It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 am

Post WKU Game Observations

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
I am writing this in a post game euphoria - thrilled to watch a game, that despite a couple of terrible potential game changing calls by the referees, did not stop FIU from pounding WKU. We may have played our best all around, complete game of the year. Some of my observations from the game:
1. There was a Stantley Thomas sighting - one catch for 4 yds! With T. Owens injured, all the other receivers picked up their game -particularly in the 2nd half.
2. P. McEver was finally a large part of the passing game - by design or necessity. He is literally a BIG part of the success we had in our passing game. A good trend...
3. S. Phillips gets better every game. He's a battering ram that can also be elusive. We are embarrassingly rich at the RB position.
4. The young guys on the DL got significant playing time and delivered some big plays. As long as the coaches continue to trust them and give them snaps, our defense as a whole will get even better and more consistent. These freshmen ARE Butch's recruits.
5. The fake extra point for a touchdown is the type of creativity I've never seen in the 14 yrs. we have had a team. It brought a huge smile to my face.
6. The special teams continue to be extremely special and the best in our history. S. Young is a kickoff beast, J. Borregales is unbelievably reliable and consistent and S. Wilson continued to boom punts - and threw a TD for good measure!
I'm sure I overlooked some other great things from the game. I am SO glad we get another chance at UMass next Sat. They beat us twice under the previous coach (who I will not name) and retribution will be sweet. Look forward to hearing from y'all. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:05 am   
Golden Panther

What's the update on T. Owens?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:00 pm   
Juvenile Panther

fiuphil wrote:
Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
I am writing this in a post game euphoria - thrilled to watch a game, that despite a couple of terrible potential game changing calls by the referees, did not stop FIU from pounding WKU. We may have played our best all around, complete game of the year. Some of my observations from the game:
1. There was a Stantley Thomas sighting - one catch for 4 yds! With T. Owens injured, all the other receivers picked up their game -particularly in the 2nd half.
2. P. McEver was finally a large part of the passing game - by design or necessity. He is literally a BIG part of the success we had in our passing game. A good trend...
3. S. Phillips gets better every game. He's a battering ram that can also be elusive. We are embarrassingly rich at the RB position.
4. The young guys on the DL got significant playing time and delivered some big plays. As long as the coaches continue to trust them and give them snaps, our defense as a whole will get even better and more consistent. These freshmen ARE Butch's recruits.
5. The fake extra point for a touchdown is the type of creativity I've never seen in the 14 yrs. we have had a team. It brought a huge smile to my face.
6. The special teams continue to be extremely special and the best in our history. S. Young is a kickoff beast, J. Borregales is unbelievably reliable and consistent and S. Wilson continued to boom punts - and threw a TD for good measure!
I'm sure I overlooked some other great things from the game. I am SO glad we get another chance at UMass next Sat. They beat us twice under the previous coach (who I will not name) and retribution will be sweet. Look forward to hearing from y'all. FIUPhil

Didn't watch the game but how do you get a touchdown off a fake extra point?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:26 pm   
Golden Panther

It was a fake field goal, they then shifted into to the wildcat with Wilson at qb and the kicker at wr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:37 pm   
Golden Panther

Amazing how this team lost to MTSU and ODU...

We should have gone 7-1 in conference play. Don't' get me wrong, 5-3 and Second in the EAST is Great!!

Lets get the WIN vs. UMass.
Follow up with a win at the BOWL game and we are looking at 9 wins in year one.

SO F'ING Awesome!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Hey Fellow Panther Fans,
Sorry about the "fake extra point" comment - I was distracted watching another game while typing. Indeed, it was a fake field goal attempt as it was pointed out by others. I have two additional observations about the game I overlooked.
1. It seemed to me that our secondary "jelled" in this game. I know we gave up 300 plus yards but they were mostly harmless and we did make a lot of defensive stops, even when they were throwing on 3rd down. The important part is that we only gave up 17 pts. to a fairly prolific offense. E. Lubin, R. Dames and A. Brown played a lot of snaps and played well together.
2. Some of our #2's stepped up big time. How about S. McGough playing center (well) when N. Mars went down and getting a chance to play with his big brother? D. Scott making a high point catch for a TD? Good to see...
Looking forward to the UMass and hopefully exacting our pound of flesh. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:12 am   
Golden Panther

On the other hand, Chia, thinking back to last year and considering we are using the same guys, basically, we could say "amazing" that this team has thumped Marshall, UTSA, and WKU. It is as Dr. Phil might say a tribute to the coaching staff that these seniors have had the chance to experience a winning season. Certainly, as a fan, it is a tonic to go to games fully expecting to see a team expend maximum effort and creativity in assignments and approach to how the game is played. It being college football and us not being the deepest team in the world, I cannot be absolutely certain how the tilt with the Massachusetts Minute Rice Men will go, but I do not think we are going to be outplayed in the way that we have by them the past two meetings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 am   
Golden Panther

I agree Chia, how did we lost to ODU and MTSU... then destroy WKU and Marhsall? Boggles the mind. I was at the ODU game. Just like FAU, their running game found our line holes and ran through us. Still, our team just didn't play our best. We need to beat UMAss and finish with 8 wins. Then, let's go bowling!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm   
Golden Panther

Because nagging injuries, exhaustion and where your mind is at are all important things in a football game.

Profile WWW ICQ YIM