It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Anybody Been to Marshall?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 am   
Golden Panther

Are you kidding? There will be no rubbing it in. I just don't want you to be late for the game. I am jealous, and I hope you and your pal get to enjoy an in-their-face upset and that the day is the archetypal football Saturday in the Midwest. We may get a better idea of the prospects for the outcome after watching tonight's MTSU-Marshmallow game. Anyways, enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 pm   
Golden Panther

Appreciate it!

I will post photos and a full report when I get back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 pm   
Puma

Diagodog wrote:
Are you kidding? There will be no rubbing it in. I just don't want you to be late for the game. I am jealous, and I hope you and your pal get to enjoy an in-their-face upset and that the day is the archetypal football Saturday in the Midwest. We may get a better idea of the prospects for the outcome after watching tonight's MTSU-Marshmallow game. Anyways, enjoy.

I know I sound like a jerk, but can you stop implying that West Virginia is in the midwest? Please. At least I don't believe it is. If I am wrong, I will sincerely apologize. A quick review of a map shows that it is just west of Virginia. Virginia happens to be on the East Coast. History labels Virginia as a Southern State. Geography lists it as a mid-Atlantic State Then again the University of South Florida is nowhere near south Florida -- so what do I know.

Again, sorry. Pet peeve, I guess. Please feel free to call me out on this now or in the future when I will (as a human) make a silly statement or get something else really wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 pm   
Golden Panther

Huntington is just across the river from Ohio, who cares?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 am   
Juvenile Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
One could argue Marshall severely underperformed last season due to locker room issues. The talent was there. From what I've gathered a couple of players are no longer with the program. Now that the team is more functional, they are performing to their potential. FIU on the other hand doesn't appear to have to have the same amount of talent on the roster (or at least I think so).

Marshall had a down year last year and it was a 3 headed monster:

1)The OLine lost 5 starters in the 1st 3 weeks of the season (Each was out 6 weeks or more) and lost a 4 year starter after Game 6 (Michael Selby) to a career ending injury. Marshall didn't start the same OLine once last year.

2)The DLine had 4 starters missing from the field for 4 or more games. The DLine played only 3 games with the same starters.

3)The secondary was made up of almost all True and Redshirt freshman. That and 2 JRs and a Soph.

Doc held his ground and kept the 5 OLine freshman redshirted. Also kept redshirts on 3 DLine and 2 Secondary and special teams players. He chose to have a down season for the long term process and goal. Now those 5 OLine are 25-30 pounds heavier with a year in the weight room and 3 have had to start multiple games this year. The DLine redshirts weren't thrown to the wolves last year and know their position much better this season. And the 2 secondary players either bulked up or slimmed down on what each needed. The Marshall secondary which was maybe our worst unit last year have all grown up and may just be our best unit on the field.

Their were a few head cases and some that just didn't want to be there (Most went BYEBYE) but almost each team has a few of those. But it wasn't the deciding factor of us winning and losing. You will never hear a coach say it but our losing last year was us having over half of our starters injured last year.

Marshall is only starting 4 seniors on offense and defense, so almost the whole team will be back in 2018.

And as far as this being so called "Trump Country", a lot of us wouldn't spit on him if he were on fire, including me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 pm   
Golden Panther

GreenGlasses wrote:

And as far as this being so called "Trump Country", a lot of us wouldn't spit on him if he were on fire, including me.

That was an ignorant comment, please ignore.

Thanks for the rundown and insight. I think it's clear that Marshall has a ton more depth, especially in the trenches, than FIU. Your defense also looks like the real McCoy. We are going to need to win the turnover battle by a large margin to keep it competitive i'm afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am   
Golden Panther

I checked my atlas, which says that West Virginia is officially located "nowhere." Attending a Saturday afternoon game in hilly Huntington, with the leaves turning, actual fans in attendance and pumped up on Pabst and home-brewed moonshine and other up-the-holler substances shouting into what will hopefully be crispy, sunlit air ought to be close to a typical "Midwestern" football experience, but I think we should let RoaryHomeboy deliver the final pronouncement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I checked my atlas, which says that West Virginia is officially located "nowhere." Attending a Saturday afternoon game in hilly Huntington, with the leaves turning, actual fans in attendance and pumped up on Pabst and home-brewed moonshine and other up-the-holler substances shouting into what will hopefully be crispy, sunlit air ought to be close to a typical "Midwestern" football experience, but I think we should let RoaryHomeboy deliver the final pronouncement.

Dude, I hope you're right about the crispy sunlit air... It looks like its going to be cold and wet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:38 pm   
Golden Panther

There are only two enternal truths: it never rains on the golf course nor on the holy gridiron.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 pm   
Site Admin

Diagodog, check your PM's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:20 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Huntington is a great college town and a great place to visit for a football game. Marshall fans are very welcoming and friendly and often invite visiting fans to join their tailgates.

Also, post-game there are a lot of great places to eat and hang out. I highly recommend trying Rocco's Italian in nearby Kenova - it is where the TV crews from ESPN, et al, usually eat the night before games. If you are looking for a good sports bar or hang out, just walk across the street from Joan C. Edwards Stadium to a place called Fat Pattys. Great burgers and pub food with a bar. One of the things most visitors like to checkout when the come to Huntington is the Memorial Fountain on campus. That is a short walk from the stadium. Win or lose people here are respectful and friendly. Most visiting fan bases seem to really like it. (Also, beer is cheap. The food is great. Highly underrated place.)

As another post said, some world-class White Water is just about an hour away on the Gauley and New Rivers. West Virginia has a lot of scenic beauty. The drive from Cincy over to Huntington takes about 2.5 hours - the fastest route is on the AA Highway through Kentucky. Straight shot.

Safe travels and dress warm. Temps are expected to be in the 40s with rain all day on Saturday.

FYI - We are not Midwest. Mid-Atlantic is more fitting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:27 pm   
Golden Panther

Yep, just like I said, Mid-Nowhere, but a great place for a Midwestern-styled football Saturday afternoon, if the sun is shining, that is. I grew up there so I get to say any $$$$ thing I want to about it. What I want to know is, did our wandering boy make the drive from Cincy or not?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 pm   
Golden Panther

Quite the nice post from MarshallGrad, by the way. The ones we will get from FAU will likely go something like, "Hey FIU guy, be sure and stamp on that burning paper bag we left by your tailgate area."