It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Bowl game updates

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am   
Golden Panther

I do think we would get more casual fans if we were playing AAC teams on a regular basis. But the admin has to do other things to try to lure a fan base. In addition to the no brainers I have already mentioned, things like fireworks displays, after game concerts, season long raffles for something like a car or a boat if you have been to all the games, all that is going to help. There have to be reasons for people to go to the games beyond the games. And you have to spend money to make money.

Along these lines, I sure as heck hope that the school is going to throw some sort of tailgate party for everyone who treks up to St. Pete. I mean, how much can beer and wings cost for 250 people? And despite my ire at the STUDENT BODY, I hope they have plans to transport the first 500 or so who sign up for free or some such. This game is going to be broadcast nationwide and how many times will the camera people be happy to pan over a rowdy, face painted mob. I think our students should be encouraged to go in beach wear, bounce beach balls with logos on them (they can easily be smuggled in), and otherwise point out the fact that we live in paradise, while our opponents have fled ice and snow. If Pete and his minions are not working on something like this, I don't know what.

By the way, has anyone mentioned the BAND anywhere on this blog? They have been absolutely outstanding this year. I for one, wait religiously to go get my hot dog (such as it is) until that show is over. This is opposed to years past, when the band has been basically pathetic. Little things CAN be accomplished, clearly, and they will help make a difference. Do enough of them for long enough and perhaps that touchy-feely "culture" will change.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 am   
Golden Panther

I agree again! FIU needs to make changes to draw in the crowds!

I hope the student body takes notice and the culture changes soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I was there in St. Pete the last time we went to that bowl game against Marshall. I recall the school provided multiple coach buses to transport students for free. I got there the day before and quickly realized that Marshall fans were all over but barely any FIU fans. Gameday, I was tailgating with some buddies and it felt good seeing a bunch of buses pull up and unload FIU students who quickly posted up and began tailgating. The school did have a dedicated tailgate section for Alumni which I happened to walk into .... free beer and free food. Some students I still talk to have already began complaining about the price, so I hope FIU does something for the student body.

On another note, I think that beach idea would be awesome. Having everybody dress up like they are at the beach would draw some positive attention ... might be appealing to recruits too. Some one should bring that up to athletics department maybe get Greek life to push it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 pm   
Cougar

The beach idea is amazing! Any current students on this board? Or anyone in AD?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU is going to have to have buses and incentives for students to show up.

Students already skip regular season games which include free entry and giveaways, including free food. Our students suck....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:18 pm   
Golden Panther

polar2 wrote:
I was there in St. Pete the last time we went to that bowl game against Marshall. I recall the school provided multiple coach buses to transport students for free. I got there the day before and quickly realized that Marshall fans were all over but barely any FIU fans. Gameday, I was tailgating with some buddies and it felt good seeing a bunch of buses pull up and unload FIU students who quickly posted up and began tailgating. The school did have a dedicated tailgate section for Alumni which I happened to walk into .... free beer and free food. Some students I still talk to have already began complaining about the price, so I hope FIU does something for the student body.

On another note, I think that beach idea would be awesome. Having everybody dress up like they are at the beach would draw some positive attention ... might be appealing to recruits too. Some one should bring that up to athletics department maybe get Greek life to push it.

Students have no business complaining about ticket costs when they were offered free tickets just for showing up to the UMass game. I'm so tired of complaining about the lack of student support. I hope the university does nothing to offset costs for them and instead rewards season ticket holders and dedicated fans who've displayed loyalty to athletics, win or lose.
After seeing Saturday's student turnout with all the incentives they were given to show up, I say F! the student body.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm   
Golden Panther

Agree with the beach idea, Greek life would have to take point on this as the students clearly will not do anything adults ask lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm   
Golden Panther

Unfortunately greek life is almost dead at FIU. They have no presence at regular season games. Greek life has a bad working relationship with FIU right now as I've heard it. Many fraternities on suspension and such. Greek life is what really propels the student section at games (or used to).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm   
Juvenile Panther

HooterHater wrote:
Students have no business complaining about ticket costs when they were offered free tickets just for showing up to the UMass game. I'm so tired of complaining about the lack of student support. I hope the university does nothing to offset costs for them and instead rewards season ticket holders and dedicated fans who've displayed loyalty to athletics, win or lose.
After seeing Saturday's student turnout with all the incentives they were given to show up, I say F! the student body.

Yeah I hear you on that but let's be honest if students don't show up when it's free why would we expect them to pay the advertised $40-80 for a bowl game. At the end of the day, I think FIU will get many in for free as last time. They should take care of the true fan, no doubt about that. I'm hoping to fly in from KC and see a bunch of fans, maybe bunch into a couple of you guys.

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Unfortunately greek life is almost dead at FIU. They have no presence at regular season games. Greek life has a bad working relationship with FIU right now as I've heard it. Many fraternities on suspension and such. Greek life is what really propels the student section at games (or used to).

Yeah I have recently heard the same thing, they may re-evaluate Greek life at FIU. You're right Greek life had a descent amount of influence on students going into the games when I was there too. Hope things turn around by next season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm   
Cougar

https://mobile.twitter.com/nmsugoaggies ... 0921624576

No bowl game in more than half a century, but still draws a decent turnout. Maybe its our lack of history? Maybe its a miami thing? Idk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 am   
Golden Panther

New Mexico State is located in Las Cruces, New Mexico, about 40 miles west of El Paso and 250 south of Albuquerque, in the high desert, in an economically so-so region where the population is around 60% Mexican-American and not particularly amped up about football like the rest of Texas (sound familiar?). However, the Aggies are to the residents there as the Canes are to Miamians, or even more so. Same with the Miners in El Paso. It doesn't matter that neither team is very good very often. On Saturday nights, going to the college game is the only big thing to do. The Sun Bowl is always filled up, not by the traveling teams so much as by the locals, because it is ALWAYS the biggest thing of the year to happen in those parts. We cannot hope to replicate that "culture." But given that there are 10 times as many people in this metro area, maybe, just maybe, we can little by little entice 15,000 to 20,000 people into our stands, IF we give them an experience worth returning to. (See previous posts by Beisbol, Clawing Cancer, and yours truly.) A bunch of you guys keep coming on here whining that people OUGHT to go our games. What part of reality is it that you do not get? Do you think that if you bitch and moan for long enough that the students and the alums will actually read your posts, come to their senses, and come to the games clutching rosary beads and begging for penance? It would be far more practical for you to think about things that might practically be done to upgrade the experience of going to an FIU football game in South Sweetwater, and then to sit down and write a reasoned letter to a) Butch Davis b) the new AD c) President Rosenberg suggesting why you think those things might increase attendance. Just my opinion. Of course I grew up with a mother whose idea of proactive behavior was to have a few shots and vent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am   
Cougar

Diagodog wrote:
IF we give them an experience worth returning to. (See previous posts by Beisbol, Clawing Cancer, and yours truly.) A bunch of you guys keep coming on here whining that people OUGHT to go our games. What part of reality is it that you do not get? Do you think that if you bitch and moan for long enough that the students and the alums will actually read your posts, come to their senses, and come to the games clutching rosary beads and begging for penance?

Lmao! I asked this already, but is there anyone on here that knows/works with the AD? I always feel like we are yelling into the void on here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:56 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
New Mexico State is located in Las Cruces, New Mexico, about 40 miles west of El Paso and 250 south of Albuquerque, in the high desert, in an economically so-so region where the population is around 60% Mexican-American and not particularly amped up about football like the rest of Texas (sound familiar?). However, the Aggies are to the residents there as the Canes are to Miamians, or even more so. Same with the Miners in El Paso. It doesn't matter that neither team is very good very often. On Saturday nights, going to the college game is the only big thing to do. The Sun Bowl is always filled up, not by the traveling teams so much as by the locals, because it is ALWAYS the biggest thing of the year to happen in those parts. We cannot hope to replicate that "culture." But given that there are 10 times as many people in this metro area, maybe, just maybe, we can little by little entice 15,000 to 20,000 people into our stands, IF we give them an experience worth returning to. (See previous posts by Beisbol, Clawing Cancer, and yours truly.) A bunch of you guys keep coming on here whining that people OUGHT to go our games. What part of reality is it that you do not get? Do you think that if you bitch and moan for long enough that the students and the alums will actually read your posts, come to their senses, and come to the games clutching rosary beads and begging for penance? It would be far more practical for you to think about things that might practically be done to upgrade the experience of going to an FIU football game in South Sweetwater, and then to sit down and write a reasoned letter to a) Butch Davis b) the new AD c) President Rosenberg suggesting why you think those things might increase attendance. Just my opinion. Of course I grew up with a mother whose idea of proactive behavior was to have a few shots and vent.

Hey, i'm just venting... isn't that what the internet is for? That and cat memes... right?

Anyway, like I said, I'm pissed and venting. I invite friends and family and where my FIU gear proudly, but I don't get paid to get students in seats. That's someone elses job. And they're not doing a good job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 am   
Golden Panther

Well, maybe "the people", if any, who are literally paid to work to get students into the stands, don't have very good ideas because the position is underpaid and draws a less than top-notch candidate. Now, we could piss and moan that the FIU "culture" needs to be changed, or we could write reasoned letters to various individuals in the chain of command suggesting things we think might help get students in stands. One thing I think could be done between now and next year would be to convince some professor in the Psychology Department to assign a project to survey dorm residents ando other students regarding their interest in football and attending games. Perhaps some hard data could be compiled and a cost analysis performed as to what might be worth trying to get some of the STUDENT BODY into the games. Of course I already think that scantily clad coeds cavorting in hot tubs in the West End zone would be a slam dunk, but perhaps the data will prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 am   
Golden Panther

Rutgers did a couple of hot tubs for their season opener, see stands in the background. Attendance is a hard problem to solve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next