It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Anybody Been to Marshall?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am   
Golden Panther

Work has me out in Cincinnati next week and I'm going to make the drive out to Huntington on Friday (about 150 miles) for the game.

Has anyone on the board been out there for a football game? Any suggestions on things to do, etc? Pro tips?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 pm   
Golden Panther

Never been. I heard its a dump, like most of Trump country.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I have passed huntington on my way to the lower gulley. the lower gulley white water rafting experiences was one of the coolest experience i have ever done. i recommend doing that. it is about an hour away from huntington. Huntington is basically a ittle bigger than a college town. If you are there for only a weekend, you should be ok going to bars.

Also - what brings you to cincinnait? i live in cincinnati.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm   
Golden Panther

Pantera-nation wrote:
I have passed huntington on my way to the lower gulley. the lower gulley white water rafting experiences was one of the coolest experience i have ever done. i recommend doing that. it is about an hour away from huntington. Huntington is basically a ittle bigger than a college town. If you are there for only a weekend, you should be ok going to bars.

Also - what brings you to cincinnait? i live in cincinnati.

I am flying in to meet with a vendor on Thursday morning. Don't know the city too well..

Are you also going to the game?

Marshall received some votes this week, a strong victory over MTSU Friday and it could be a Top 25 Opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Quijote wrote:

What are you really trying to say?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 am   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Quijote wrote:

What are you really trying to say?

LOL I think it's a pretty clear statement

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am   
Golden Panther

So why is it Marshall can do a complete turn around in one season and yet FIU struggles... Marshall goes from terrible to possible top 25?

Why not us????? (That's a real question!!!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am   
Golden Panther

Been to Huntington two or three times. The surrounding rugged countryside is picturesque in spots, especially during Fall leaf turning time. And the temps for an afternoon game ought to be prototypical college football sweater weather for the Midwest. But the area is somewhat depressed and there is nothing to do there, really, after the game. You could probably find a decent sports bar or a steak somewhere just by asking, but if we lose, it would be a downer to hang around, and if we win, who would you celebrate with? I'd hightail it back to Cincy, where there is good food, music, etc. Restaurant in the Cincinnatan Hotel is really pretty good, or you can pig out on Skyline Chili or... Give us a full report!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
So why is it Marshall can do a complete turn around in one season and yet FIU struggles... Marshall goes from terrible to possible top 25?

One could argue Marshall severely underperformed last season due to locker room issues. The talent was there. From what I've gathered a couple of players are no longer with the program. Now that the team is more functional, they are performing to their potential. FIU on the other hand doesn't appear to have to have the same amount of talent on the roster (or at least I think so).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Been to Huntington two or three times. The surrounding rugged countryside is picturesque in spots, especially during Fall leaf turning time. And the temps for an afternoon game ought to be prototypical college football sweater weather for the Midwest. But the area is somewhat depressed and there is nothing to do there, really, after the game. You could probably find a decent sports bar or a steak somewhere just by asking, but if we lose, it would be a downer to hang around, and if we win, who would you celebrate with? I'd hightail it back to Cincy, where there is good food, music, etc. Restaurant in the Cincinnatan Hotel is really pretty good, or you can pig out on Skyline Chili or... Give us a full report!

Hahaha believe me, I've considered how much the drive back will suck if we get blown out similar to the UCF opener... But, if we win, I will be a shining beacon of blue and gold in a sea of depressed green 8) I travel solo quite a bit, so I'm not overly bothered holding down the fort on my own.

Will definitely report in from the tailgate and game. Does anybody know how to upload photos directly from mobile?

Also, I'll consider any decent sign ideas. lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:

One could argue Marshall severely underperformed last season due to locker room issues. The talent was there. From what I've gathered a couple of players are no longer with the program. Now that the team is more functional, they are performing to their potential. FIU on the other hand doesn't appear to have to have the same amount of talent on the roster (or at least I think so).

Def agree with BAD on this one... We just don't have the horses yet.

Good thing some of our freshman are starting to show promise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm   
Golden Panther

I agree. Our talent isn't there yet. Marshall has great talent. FIU i just competing with a lot of good football teams in Florida for talent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm   
Golden Panther

We've lost talent to Marshall too... Rakeem Cato comes to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 pm   
Golden Panther

BTW, that drive from Cincy to Huntington is not exactly a piece of cake. You have to figure close to three hours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
BTW, that drive from Cincy to Huntington is not exactly a piece of cake. You have to figure close to three hours.

Haha thanks man. I'm going though. If we lose in an ugly fashion, you can rub it in after.

I convinced a friend to come along for the ride and rep some FIU gear, so it should be an adventure.