It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:20 pm

GAMEDAY: ODU @ FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 am   
Cougar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm
Posts: 176
reinierguerra wrote:
“Some sort of a game plan” ???? That doesn’t sound too hopeful.


He is:
1) Mad as hell that they lost to a 3-6 team
2) Mad as hell at the D's/teams/staffs performance
3) (probably) disappointed/frustrated at the lack of fan support

Also, as the reporter said, the team is having trouble with the run. So, not looking good


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 am   
Cougar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 158
We lost and we have lost before. I for one have become used to it. Let's take our lumps and move on. This was a big wake up call for the team, BD, the coaches and the fans. However, the next game will be the real test; can we put up a fight for the Shula Bowl trophy? Will the team be fired up or will they fizz out once in the cage? I want to see the seniors go to a bowl game an out on top their last year at FIU.

P.S we always have MIAMI....


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 am   
Cougar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm
Posts: 176
Katar1 wrote:

P.S we always have MIAMI....


Never been to their campus/games, so thats a hard pass for me


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:45 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Posts: 2269
Katar1 wrote:
We lost and we have lost before. I for one have become used to it. Let's take our lumps and move on. This was a big wake up call for the team, BD, the coaches and the fans. However, the next game will be the real test; can we put up a fight for the Shula Bowl trophy? Will the team be fired up or will they fizz out once in the cage? I want to see the seniors go to a bowl game an out on top their last year at FIU.

P.S we always have MIAMI....


P.S. This is an FIU message board. Miami winning doesn’t help FIU at all. Not sure what that has to do with the ODU game. If anything, it’s an attitude like that which is why attendance was piss poor for a team off to its best start in program history.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 2278
Katar1 wrote:
We lost and we have lost before. I for one have become used to it. Let's take our lumps and move on. This was a big wake up call for the team, BD, the coaches and the fans. However, the next game will be the real test; can we put up a fight for the Shula Bowl trophy? Will the team be fired up or will they fizz out once in the cage? I want to see the seniors go to a bowl game an out on top their last year at FIU.

P.S we always have MIAMI....


People can cheer for who they want, but the health of another program doesn't improve the health of ours'.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am
Posts: 1521
Building A Dynasty wrote:
Katar1 wrote:
We lost and we have lost before. I for one have become used to it. Let's take our lumps and move on. This was a big wake up call for the team, BD, the coaches and the fans. However, the next game will be the real test; can we put up a fight for the Shula Bowl trophy? Will the team be fired up or will they fizz out once in the cage? I want to see the seniors go to a bowl game an out on top their last year at FIU.

P.S we always have MIAMI....


P.S. This is an FIU message board. Miami winning doesn’t help FIU at all. Not sure what that has to do with the ODU game. If anything, it’s an attitude like that which is why attendance was piss poor for a team off to its best start in program history.



Exactly. We always have Miami??? We are FIU. Go Panthers!!!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am
Posts: 1521
While I was at the game, I was very disappointed in fan turn out. We were 6-2 and can't get more butts in the stadium. It's sad.

Our run defense was garbage. Absolute garbage.

Special teams? What was with that terrible fake punt attempt???? Snap the dang ball right.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 187
FIU Beisbol wrote:
While I was at the game, I was very disappointed in fan turn out. We were 6-2 and can't get more butts in the stadium. It's sad.

Our run defense was garbage. Absolute garbage.

Special teams? What was with that terrible fake punt attempt???? Snap the dang ball right.


It's going to take more than one winning season to get people in the stands.

Also we are not in some midwest city. Going to an FIU game feels like going to a high school game. From the announcers, to the stadium, it just feels little league. Especially compared to other big state programs.

Miami is not the type of city that supports minor league teams.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4523
I mean I agree with most of this, but you do realize that the announcer is the same one that does the Heat games.

SP1029 wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
While I was at the game, I was very disappointed in fan turn out. We were 6-2 and can't get more butts in the stadium. It's sad.

Our run defense was garbage. Absolute garbage.

Special teams? What was with that terrible fake punt attempt???? Snap the dang ball right.


It's going to take more than one winning season to get people in the stands.

Also we are not in some midwest city. Going to an FIU game feels like going to a high school game. From the announcers, to the stadium, it just feels little league. Especially compared to other big state programs.

Miami is not the type of city that supports minor league teams.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 187
FIUPantherFan wrote:
I mean I agree with most of this, but you do realize that the announcer is the same one that does the Heat games.

SP1029 wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
While I was at the game, I was very disappointed in fan turn out. We were 6-2 and can't get more butts in the stadium. It's sad.

Our run defense was garbage. Absolute garbage.

Special teams? What was with that terrible fake punt attempt???? Snap the dang ball right.


It's going to take more than one winning season to get people in the stands.

Also we are not in some midwest city. Going to an FIU game feels like going to a high school game. From the announcers, to the stadium, it just feels little league. Especially compared to other big state programs.

Miami is not the type of city that supports minor league teams.


The stadium announcer?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 947
Location: Jacksonville, FL
SP1029 wrote:
The stadium announcer?


Yes. Same guy. Michael Baiamonte.

Having said that... I just can't get over the DJ. He needs to go. Hearing him in the background just gets on my nerves. It's a football game, not a club.

Seriously... name another college program who has a DJ at the game. It's retarted. The guy serves no good purpose being there. Why do you need someone to spin music and try to hype up the (what little there is) crowd? That feels really amateur to me.

If having a DJ there would attract more of the student tailgaters to the games, I'd grit my teeth and bear it... but clearly, that's not happening... so pull the plug on that and move on. Time for another plan to get the kids in.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 558
Pete's Budget-DJ Salary=Free Beer.

This is the E=MC2 of FIU student attendance.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 947
Location: Jacksonville, FL
FIU Beisbol wrote:
Building A Dynasty wrote:
Katar1 wrote:
We lost and we have lost before. I for one have become used to it. Let's take our lumps and move on. This was a big wake up call for the team, BD, the coaches and the fans. However, the next game will be the real test; can we put up a fight for the Shula Bowl trophy? Will the team be fired up or will they fizz out once in the cage? I want to see the seniors go to a bowl game an out on top their last year at FIU.

P.S we always have MIAMI....


P.S. This is an FIU message board. Miami winning doesn’t help FIU at all. Not sure what that has to do with the ODU game. If anything, it’s an attitude like that which is why attendance was piss poor for a team off to its best start in program history.


Exactly. We always have Miami??? We are FIU. Go Panthers!!!


Personally, I'll never cheer for the Canes no matter what... but I can understand why a lot of Miamians who never went to the school do. For many, it's about identity. People tend to identify with the regions they live in or were born in.

Sure, the U is private and 99% of Miamians can't even dream of going there... but they're still named Miami. When they do well, it means the name Miami is doing well... and that often instills a sense of civic pride. And when they're not doing well, they get abandoned like a carcass to the vultures.

How many people do we all know who cheer for the U even though they never went there? I know a bunch... and the one thing they all have in common is they love Miami as a city. They identify with it... and even though the student population isn't that reflective demographically of Miami, the football team sure is.

Think of it like this... if the U was named Coral Gables instead of Miami, do you think they get as much support from the community? Personally, I doubt it. Who identifies with rich people other than rich people? And no one knows where Coral Gables is unless you're from South Florida.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons I'd seriously consider a name change if I was FIU. There's nothing about FIU which says "Miami" and I think that will always be an issue if the goal is to get the greater South Florida area behind the school and its athletic programs.

Sure, winning matters and all that... but keep in mind that colleges don't just represent alums. They also represent regions. What incentive does someone from Miami who didn't go to FIU have in repping FIU even if they're doing well? No one outside the area knows FIU. How does that inspire civic pride?

Does Miami have that problem? Nope. You know exactly where they are. Says it in the name. And I think that's a lesson FIU should really take to heart if they really want the community to embrace its sports when they're doing well.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 187
Quote:

Personally, I'll never cheer for the Canes no matter what... but I can understand why a lot of Miamians who never went to the school do. For many, it's about identity. People tend to identify with the regions they live in or were born in.

Sure, the U is private and 99% of Miamians can't even dream of going there... but they're still named Miami. When they do well, it means the name Miami is doing well... and that often instills a sense of civic pride. And when they're not doing well, they get abandoned like a carcass to the vultures.

How many people do we all know who cheer for the U even though they never went there? I know a bunch... and the one thing they all have in common is they love Miami as a city. They identify with it... and even though the student population isn't that reflective demographically of Miami, the football team sure is.

Think of it like this... if the U was named Coral Gables instead of Miami, do you think they get as much support from the community? Personally, I doubt it. Who identifies with rich people other than rich people? And no one knows where Coral Gables is unless you're from South Florida.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons I'd seriously consider a name change if I was FIU. There's nothing about FIU which says "Miami" and I think that will always be an issue if the goal is to get the greater South Florida area behind the school and its athletic programs.

Sure, winning matters and all that... but keep in mind that colleges don't just represent alums. They also represent regions. What incentive does someone from Miami who didn't go to FIU have in repping FIU even if they're doing well? No one outside the area knows FIU. How does that inspire civic pride?

Does Miami have that problem? Nope. You know exactly where they are. Says it in the name. And I think that's a lesson FIU should really take to heart if they really want the community to embrace its sports when they're doing well.


I always thought changing the name was stupid but your absolutely right. I'm seeing friends on social media post about The Canes, who haven't watched a game in years...why? Well because they love anything Miami that's successful.

FIU might have 55k students and 200k alumni world wide. But there are many more residents than that, down here who either didn't go to college or went to Dade, Broward college, nova, st Thomas, Berry, Florida Memorial, johnson and wales and so on that align themselves more with Miami because well, it's Miami.

FIU's only hope is that the students and alumni (who didn't grow up with UM) start getting involved. Cause the non FIU related residents down here will never support the school. Specially after the season Miami is having and will continue having under Mark Richt.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 947
Location: Jacksonville, FL
SP1029 wrote:
I always thought changing the name was stupid but your absolutely right. I'm seeing friends on social media post about The Canes, who haven't watched a game in years...why? Well because they love anything Miami that's successful.

FIU might have 55k students and 200k alumni world wide. But there are many more residents than that, down here who either didn't go to college or went to Dade, Broward college, nova, st Thomas, Berry, Florida Memorial, johnson and wales and so on that align themselves more with Miami because well, it's Miami.

FIU's only hope is that the students and alumni (who didn't grow up with UM) start getting involved. Cause the non FIU related residents down here will never support the school. Specially after the season Miami is having and will continue having under Mark Richt.


I wouldn't say that. I certainly think it's possible that FIU can get the community behind them if its sports do well. I just think it'd be a lot easier to get their support if FIU was named, say, Miami State. Or something which identifies the school with the South Florida area. Doesn't have to be that, specifically.

Also... I think it would help separate FIU a bit more from all those other schools you mentioned... not to mention FAU... if they were to change their name. I think FIU's brand in South Florida, such that it is, is automatically considered inferior to Miami, UF and FSU by most people... and probably UCF and USF, if we're being totally honest.

A name change in conjunction with sustained success in sports might go a long way towards changing that... regardless of what Miami does. I don't think you can really worry much about what they or anyone else does.


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009