It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 am

Bowl game updates

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:32 pm   
Golden Panther

Now that FIU has 7 wins, a bowl game seems essentially guaranteed at this point. With the regular season over for most teams, the bowls are starting to line up. It has been reported that UAB will play Ohio in the Bahamas Bowl:

So that leaves FIU most likely in either the Boca Bowl or the St. Pete Bowl. Thoughts? What would you guys prefer? I think it would be nice if FIU could play another AAC team.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:42 pm   
Puma

This is nothing against you at all.

But, I would prefer we do not worry about which bowl and I would prefer we take care of business against UMASS. Once we won the sixth game this board was flooding with bowl talk, and it seems the bowl mindset went into the minds of the players and that is when we lost to Old Dominion.

Beat UMASS then worry about which bowl.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:52 pm   
Golden Panther

Panthers2008 wrote:
This is nothing against you at all.

But, I would prefer we do not worry about which bowl and I would prefer we take care of business against UMASS. Once we won the sixth game this board was flooding with bowl talk, and it seems the bowl mindset went into the minds of the players and that is when we lost to Old Dominion.

Beat UMASS then worry about which bowl.

I am fan. We are fans. We aren't playing the game. I see zero harm in talking about bowl games.

I'm sure the team is focused against UMass and the last home game of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:21 pm   
Golden Panther

I'd love Boca or St. Pete. Especially St. Pete. Both are within easy travel distance for me.

Bahamas would be cool, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:00 pm   
Golden Panther

I am hoping for Phew vs. Temple in the Gasparilla Bowl. Who the heck wants to go pay money to sit in FAU's stadium?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am   
Golden Panther

I'll take the Boca Bowl. It's much harder for em to travel and I feel we will have way more fans show up to that bowl game. No excuse, it's right around the corner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:18 pm   
Golden Panther

For the first time in 3 years, there are more bowl eligible teams than spots available. That means 3 or more 6-6 teams will not be invited to a bowl game. WKU and MTSU are projected to possibly miss out on a bowl game even though they are both 6-6.

Good thing we have 7 wins. 8 wins will make me feel much better though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm   
Golden Panther

Very rare experience yesterday. A young woman wearing an FIU shirt came into the store I work at on Sundays. I said "Paws Up" and pointed to my FIU lanyard from which my badge hangs. Turns out she is a current student and was very excited that we were bowl eligible and pumped for the opportunity to attend a bowl game during her time as a student at FIU. Wish more students were like her.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm   
Golden Panther

I was at Disney parks Friday and Saturday. Wore my fiu sweatshirt and hat. I got a few people pointing out "hey, i went to FIU" and a couple yelled out "Go Panthers!". That was cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 pm   
Golden Panther

The only thing is about the Boca Bowl, you can bet that ZERO people from the area will attend (except for the guys laying out the burning paper sacks in our tailgating area). Temple will bring 267 people and we will have 1,735 (I hope I am wrong, but don't be too surprised if I am right).

When we went to the St. Pete Bowl, we had a couple thousand, Marshmallow had a couple thousand and a couple thousand showed up from the bay area. The way they had the baseball stadium laid out, it made it look like a few people were actually in attendance, plus there is a THERE there in St. Pete, as opposed to Boca Raton, which has several stores scattered around selling white shoes and white belts and salt and pepper toppers for the gents and not much else. Stuart is more of a town than Boca, which doesn't have a newspaper, a restaurant worth driving to...well, the list just goes on and on. They don't even have interesting crime. It is a short drive from Miami and a nice stadium, I will grant you that much. Come on, you knuckle-dragging trolls from white shoes land, tell me how off base I am.

I see that a couple of the bowl predictors have us in Boca and FAU in St. Pete, though. Hope they are wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:40 am   
Golden Panther

One of the things I always consider when planning a trip is how interesting my intended destination's crime is.
The Boca Town Center has excellent shopping and the local food selection is actually pretty good.
With the exception of those coming from Temple, if that's who we end up playing there, hypothetically, this is nothing more than a day trip, so I'm not so sure why shopping or restaurants matter. And having uninteresting crime is a plus for most tourists.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 am   
Golden Panther

Boca bowl is on a Tuesday. a week day. Most people work and that can easily take part in attendance. Hopefully we show up in force, after all its a bowl game and our third ever. If it's in Boca I will definitely go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Diagodog wrote:
The only thing is about the Boca Bowl, you can bet that ZERO people from the area will attend (except for the guys laying out the burning paper sacks in our tailgating area). Temple will bring 267 people and we will have 1,735 (I hope I am wrong, but don't be too surprised if I am right).

When we went to the St. Pete Bowl, we had a couple thousand, Marshmallow had a couple thousand and a couple thousand showed up from the bay area. The way they had the baseball stadium laid out, it made it look like a few people were actually in attendance, plus there is a THERE there in St. Pete, as opposed to Boca Raton, which has several stores scattered around selling white shoes and white belts and salt and pepper toppers for the gents and not much else. Stuart is more of a town than Boca, which doesn't have a newspaper, a restaurant worth driving to...well, the list just goes on and on. They don't even have interesting crime. It is a short drive from Miami and a nice stadium, I will grant you that much. Come on, you knuckle-dragging trolls from white shoes land, tell me how off base I am.

I see that a couple of the bowl predictors have us in Boca and FAU in St. Pete, though. Hope they are wrong.

The bowl actually has been supported pretty well in the community. I didn't think about the FIU effect on attendance, could be a concern. The bowl has had some good matchups. I already bought tickets for the bowl, and an FIU-Temple matchup is unappealing. The good news is that the guys making the projections haven't really shown they have any clue of how these bowls will be handed out.

Now, regarding your comments on Boca, I have no comment since it appears you have no knowledge of Boca. I will just say this when someone from up north is thinking about coming for a visit and they are presented Unincorporated Miami Dade County or Boca Raton I will let you figure out which one they choose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 pm   
Golden Panther

"Most people work and that can easily take part in attendance." ????

Not quite sure what that part means, Beisbol, but I do get the "show up in force" part and I have to say that I am fearful about that, even if Boca is indeed where we are assigned. You are hoping, I guess, that a bunch of fans who have not surfaced all year long are going to materialize out of nowhere and drive from Miami up to Boca Raton on a Tuesday night, facing a return home at midnight or so, with work looming the next day, and pay, I dunno, at a minimum two or three times what a ticket costs at Ricardo Montalban Stadium to watch us up against (so it appears) another trolley car campus team in Temple, who probably have a travelling fan base somewhere in the negative numbers. To top it off, and as I have already opined, I do not think that the rabid fan base of Boca Raton, long known for its support of college football, is going to turn out, not for FIU certainly, and probably not for the Temple Blinking Owls. Without papering the house, my top-end guesstimate of paid butts in the seats for FIU vs. Temple in the Boca Bowl would be 6,000. I hope I am dead wrong. And I am not saying that playing the game in St. Pete would produce greatly better numbers, but there would indeed be a few folks from that area to attend that game and I would enjoy an overnight in St. Pete. As I have noted before, there is no good reason to spend an overnight in Boca Raton, aside from automotive breakdown or police incarceration.

I hope the brass at FIU is already hard at work on leasing buses and a plan to pay for free tickets and a tailgate for FIU students should this Boca thing materialize, along with a plan to march them from the tailgate through an armed gauntlet into the stadium, handcuffs to be removed once they sit down in their seats.

Just some idle thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm   
Golden Panther

FAU Connoisseur wrote:
Now, regarding your comments on Boca, I have no comment since it appears you have no knowledge of Boca. I will just say this when someone from up north is thinking about coming for a visit and they are presented Unincorporated Miami Dade County or Boca Raton I will let you figure out which one they choose.

If you ask a retiree, they will choose Boca Del Vista Phase II (they are not gonna turn down the early bird specials). Anyone else, you will first have to explain what is a Boca Rotten.

I spent a few days in the heart of the city this past summer, did not hear anyone talk about FAU during the week I was there.