It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 pm

GAMEDAY: Tulane @ FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:52 am   
Golden Panther

Great win tonight for our boys! Didn't expect us to win this game, and it was no fluke at all, as we dominated the game from the very beginning. As many have written, very good game plan and exectution by our players, including a bunch of frehsmen doing their stuff and contributing to this win.

FIU's best game, not only of the season, but perhaps since 2011. Way to go Panthers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 am   
Site Admin

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/tulane/article_78a23ade-b154-11e7-be9c-a37cb7898304.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 am   
Golden Panther

In contrast to the three previous wins, this one was textbook domination, one team simply outplaying the other from the opening drive to the final quarter. It certainly suggests to me that reaching the magic 6 is do-able, though I suspect we will continue to struggle to score points and stop a more adept passing offense. Meantime, though, we get to bask in glory for a couple of weeks and look forward to the prospect of a an actual competitive game on the road. Most enjoyable game I have watched at home since the night T.Y. Hilton threw a touchdown pass. Wonder what happened with Wint and Williams? They certainly were not missed, I will have to say, and Owens is officially a stud. So happy to be dead wrong on my pick 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 am   
Golden Panther

In contrast to the three previous wins, this one was textbook domination, one team simply outplaying the other from the opening drive to the final quarter. It certainly suggests to me that reaching the magic 6 is do-able, though I suspect we will continue to struggle to score points and stop a more adept passing offense. Meantime, though, we get to bask in glory for a couple of weeks and look forward to the prospect of a an actual competitive game on the road. Most enjoyable game I have watched at home since the night T.Y. Hilton threw a touchdown pass. Wonder what happened with Wint and Williams? They certainly were not missed, I will have to say, and Owens is officially a stud. So happy to be dead wrong on my pick 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:59 am   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 am   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am   
Juvenile Panther

I wondered about Wint and Williams, too. Seems like they were suspended. I wouldn't expect the FIU site to elaborate but I would expect to read more in the Miami Herald. Unfortunately, when you send a stringer to cover a game, I guess we were lucky that he noticed we played the game "without linebackers Anthony Wint and Treyvon Williams, the unit's two leading tacklers" (online edition) - but no explanation. For those who say the Herald is starting to come around toward FIU athletics, this ought to tell you something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Great win . Congrats to Butch and the Boys for a great effort.

Thank you to those who have posted reports. I'd still like some more in-depth insight into how we stopped their run game?

Tulane has been a running juggernaut, even against power 5 teams. I thought our D line was one of our biggest weaknesses so how did we do it? Are they turning the corner and can we expect more?

I am very happy with this win just looking to understand what happened :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:17 pm   
Golden Panther

OC Panther wrote:

Thank you to those who have posted reports. I'd still like some more in-depth insight into how we stopped their run game?

Tulane has been a running juggernaut, even against power 5 teams. I thought our D line was one of our biggest weaknesses so how did we do it? Are they turning the corner and can we expect more?

No passing threat, really. Simple as that. Everyone knew what was coming. The DL got help from the LB's and the secondary. And the only time Tulane was throwing was when it was obvious they had to.

There simply weren't a lot of missed or blown tackles last night. I guess the coaches have been working on that.

I was wondering about Wint and Williams, too. The backup LB's played very well, I must say.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am   
Golden Panther

OC Panther wrote:

As CC pointed out, it was a great gameplan. The D stacked the box every single play with both safeties. The safeties did a great job filling any lanes. The D-line and LBs were disciplined in reading the option and taking away the first guy. We dared Tulane to throw the football and they simply couldn't. I saw some Tulane posters (on another board) say FIU had better athletes than they did, which seems like a fair statement. S FL speed!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:47 am   
Golden Panther

So happy to be wrong on my prediction
i want to see them play like this more often

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 am   
Golden Panther

Here's a nice article on the defense during the win over Tulane. Apparently Wint and Williams had undisclosed injuries, but both are expected back soon.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article179406741.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am   
Golden Panther

If we can play like this the rest of the season we can definitely win 2 more games, which means we go bowling. That's our goal this season, simple as that.