It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

Blue and Gold vs Orange and Green

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Oh my god it's SO HARD to explain to people that FIU is in Miami. So incredibly difficult to say "its in Miami." Ugh.

The school in coral gables has nothing to do with us. We owe them nothing. We don't even need to mention them on this board. Focus on FIU.

That first sentence is why FIU seriously needs to consider a name change.

You shouldn't have to explain where your school is located to anyone. Ever. That's a major problem. Especially if you want to become a brand name type of school, which is the whole point of investing money in sports to begin with.

Katar1 wrote:
Sex Panther understands. I wish people on these boards would not get in their feelings once Univ of Miami is brought up. We can be an alternative to U and still thrive.

Butch has created media interest in our program, and this because, he was a former UM Coach. Let us not fool ourselves, this is a win for us. I have never seen the local media fall all over themselves to speak with someone like Butch. The power he has is incredible. Also, he still has a fan base here in South Florida; UM fans, players and some within the media, and college athletics. We struck a goldmine when he arrived.

“Good luck diminishing your own degree for the benefit of yuppie NYC transplants”. “This was a low blow Mr. Administrator”. It’s hard to explain to those that don’t reside in South Florida where FIU is. This is what diminishes my degree, dear sir.

P.S who says yuppie anymore that's so dated....

All this. 100% agree. Especially the second to last line.

There's no need to hate on Miami just to hate on them. FIU can learn a lot from them, frankly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm   
Golden Panther

Why do people need to know where a school is located? Many state schools don't have their city in there name.... (Alabama, Wisconsin, Florida, Florida St., etc....). The list goes on and on. FIU has Florida in the name and that is basically good enough. People within S FL know where FIU is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Is it time to begin the Miami State conversation again?

We're FIU and we'll continue to be FIU, get over it and get used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm not advocating a name change, but FWIW, I grew up in Palm Beach, grew up seeing Florida International in box scores in the sports section. But until I was looking to go back to school and start a new career path at the age of 35 and started researching schools, I had no idea FIU W in Miami, just 60 miles away.
Whenever I go to FGCU to see baseball or basketball games wearing my FIU gear, I ALWAYS have at least one person ask me where it is.
I don't really care, though. I'm proud to be an alum of FIU. Don't need anyone else's approval.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:23 pm   
Golden Panther

This notion that people need to know the city that a schoo is located in is so incredibly stupid. Where is Duke? Where is Rutgers? Where is Georgia State? Where is Texas A&M?

My point is most people couldn't name the city of most of the college teams in NCAA. I've made this same post a dozen times already. The fact that people don't know FIU is in Miami means little to nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 pm   
Juvenile Panther

pikedanny wrote:
This notion that people need to know the city that a schoo is located in is so incredibly stupid. Where is Duke? Where is Rutgers? Where is Georgia State? Where is Texas A&M?

My point is most people couldn't name the city of most of the college teams in NCAA. I've made this same post a dozen times already. The fact that people don't know FIU is in Miami means little to nothing.

Technically its in Sweetwater; closest tie to Miami would be Miami-Dade County.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:42 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
This notion that people need to know the city that a school is located in is so incredibly stupid. Where is Duke? Where is Rutgers? Where is Georgia State? Where is Texas A&M?

We get confused with FAU all the time by everyone outside of South Florida... and if that isn't enough of a reason to do a name change, or at least consider it, then what is? Do you like being confused with our primary rival all the time?

I agree that the city itself doesn't matter to the average person outside of the area... but that's not why you do it. You do it because it might (or would) mean something to the average person in South Florida.

College sports is about civic (or regional) pride, not just for alums. When you wear a Dolphins shirt or a Heat hat or a "UM" jersey, you're not just cheering that team. You're really telling people you're proud of being from Miami.

We all know most of the U's fans never went to the school. So their only connection to the school is through the teams... and when the teams do well, people embrace it because it makes Miami look good. Why? Because it says Miami in the school name. They're proud of their city.

So... why not tap into that same vein if you're FIU? Why not give a reason or two for someone with no connection to the school otherwise to feel that civic pride when FIU does well?

Isn't the whole point of being good in sports (besides making money) to attract people to the school who wouldn't care otherwise? Why else does Texas, and Alabama, and so many other schools make it a point to be good in sports?

People on this board complain all the time that there's a lack of pride in FIU... the students don't come to the games... the community at large doesn't seem to care... blah blah blah. Maybe it's because FIU as a brand means nothing to them. Maybe Miami State (or something like that) would mean something to them. (Assuming there's wins, of course.)

HooterHater wrote:
I'm not advocating a name change, but FWIW, I grew up in Palm Beach, grew up seeing Florida International in box scores in the sports section. But until I was looking to go back to school and start a new career path at the age of 35 and started researching schools, I had no idea FIU W in Miami, just 60 miles away.
Whenever I go to FGCU to see baseball or basketball games wearing my FIU gear, I ALWAYS have at least one person ask me where it is.
I don't really care, though. I'm proud to be an alum of FIU. Don't need anyone else's approval.

For the record... I'm not saying it should happen. But I would like FIU to at least seriously look into it. This is big time college sports FIU is trying to break into. I think it makes sense to at least give a serious look at your branding and see if it actually resonates with the people you want to attract.

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Why do people need to know where a school is located? Many state schools don't have their city in there name.... (Alabama, Wisconsin, Florida, Florida St., etc....). The list goes on and on. FIU has Florida in the name and that is basically good enough. People within S FL know where FIU is.

And how many of those South Floridians actually care about FIU? From the attendance at games... not many. Maybe it's time to ask why that is and what the school should do to fix that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm   
Cougar

Just win. FAU is winning. Media talks about them. People show up. Its simple

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:06 pm   
Golden Panther

The school name is fine, please stop it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 am   
Golden Panther

People show up to FAU? Were you watching Saturday night? The glare of the lights off the empty seats was blinding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 am   
Cougar

Diagodog wrote:
People show up to FAU? Were you watching Saturday night? The glare of the lights off the empty seats was blinding.

Compared to our games, yes. Caught the Shula bowl and our own homecoming game on TV, and it seemed like there were more in attendance in the former. Wikipedia says there were 18k students at the UTSA game, but that is largely inflated

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am   
Golden Panther

I doubt we've had 7000 butts in seats at any game this season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm   
Golden Panther

My point is a simple one: FAU is the conference powerhouse, on a six game roll, playing against the closest thing they have to a rival, in a cool stadium, got a famous coach (for this year) and they draw > 10,000. I wish there could be a moratorium on bemoaning FIU attendance, talking about us like we are some kind of anomaly. If we were in Wichita, Kansas, and on a six game roll, maybe there would be 25-30,000 butts in the seats, or in Boone, NC, possibly, but we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto. We win on a consistent basis, year in year out, possibly we will get our 15.000-20,000. I believe that is the cold, hard truth and there is nothing that Pete or his replacement, Mario, Butch, or God can do about it. Go to the games. Beg your friends to go to the games. Pray for wins and better recruits and better food and drink at the concession stands, things that can actually be accomplished. One day there may be a facade. There will likely be no second deck for a long, long time, nor should there be until there is a Power 5-like product for people to behold. A middling team in Conference USA does not merit a crowd of more than 15,000-20,000, and I do not care how many FIU alumni or students there are. Those hundreds of thousands of alums and students do not give a crap right now and they cannot be forced to give a crap. Let's accomplish a few things first, and THEN start up with the pissing and moaning. Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see what the turnout in Lane Kiffin Stadium is on December 2 for the CUSA Championship. That might establish a reasonable benchmark for FIU aspirations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm   
Golden Panther

Any CUSA school mocking another about attendance is laudable. I watch a lot of CUSA football and all of the stadiums are mostly empty. The other night FAU's student section want much fuller than ours has been this season. I'm sure they have the same issue we do: A lot of their students were probably off celebrating Miami's win over Virginia as if they go to UM instead of FAU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm   
Golden Panther

Laughable...not laudable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next