It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:17 pm

New Class of 2018 commit: DeMarcus Townsend

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 am   
Golden Panther

DeMarcus Townsend, a 5'11/195 RB from Palmetto Ridge HS in Naples, FL has committed to FIU, as per his twitter page. Townsend, who had an early season-ending ACL injury this season, reportedly chose FIU after reportedly receiving offers at one time or another from Arkansas, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Michigan State, UCLA, Missouri, Baylor, USF, Purdue, Iowa State, Toledo, Southern Miss, and Appalachian State. In his only game this season he ran for 256 yards on 22 carries and 3 TD's.

Highlight film:

Another big get for Butch and his staff!

Welcome to FIU, DeMarcus!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 am   
Golden Panther

He's a great pick up as long as his injuries don't continue to burden him during his college career.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 am   
Golden Panther

Okay, this is an incredible pickup. DeMarcus is a freak athlete. According to ESPN, he put up the highest SPARQ score out of any RB in the country for the 2018 class. This includes a 4.40 40-yard dash, a 4.14 20-yard shuttle, and a 43.3 inch vertical jump. If he put up those numbers at the NFL combine he would have had the best scores in last year's draft class, hands down. In fact, they are so good, I'm skeptical of them, but his HUDL page shows they were verified (although his vertical was "only" 40.7 inches). The point is, the dude is a beast.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/208259/demarcus-townsend

His film shows this as well, with an incredible first step and great agility. I do question whether he has true breakaway speed, but his 40-yard dash times suggests he does. The main question with DeMarcus is how well he will come back from the injury. Considering he is still young and with today's familiarity (sadly) with torn ACL's, I think he should be fine. If we get the old DeMarcus (or maybe even better?) this dude will be a total stud for FIU. In fact, dare I say, his torn ACL was a blessing in disguise for the FIU program, as he was gathering a ton of P5 interest before the injury.

An interesting note is that DeMarcus is now the 2nd RB of the class (the other being Lawrence Papillon). Although we are losing A1, which is a huge loss, this team will be still be stacked at the RB position for the upcoming seasons (assuming we sign these guys).

Welcome to the Butch Davis Era of recruiting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:11 pm   
Puma

I think Maxwell is a senior too. That leaves us with:

Anthony Jones - Red shirt Junior
Shawn Phillips - Junior
D’vontae Price- Sophomore

I think we are solid at RB but adding 2 good ones can’t hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
I think Maxwell is a senior too. That leaves us with:

Anthony Jones - Red shirt Junior
Shawn Phillips - Junior
D’vontae Price- Sophomore

I think we are solid at RB but adding 2 good ones can’t hurt.

FIU's roster lists Maxwell as a junior this year:

http://www.fiusports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 pm   
Golden Panther

Here's an article on DeMarcus' impressive combine numbers:

http://archive.naplesnews.com/sports/high-school/football/prep-football-gulf-coasts-demarcus-townsend-wows-at-nike-regional-camp-2e52f72c-942e-59d2-e053-01000-372573591.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm   
Golden Panther

Maxwell is a junior, so if we get these two solid RB's, we will have a stacked set of RB's. Expect Townsend to be redshirted, while he fully recovers from his ACL injury, thus leaving Papillon as the only possible RB freshman to get some snaps. Maybe.

Awesome get for our program, and as Building stated, who knows if his injury made FIU even a better, or best, choice for him if it made the "bigger" schools lose some interest and focus on other RB's.

At any rate, let's hope his commitment sticks and that he fully recovers his redshirt year here at FIU.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:22 pm   
Puma

My mistake on Maxwell, seems like he has been at FIU for like 6 years haha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
An interesting note is that DeMarcus is now the 2nd RB of the class (the other being Lawrence Papillon). Although we are losing A1, which is a huge loss, this team will be still be stacked at the RB position for the upcoming seasons (assuming we sign these guys).

Welcome to the Butch Davis Era of recruiting.

I'd say we're very solid at running back. Not many teams can go 3 deep on their depth chart... Also, that's probably a good reason why we can offer a kid who's coming off an ACL. We can take the risk and there's no need to rush him on the field.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 pm   
Golden Panther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 pm   
Golden Panther

Keep loading up the team with Florida talent !!! Butch wants depth at every position

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:43 pm   
Golden Panther

Nice story on Townsend's commitment to FIU from Naples Daily News, by Katie Klann

https://amp.naplesnews.com/amp/875717001

Except:

Last week, Townsend rewarded FIU with a verbal commitment. On Thursday, the running back announced his intentions to play college football for the Panthers, a Division I-Football Bowl Subdivision team in Conference USA.

“They were the first ones to reach out to me after the injury,” Townsend said of FIU coaches. “They really just took the initiative to come get me. I love Coach Davis, and when I went on my visit, it felt like family.”

This summer, Townsend announced on Twitter that he had narrowed his college choice down to his top eight schools – Arkansas, Baylor, FIU, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Toledo and Virginia Tech. But with his knee injury, Townsend wasn’t clear on where he stood with some of those teams.

“I respect Coach Davis and how he’s turned the program around in his first year,” Townsend said. “I wanted to be a big part in that.”

Less than two months after surgery to repair his torn ACL, Townsend said his rehab is going well. He’s walking fine and started to do air squats – bending the knees to lower the body without added weight – to help get mobility back.

Townsend said he talked to FIU doctors, and they told him he could be ready to practice once two-a-day workouts begin in July.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:45 am   
Juvenile Panther

he should not rush back. with modern medicine, if he is patient, he could come back strong.
I like Devonte Price and this kid clearly appreciates Butch staying strong with him. He and price can be dangerous together.