It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Blue and Gold vs Orange and Green

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 am   
Cougar

I have a bad feeling that the Lane train is here to stay for some time in South Florida. I don't think he's going to leave so fast. There is still some bad blood out there when his name is discussed. Therefore, he has to stay to prove to his critics, that this season wasn’t a fluke with FAU. Plus, with his stock rising that would mean other universities would have to pay a lot more to get him. Remember you buy low and sell high. So we may have to contend with FAU next year, and hopefully we come out on top.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:08 am   
Cougar

There is a reason why Metro Dade County is now rebranded Miami Dade County. The business leaders, mayor and commissioners realized that in order to bring business to the magic city they had to link the county with the city. This rebranding helped them sell the county in many different ways to different industries. This has added millions to the cities and county coffers, this was a no brainer for them “why not us”?

Miami Dade Community College changed their name to Miami Dade College for a reason. Miami Dade College President Eduardo J. Padrón and the board of Trustees knew in order to broaden the school’s reach a name change was in order. A minor detail yes, but the new name gives it more prestige.

FIU is missing out on millions of dollars not aligning themselves with the name Miami. I know some on these boards may dislike the name Miami; it's a name that makes money, real cheese, which cannot be debated, because it's true. Miami Heat sounds better than Florida Heat, Miami Dolphins sound better than Florida Dolphins, and Miami Marlins sound better than Florida Marlins. All three sport teams have excelled under the Miami banner, again, “why not us”.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am   
Cougar

Katar1 wrote:
Miami Marlins sound better than Florida Marlins. All three sport teams have excelled under the Miami banner

Triggered

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:54 am   
Golden Panther

You guys are sure wasting a lot of breath, although instead of "Worlds Ahead," I do think President Rosenberg might have adopted "The State University of Miami" as his tagline. Moving on to the the possible: How about a quarter-pound "Miami Dawg" at the stadium concession stand?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:24 am   
Golden Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
We get confused with FAU all the time by everyone outside of South Florida... and if that isn't enough of a reason to do a name change, or at least consider it, then what is? Do you like being confused with our primary rival all the time?

I believe we get confused with FAU due to the fact that phonetically, both FAU and FIU sound relatively similar.

In all seriousness though, this topic has been beaten to death and isn't worth discussing any longer. I've said this countless times but will say it again:

-We're FIU and will continue to be FIU.
-All schools in the State University System of Florida have "Florida" in their name.
-No schools that belong to the SUSF have a city name in it.

Some of you guys are basically asking for preferential treatment because we're in Miami, and I'm sorry to break this to you, that's not a good enough reason to sway any decision maker.

It also seems that a lot of you are forgetting why so many FIU graduates support UM's athletics, remember when they were the only college football team in town? Because that wasn't that long ago.

Our football team is 15 years old, give us time to plant our own seeds with our own FIU faithful, It's too early in our history to give up or demand things and changing our name will only get us back to square one.

I'm an FIU grad and I love FIU and so is my wife, guess whose son is already an FIU fan?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 am   
Golden Panther

Don't any of you guys eat hot dogs?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:51 pm   
Juvenile Panther

HooterHater wrote:
Any CUSA school mocking another about attendance is laudable. I watch a lot of CUSA football and all of the stadiums are mostly empty. The other night FAU's student section want much fuller than ours has been this season. I'm sure they have the same issue we do: A lot of their students were probably off celebrating Miami's win over Virginia as if they go to UM instead of FAU.

No they were not. FAU has a much less local student body most of my friends in school were all from Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville these students tend to be a little more connected to the school since they "went away from college''. Many of these students could have grown up UF, FSU fans, but they tend to be a little different type of college fan since of their experiences with those schools come from parents who went to their, so many of them understand the idea of ''my parents root for school A because they went their, so I will root for the school I go/went to.

I feel since so many FIU students grew up in South Florida they look at their families who root for UM despite never attending the school they see it as a just normal thing to be the typical bandwagon UM fan.

Thier is two major South Florida Radio hots who went to UF but are diehard UM fans.
Canes fans feel that since they grew up in Miami it makes them apart from the University.

Also, FAU student attendance has been great this year with a solid 2-3k every game and more a couple more.
Our stadium had a LEGIT 20k in it before it rained during the Shula Bowl.
Now I am not going to say we are blowing people away with attendance, but we are trending upward with you alumni buying season tickets and consistent student support.

Never have we had games with literally hundreds of people like you had this week with WKU.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 am   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
Katar1 wrote:
Miami Marlins sound better than Florida Marlins. All three sport teams have excelled under the Miami banner

Triggered

LOL, Marlins excelled?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 am   
Golden Panther

WE're FIU... we are not changing our name anytime soon. Get past this guys.

You want to stand out? Then, be a good football team. You know the name Boise State because of their history, not because Boise is a sexy city.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
WE're FIU... we are not changing our name anytime soon. Get past this guys.

You want to stand out? Then, be a good football team. You know the name Boise State because of their history, not because Boise is a sexy city.

What do you mean? Potatos are hot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 am   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
FAU Connoisseur wrote:
For you name changers (FIU's version of "Truthers"):

The State University of Unincorporated Dade County!! Now everyone knows where you are from mission accomplished!!

Truthers? Bad troll job, bro.

In all honesty... I would think the FAUers would want FIU to change their name. It would be to their benefit, if only for marketing.

Unfortunately for them... FAU is about a good a name as you can get. It's not like anyone knows where Boca is outside of South Florida. At least FIU has a much better option. Potentially.

Also... enjoy Kiffin while you've got him. I'm pretty sure it won't be for much longer.

Our name is fine, we don't have this silly discussion. If anyone doesn't know where we are they can google. I mean everyone has the internet in their pocket these days.

If your plan for success is "enjoy Kiffin while you got him" you may be losing a lot of games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 am   
Golden Panther

FAU Connoisseur wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
FAU Connoisseur wrote:

The State University of Unincorporated Dade County!! Now everyone knows where you are from mission accomplished!!

In all honesty... I would think the FAUers would want FIU to change their name. It would be to their benefit, if only for marketing.

Unfortunately for them... FAU is about a good a name as you can get. It's not like anyone knows where Boca is outside of South Florida. At least FIU has a much better option. Potentially.

Also... enjoy Kiffin while you've got him. I'm pretty sure it won't be for much longer.

Our name is fine, we don't have this silly discussion. If anyone doesn't know where we are they can google. I mean everyone has the internet in their pocket these days.

If your plan for success is "enjoy Kiffin while you got him" you may be losing a lot of games.

FIU's plan for success is to build the program with the athletes Butch recruits at the high school level rather than immediately plugging in a lot of JUCOs or transfers, as FAU has done. Clearly that worked well for FAU this season, but it is difficult to have sustained success through that method. I have no doubt FAU will continue to play well under Kiffin, however, FIU will continue to improve as Butch develops his guys, as he has repeatedly done in each program he has been at. There are already numerous signs this is happening, with multiple contributions from Freshman in the win over WKU. Provided FIU can find a QB after McGough, I would expect FIU to be every bit as good as FAU was this year, if not better, in a couple of seasons. I'm excited to see how both programs recruiting classes shake out this season. Both should be near the top of C-USA again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:18 am   
Golden Panther

FAU Connoisseur wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
FAU Connoisseur wrote:

You think Kiffin is staying a long time??? And you think FAU can keep this up with JUCO's? hahahaha, you delusional turd.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm   
Juvenile Panther

No didn't say Kiffin was staying long term, just longer than most people think. Get your facts straight, none of the JUCO's are really contributing. He's winning with Charlie's guys. Now back to "Lets Change the Name of Our University!"