It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:33 pm

How good is WKU this year?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:26 pm   
Golden Panther

Western Kentucky...

I don't think WKU is as good as they have been the last few years. WKU hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all season. They haven't exactly blown out any teams.

WKU vs Marshall will be a good measuring stick this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am   
Golden Panther

Marshall hasn't been anybody, either. That's the thing with CUSA this year, there are teams with winning records but who've beaten a bunch of bad teams. When we played Marshall they were 6-1, but all six of their wins were against teams with a combined 13 wins to date, 11 at the time we played them. UTSA was 5-2 but with a similar opponent W-L record. That's why I'm still skeptical about how good we are. Maybe we're just the best team at beating teams who only beat bad teams. The fact that we have two wins over teams with winning records looks good on us, but those winning records came against losing teams. I'm still trying to figure out what happened against MTSU. WTF?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:37 am   
Golden Panther

HooterHater wrote:
Marshall hasn't been anybody, either. That's the thing with CUSA this year, there are teams with winning records but who've beaten a bunch of bad teams. When we played Marshall they were 6-1, but all six of their wins were against teams with a combined 13 wins to date, 11 at the time we played them. UTSA was 5-2 but with a similar opponent W-L record. That's why I'm still skeptical about how good we are. Maybe we're just the best team at beating teams who only beat bad teams. The fact that we have two wins over teams with winning records looks good on us, but those winning records came against losing teams. I'm still trying to figure out what happened against MTSU. WTF?

I think MTSU is better than their record. FIU just fell flat against the raiders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm   
Golden Panther

HooterHater wrote:
Maybe we're just the best team at beating teams who only beat bad teams.

This should be inscribed somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm   
Golden Panther

This is why WKU vs Marshall will be really interesting this weekend. Of course all that matters is FIU wins this weekend. One week at a time.

Personally, I hope Marshall beast WKU. Better for us in the standings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm   
Cougar

Planning on going to this game. Do you all think it will be a full or empty house? Not sure if Thanksgiving break will have people leaving or have people sticking around Miami and going to the game. And there is no UM home game that day for the half n half fans lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 am   
Golden Panther

Beating "bad" teams, my aching butt. We have dominated three teams that Jeff Almighty Sagarin has rated as supposedly miles above us, that is what counts, that and the fact of the wins themselves. "Ratings" for teams much below the top 50 or so are based upon little beyond armchair pipe-sucking. Even the Stadium announcers for the UTSA game had almost nothing to say by way of the season's background about FIU (and lots about UTSA) because they had only covered UTSA. Most all of FIU's "ratings" are done by some "expert" looking in the newspaper on Sunday morning, using such fallacies as comparative scores and the like. I suspect that FAU's offense would give the defense of just about any team in the lower half of any power five conference absolute fits but it doesn't suit the commercial aims of guys like Sagarin to suggest such parity. I just hope we don't look past ODU, whom we should beat like the Cleveland Indians outfield drum, thus setting up a great game to look forward to.