It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

FIU Stadium Expansion

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
So FIU is D1 FBS. Meaning they're a Division 1 program and they compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Programs like Villanova are D1 FCS. Meaning they're a Division 1 program and they compete in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Both schools can go to the college World Series and march madness, but Villanova plays in the FCS football tournament in their postseason and FIU plays in bowl games.

Ok, so we should lower our standards and compare ourselves to lower level programs?

You guys know what I'm saying. There is a clear seperation between D1 and FBS level. I guess you guys are content though with tent city. If it's good enough for Indiana State, then "why not us?"

:?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm   
Golden Panther

I am still thinking about those bees attacking Jamie Burke's knee. Poor kid. What a way to end a career.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
pikedanny wrote:
So FIU is D1 FBS. Meaning they're a Division 1 program and they compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Programs like Villanova are D1 FCS. Meaning they're a Division 1 program and they compete in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Both schools can go to the college World Series and march madness, but Villanova plays in the FCS football tournament in their postseason and FIU plays in bowl games.

Ok, so we should lower our standards and compare ourselves to lower level programs?

You guys know what I'm saying. There is a clear seperation between D1 and FBS level. I guess you guys are content though with tent city. If it's good enough for Indiana State, then "why not us?"

:?

I also hate tent city. I'm just pointing out that FBS IS D1. I was trying to clear that up for you. Both FBS AND FCS teams are D1.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:04 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I am still thinking about those bees attacking Jamie Burke's knee. Poor kid. What a way to end a career.

I always thought the "bees knees" was a good thing. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU4ever wrote:
Diagodog wrote:

I always thought the "bees knees" was a good thing. :?

Haha. I'm sure he'd have preferred the bees over yet another ACL tear. That kid just had no $$$$ luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Yes, that sounds like a burdensome experience. But, please, why are you comparing us to a D1 school? We are an FBS program trying to take strides. If we want to look like a D1 school and play like them we might as well leave C-USA. Just because other lower tier schools have lesser facilities doesn't mean we should be content with that type of facility.

Lowering our standards is not the answer for FIU.

I'm not. I'm just saying that it's not nearly as big a deal as you're making it out to be. I seriously doubt that many people care about "tent city". Most people go to watch a game, not tents. Personally, it doesn't detract from my fan experience.

By all means, build a press box. It's a good idea. Just don't pretend like having tents up to cover the media is some mortal sin or that it "looks bad". I guarantee you, they'd rather have the tents than nothing at all. Which is what they would have without the tents.

Also... listening to media types bitch on social media about the lack of a press box is pretty unprofessional. They should just do their $$$$ jobs. Another reason I'm glad I'm out of the business now. There's so much juvenile petty crap shown by media these days, most of it designed to make them the star of the show instead of covering the real stars of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:32 am   
Site Admin

By the way, now that they have that mobile media box, this really isn't a problem. The tents against the back of the concourse look fine, if not better than just seeing railings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 pm   
Site Admin

Thank god we weren't playing at home today. By the way in the tweet photo you can see the two mobile press boxes, even nicer than tents for your friends clawing, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:05 pm   
Golden Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
The Sycamore staff were less than sympathetic or helpful (which is a fairly common experience as visiting media, believe it or not)... but, fortunately, I managed to find just enough space under the stadium's press box A/C to stick our Comrex in the shade after it had cooled down enough and we got on-air. We were sweating like pigs in the sun, but it's radio, so whatever.

just so y'all know: FIU is pretty nice to visiting staff media afaik. i don't know what goes on above the suites because i haven't really checked, but games iirc are called from a suite now? also, the tents on the sides of the suites are usually student media, etc. and we upgraded to at least skirt around them so people don't get obliterated by water.

also there's like a room at the end where a bunch of people who do stats + media updates for both schools, and the radio booth has room for both visiting and home media and we make sure they all have connections, a/c, drinks etc.

idk i think we do as much as we can with what we have and i at least make sure our IT guys (usually Manny and I) who work the event that do support for the media ppl are on the ball.

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:06 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Thank god we weren't playing at home today. By the way in the tweet photo you can see the two mobile press boxes, even nicer than tents for your friends clawing, lol.

those are actually more for the radio! i haven't seen that second one holy $$$$ is that like brand new? gotta go there this week so i can make sure all the ethernet ports are wired up right

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 pm   
Site Admin

Yeah, clawing is an ex radio guy. Also, I hadn't seen the box on the left before today.
nothingxs wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:

those are actually more for the radio! i haven't seen that second one holy $$$$ is that like brand new? gotta go there this week so i can make sure all the ethernet ports are wired up right