It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Bowl game updates

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 pm   
Golden Panther

Unfortunately there's way less enthusiasm the year than the year we went to Detroit. Looks like it will be st. Pete bowl. Bahamas, New Orleans, and boca are all taken.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 pm   
Golden Panther

I don't think the STUDENTS would attend this game if it were played in one of the dorm lobbies. I think we need to fire the student body.

It might be easier for some of the community to drive up to Boca, but it sounds like that train has left the station. I agree that we should be happy there is going to be a bowl game somewhere, and I will gladly go to St. Pete. If it is in Frisco, Texas, I will be watching from the comfort of my Barca Lounger, along with everyone else. Wild animals and gunslingers still roam the streets in Frisco and you have to take a buckboard the last 27 miles to get there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:44 pm   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
HooterHater wrote:
We can't get students to cross the street from housing and go to a free game. Who thinks they'll drive to St. Pete? Boca is our best option if we don't want to embarrass ourselves from an attendance standpoint on national television. Any out-of-state game will only be attended by the families of players and a few diehards.

Who cares about bowl game attendance? Be happy there is a bowl game. If people showed up to the Little Ceasar's bowl in DETROIT people will go to St Pete

Um, we should care if we want to get invited to better bowls in the coming years. You think a higher profile bowl in another state wants to invite a team whose fans wouldn't travel to a bowl game 45 miles away?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:56 pm   
Puma

I don't care if its "The Washington Redskins Go F*ck yourself Holiday Special" Bowl.

I just want to be paired up with a winnable and respectable team.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:06 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm so disappointed in this student body. I'm sure we have the worst student attendance in any fbs program. It's pathetic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:16 pm   
Cougar

FIU Beisbol wrote:
I'm so disappointed in this student body. I'm sure we have the worst student attendance in any fbs program. It's pathetic.

You didnt see the stanford-USC game then. Championship on the line. They had to tarp off areas

And to diagodog, youre right. Fsu vs southern miss. $$$$ that couldve been us

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:28 pm   
Puma

Brett McMurphy is reporting FIU to St. Pete Bowl against Temple. FAU will play Akron in Boca.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm   
Cougar

Lmao FAU fans must be pissed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:35 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU vs temple, sounds good to me. Go Panthers!!! St. Pete volume 2.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:05 pm   
Golden Panther

GoldenPantherFan wrote:
Brett McMurphy is reporting FIU to St. Pete Bowl against Temple. FAU will play Akron in Boca.

Hahahahaha ooooooyyy vey that would piss me off if I was an FAU fan.

But I'm love love loving the Temple matchup. My dad went there so I follow them a good little bit. They have some really good BIG receivers who may cause fits for our undersized secondary, but their O line has also been suspect. I trust Butch and Co. to put together a good game plan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 pm   
Golden Panther

This sounds like a good matchup and a real chance to win and go 9-4

From SBNation

Where is the Gasparilla Bowl, and how can I watch?
Stadium and city: Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fl.

Date and time: Dec. 21, 8 p.m. ET

TV and streaming: ESPN and WatchESPN

What should I know about the two teams in the Gasparilla Bowl?
FIU (7-4, 5-3 in Conference USA)
Butch Davis has the Panthers bowling in his first season at the helm, snapping a five-year bowl-less streak since 2011. Davis hadn’t coached since leaving North Carolina in 2010, and he hadn’t coached in South Florida since his days leading Miami at the turn of the millennium. But his transition’s clearly been smooth, and FIU looks dangerous for the first time in a while.

The Panthers’ calling card is defense. They’re better than most Group of 5 teams at keeping points off the board, and that makes them competitive against most opposition. For more, check at SB Nation’s Underdog Dynasty, which covers FIU’s Conference USA.

Temple (6-6, 4-4 in AAC)
Last year’s AAC champs fell off considerably in 2017, but they showed some resolve to get back to a bowl for the third year in a row. Temple never had a winning or losing streak longer than two games, and the Owls blew out a surprisingly bad Tulsa team in Week 13 to secure a postseason spot. They’ll try for a better result after taking losses the last two seasons at the Boca Raton and Military Bowls.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ing-online

That FAU bowl match-up is sad. They are really strong and should be playing in a better bowl and / or at least a better opponent. With that running game they can beat some weaker P5 teams.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm   
Golden Panther

Now I don't have to buy a t-shirt that says "Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl" on it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 am   
Golden Panther

Yay. We are playing a non-MAC team in an actual interesting place, a game well worth taking a vacation day or two for. It really is a shame that FAU has to settle for 'Kron, but it also points up what I have been saying about CUSA. What does it portend when the conference champ goes 10-3, has a high-powered offense and a marquee name at coach, and has to settle for a 7-6 MAC opponent at a bowl in their home town?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 am   
Golden Panther

Akron is a 7-6 team. They won their division, but it's a pretty weak division. Yah, FAU should trounce this team. My score prediction is FAU 52 AKron 24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:32 am   
Golden Panther

I'm happy we are playing Temple... maybe this can be a "try out" for future AAC expansion.

AAC only has 12 football teams (and Wichita State, a basketball powerhouse).

I think the only thing holding back our team from future AAC expansion is our pathetic fan base. (I'm preaching to the choir of course).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next