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am
Posts: 1521
After many years of watching FIU football one thing I can say for certain is that we are at least a decade away from needing any kind of seating expansion. What we do need is to get rid of tent city. It's the biggest eye sore of the stadium. All those tailgate style tents up there look ridiculous.

We need a professional press box area. NO MORE TENTS!!!

I'd also like to see a full outer facade. Our exterior looks so cheap, especially with all the exposed metal innards.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:21 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Posts: 2269
FIU Beisbol wrote:
After many years of watching FIU football one thing I can say for certain is that we are at least a decade away from needing any kind of seating expansion. What we do need is to get rid of tent city. It's the biggest eye sore of the stadium. All those tailgate style tents up there look ridiculous.

We need a professional press box area. NO MORE TENTS!!!

I'd also like to see a full outer facade. Our exterior looks so cheap, especially with all the exposed metal innards.


Strongly agree with this. The stadium doesn't need more seats, but it needs to not look like a cheap, hastily built set of steel. Not having adequate press boxes is inexcusable. A facade would also go a long way in making the stadium look better. One issue with the facade is that it might have to get removed in a few years as the stadium expands. The press boxes should not, however.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am
Posts: 1521
Building A Dynasty wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
After many years of watching FIU football one thing I can say for certain is that we are at least a decade away from needing any kind of seating expansion. What we do need is to get rid of tent city. It's the biggest eye sore of the stadium. All those tailgate style tents up there look ridiculous.

We need a professional press box area. NO MORE TENTS!!!

I'd also like to see a full outer facade. Our exterior looks so cheap, especially with all the exposed metal innards.


Strongly agree with this. The stadium doesn't need more seats, but it needs to not look like a cheap, hastily built set of steel. Not having adequate press boxes is inexcusable. A facade would also go a long way in making the stadium look better. One issue with the facade is that it might have to get removed in a few years as the stadium expands. The press boxes should not, however.


FIU can build a facade with expansion in mind. Even if they need to redo parts of the facade, it won't need to be a complete rebuild.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 947
Location: Jacksonville, FL
I'd be down with some kind of facade. Couldn't be that expensive to do and hiding the innards of the bleachers would be a good thing. It's probably the one thing I notice the most the few times I've been to the stadium.

I know my perspective is a bit different than most of yours... but it's funny to me how so many of you care about the press area. In all honesty, I think all those critiques ares pretty overblown. The vast majority of media don't really care about that kind of crap.

No decent reporter I know of judges a stadium solely on press facilities. Those who complain about it are mostly people who like to complain about everything. And there's plenty of media types who love to complain and take potshots. It's what they do.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a decent press area and I would hope it gets done soon, but no matter how nice the facilities are, you're there to work. And if you work in media long enough, you will learn to handle pretty much any inclement weather situation you can think of. Being outside in a tent is not that big a deal, even if it's raining or windy. I've broadcasted in far worse setups (including one time where I got attacked by bees) and most reporters will tell you the same.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am
Posts: 1521
Clawing Cancer wrote:
I'd be down with some kind of facade. Couldn't be that expensive to do and hiding the innards of the bleachers would be a good thing. It's probably the one thing I notice the most the few times I've been to the stadium.

I know my perspective is a bit different than most of yours... but it's funny to me how so many of you care about the press area. In all honesty, I think all those critiques ares pretty overblown. The vast majority of media don't really care about that kind of crap.

No decent reporter I know of judges a stadium solely on press facilities. Those who complain about it are mostly people who like to complain about everything. And there's plenty of media types who love to complain and take potshots. It's what they do.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a decent press area and I would hope it gets done soon, but no matter how nice the facilities are, you're there to work. And if you work in media long enough, you will learn to handle pretty much any inclement weather situation you can think of. Being outside in a tent is not that big a deal, even if it's raining or windy. I've broadcasted in far worse setups (including one time where I got attacked by bees) and most reporters will tell you the same.


I just hate tent city. It makes us look so high school... No more tents!!!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Posts: 2269
Clawing Cancer wrote:
I'd be down with some kind of facade. Couldn't be that expensive to do and hiding the innards of the bleachers would be a good thing. It's probably the one thing I notice the most the few times I've been to the stadium.

I know my perspective is a bit different than most of yours... but it's funny to me how so many of you care about the press area. In all honesty, I think all those critiques ares pretty overblown. The vast majority of media don't really care about that kind of crap.

No decent reporter I know of judges a stadium solely on press facilities. Those who complain about it are mostly people who like to complain about everything. And there's plenty of media types who love to complain and take potshots. It's what they do.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a decent press area and I would hope it gets done soon, but no matter how nice the facilities are, you're there to work. And if you work in media long enough, you will learn to handle pretty much any inclement weather situation you can think of. Being outside in a tent is not that big a deal, even if it's raining or windy. I've broadcasted in far worse setups (including one time where I got attacked by bees) and most reporters will tell you the same.


At the FBS level? How many FBS programs have a tent city like FIU?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:23 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 947
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Building A Dynasty wrote:
At the FBS level? How many FBS programs have a tent city like FIU?


No idea, to be honest. But at least they have tents. I would've killed for such luxury at some of the places I went to. Totally not kidding. You try broadcasting from the top of a press box roof on a 90+ degree day or in a driving rainstorm with NO tent. Practically impossible unless you keep your gear totally dry and, even then, you're bound to get drenched.

This was back in the Orange Bowl days... but I've heard a few stories about what a hazard it was to call Miami games from the top of the old press box roof. One friend of mind who was from Syracuse told me he had to broadcast in a driving storm with no tent and nearly flew off the roof at one point from a real strong gust. He would've been happy to have one that day.

FIU Beisbol wrote:
I just hate tent city. It makes us look so high school... No more tents!!!


I suspect you'd feel differently if your only other choice as a media member was to work without a tent. Especially in Miami's heat. Or any other, really.

I'll share what was probably my worst experience as a broadcaster. Maybe you'll relate then.

It was the 2003 FIU football season opener at Indiana State. The Sycamores decided to make me and my broadcast partner (this was when I was at WRGP) haul all our gear up a vertical ladder to broadcast from the press box roof. Which wouldn't have been so bad, to be honest, had there been a tent. All we had was a folding table, a phone line and an extension cord which ran like 200 feet to the nearest plug.

In case you've never been to Indiana in September... it gets hot. Not Miami hot with the humidity, but not comfortable, either. Easily 90+ degrees on the roof, which was covered in black tar, for the most part. Our equipment got overheated from direct sun exposure during the pre-game show and we couldn't use it until it had cooled down. That took up all of the 1st quarter and I had to stick it in a drink cooler to speed the process along.

The Sycamore staff were less than sympathetic or helpful (which is a fairly common experience as visiting media, believe it or not)... but, fortunately, I managed to find just enough space under the stadium's press box A/C to stick our Comrex in the shade after it had cooled down enough and we got on-air. We were sweating like pigs in the sun, but it's radio, so whatever.

That, in itself, is a fairly common experience for many reporters and TV people. What made this one uncommon was the very large and active beehive hidden somewhere in the A/C unit. Never found out where, precisely. The bees and us lived in separate worlds until we made the big mistake of opening up a pair of Cokes during the half-time. In case you never knew... bees like Coke. We got swarmed in about 15 seconds and had to throw the Cokes over the side of the roof to get the bees away from our gear. How neither of us got stung, I'll never know.

We spent the rest of the broadcast swatting bees away while calling a close game that FIU would ultimately lose. It was also the game that effectively ended Jamie Burke's career at FIU. And it made me a lot more appreciative of tents ever since.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 558
So it was bee stings that ended Burke's career. Dang, the things you learn on this board.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am
Posts: 1521
FIU Beisbol wrote:
I just hate tent city. It makes us look so high school... No more tents!!!


I suspect you'd feel differently if your only other choice as a media member was to work without a tent. Especially in Miami's heat. Or any other, really.

I'll share what was probably my worst experience as a broadcaster. Maybe you'll relate then.

It was the 2003 FIU football season opener at Indiana State. The Sycamores decided to make me and my broadcast partner (this was when I was at WRGP) haul all our gear up a vertical ladder to broadcast from the press box roof. Which wouldn't have been so bad, to be honest, had there been a tent. All we had was a folding table, a phone line and an extension cord which ran like 200 feet to the nearest plug.

In case you've never been to Indiana in September... it gets hot. Not Miami hot with the humidity, but not comfortable, either. Easily 90+ degrees on the roof, which was covered in black tar, for the most part. Our equipment got overheated from direct sun exposure during the pre-game show and we couldn't use it until it had cooled down. That took up all of the 1st quarter and I had to stick it in a drink cooler to speed the process along.

The Sycamore staff were less than sympathetic or helpful (which is a fairly common experience as visiting media, believe it or not)... but, fortunately, I managed to find just enough space under the stadium's press box A/C to stick our Comrex in the shade after it had cooled down enough and we got on-air. We were sweating like pigs in the sun, but it's radio, so whatever.

That, in itself, is a fairly common experience for many reporters and TV people. What made this one uncommon was the very large and active beehive hidden somewhere in the A/C unit. Never found out where, precisely. The bees and us lived in separate worlds until we made the big mistake of opening up a pair of Cokes during the half-time. In case you never knew... bees like Coke. We got swarmed in about 15 seconds and had to throw the Cokes over the side of the roof to get the bees away from our gear. How neither of us got stung, I'll never know.

We spent the rest of the broadcast swatting bees away while calling a close game that FIU would ultimately lose. It was also the game that effectively ended Jamie Burke's career at FIU. And it made me a lot more appreciative of tents ever since.[/quote]


Yes, that sounds like a burdensome experience. But, please, why are you comparing us to a D1 school? We are an FBS program trying to take strides. If we want to look like a D1 school and play like them we might as well leave C-USA. Just because other lower tier schools have lesser facilities doesn't mean we should be content with that type of facility.

Lowering our standards is not the answer for FIU.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:27 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1904
So FIU is D1 FBS. Meaning they're a Division 1 program and they compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Programs like Villanova are D1 FCS. Meaning they're a Division 1 program and they compete in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Both schools can go to the college World Series and march madness, but Villanova plays in the FCS football tournament in their postseason and FIU plays in bowl games.


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chiaPanther, Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009