It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

GAMEDAY: FIU @ Marshall

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:22 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 pm   
Golden Panther

$$$$ proud of the way we played this game and finished!!!

$$$$ proud boys!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:57 am   
Golden Panther

What a win! Very proud of this team. It seems each week the team gets better and better. I love it! Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:46 am   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 pm   
Golden Panther

Some posts on here about being disappointed by the DL.

Not sure I agree with that.
The DL played one hell of a game considering this was a Marshall OL that has given up only 3 sacks and possibly the best OL outside of UCF we've seen.
While we didn't have any sacks, we forced 7 QB hurries.

Also don't judge the final score. FIU was up 28-7 at the half and 35-14 after 3 quarters.
In their final 5 possessions, Marshall pilled on 305 yrds but the game appeared out of reach and you can see the difference in the defensive play calling.

I find it hard to be disappointed on a unit we knew was substantially undersized coming in.
We all knew Butch and our DC would have to scheme around the DL and use the LB's and Safeties more.

But the reality is that the DL has played surprisingly well the last two weeks.
The young DL is active and plays with good gap discipline.

I think considering everything we knew coming in, they have over achieved and getting better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 pm   
Juvenile Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Some posts on here about being disappointed by the DL.

Not sure I agree with that.
The DL played one hell of a game considering this was a Marshall OL that has given up only 3 sacks and possibly the best OL outside of UCF we've seen.
While we didn't have any sacks, we forced 7 QB hurries.

Also don't judge the final score. FIU was up 28-7 at the half and 35-14 after 3 quarters.
In their final 5 possessions, Marshall pilled on 305 yrds but the game appeared out of reach and you can see the difference in the defensive play calling.

I find it hard to be disappointed on a unit we knew was substantially undersized coming in.
We all knew Butch and our DC would have to scheme around the DL and use the LB's and Safeties more.

But the reality is that the DL has played surprisingly well the last two weeks.
The young DL is active and plays with good gap discipline.

I think considering everything we knew coming in, they have over achieved and getting better.

Yeah, we definitely disagree. Maybe 'disappointed' is the wrong word (since we knew they'd be undersized), but I expected the problem to be with the DTs, not the DEs.

I know you're mentioning 7 hurries, but I never saw any yesterday. All I've seen this season are opposing QBs with waaaay too much time on each play. In other words, I'm pleasantly surprised we're stopping the run (which I thought we wouldn't coming into the season), but cringe on passing downs (which, I suppose shouldn't, as it should've been expected as well).

The one positive is the amount of reps we're getting for underclassmen. That'll pay off in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:18 pm   
Juvenile Panther

One caveat: I didn't get to watch the Tulane game. So, maybe our DEs rocked in that game...?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:16 am   
Golden Panther

theDude wrote:
One caveat: I didn't get to watch the Tulane game. So, maybe our DEs rocked in that game...?

DE Silva earned CUSA Defensive Player of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:25 am   
Golden Panther

I'm just saying, we were playing best OL in CUSA and second in country...
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/468

Not saying DL playing great, just saying they playing close to expected. But doing enough as a team to be 5-2.

#DiezYDos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:34 am   
Golden Panther

I think Coach Holmes should be praised for the job he has done with the D-line. Outside of Silva, he inherited minimal talent, but has molded these guys into a steady group of players. They are essentially undersized every week, but they work their butts off and are well-disciplined, as Chia said. I think Oliver and Curtis will be solid DEs as they continue to hit the weight room, and are already making contributions in the rotation. Clearly the D-line is not the best in C-USA, but they are definitely exceeding my expectations. Let's see how they do stopping the run against teams like FAU...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:33 pm   
Golden Panther

Apparently the game is archived on Stadiums FB page. I was one of the ones that originally complained about our games being on there vs traditional networks... but I have to say they do an amazing job and the games look and sound great on Apple TV with Airplay.

Here's the game vs Marshall. I plan to rewatch it tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollege ... 129364736/