It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:07 am

Should FIU leave CUSA and go independent?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 am   
Cougar

Clawing Cancer wrote:
SP1029 wrote:
So undefeated UCF comes in at #14 in the playoffs ranking. Again, what is the AAC doing for that program..if your mission as a program is just to get to a decent bowl game, then cool stay in the G5.

If it's to blaze your own path, and win A national title, get out. You're wasting your time.

And if that's happening to UCF now... imagine an undefeated FIU in CUSA. We might get shafted for a 1-loss American team. Or Mountain West. Or even MAC. Seriously.

Now imagine an undefeated FIU as an independent... beating at least 3 or 4 P5 schools along the way... if not more.

Which one has the better argument for getting into the playoff? Or an Access bowl berth, at least?

Also... if FIU can do well as an independent... would that not also be more attractive to the American if they need a team in the future? Or maybe even the Big 12? Can FIU hope to get something similar if it does well in CUSA?

I suspect the answer is no, short of UCF and USF leaving for whatever reason, and only because the American would want a Florida school. In that scenario, they probably take FAU, too.

It's shocking to me how the big 12 doesn't have a team from Florida. South Florida is a big TV market and so is central Florida. They're stupid for not inviting UCF or USF to Join. I wish we were good cause it would make the most sense having a team from Miami in the big 12.

Imagine OU and Texas coming here. The cage would be packed no doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 am   
Golden Panther

Your points are unassailable, CC. I suspect the administration's "plan," such as it is, is to succeed within CUSA and hope that travel/geographic/some vague unknown factors gradually force a situation where we can sneak into a rejiggered AAC (which poached away the most desirable CUSA members pertinent to this discussion the year before we joined). This of course is no plan at all, because it is basically a passive stance with no timeline attached. The real opposition to the notion of going indy is fear of the detrimental effects on the other sports, but take a look at who plays in the CUSA soccer league. We can find a place for those other athletes to compete. And what is to fear, exactly? Attendance in that stadium really could not get much worse, and I doubt that even if it were we hosting the conference championship game against NTSU this weekend that there would be more than 10K in the stands. It will be interesting to see how the Lane Train draws on Saturday.

Imagine a bold FIU stance that truly embodies the notion "Why Not Us." Strike out boldly, attract attention and see what happens. What is the worst outcome? Slink back into the Sun Belt in a few years? We'd be no worse off in terms of attendance.

Of course no one cares what those of us on this board think, so I am pinning my hopes on the prospect of a new AD actually happening, and a letter writing campaign to that person and the president and to Butch Davis having some impact on taking a proactive stance to getting people in the stands that goes beyond wrapping some pathetic slogan around county buses.

At the very least, get 2 P-5 schools (and a diversionary doormat like FAMU) in the stadium every year and completely re-do the concessions, bathrooms, concourses etc to get the stink of high school out of the joint once and for all. If the notion of a Clevelander porch in the West End zone offends some of you, then stay home--there will be plenty of people taking your place. As so many of you Naybobs keep saying, we are Miami, so why don't we start acting like it? Is anyone going to tell me that the turnover chain exudes class and good taste?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:02 pm   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
SP1029 wrote:
So undefeated UCF comes in at #14 in the playoffs ranking. Again, what is the AAC doing for that program..if your mission as a program is just to get to a decent bowl game, then cool stay in the G5.

If it's to blaze your own path, and win A national title, get out. You're wasting your time.

And if that's happening to UCF now... imagine an undefeated FIU in CUSA. We might get shafted for a 1-loss American team. Or Mountain West. Or even MAC. Seriously.

Now imagine an undefeated FIU as an independent... beating at least 3 or 4 P5 schools along the way... if not more.

Which one has the better argument for getting into the playoff? Or an Access bowl berth, at least?

Also... if FIU can do well as an independent... would that not also be more attractive to the American if they need a team in the future? Or maybe even the Big 12? Can FIU hope to get something similar if it does well in CUSA?

I suspect the answer is no, short of UCF and USF leaving for whatever reason, and only because the American would want a Florida school. In that scenario, they probably take FAU, too.

It's shocking to me how the big 12 doesn't have a team from Florida. South Florida is a big TV market and so is central Florida. They're stupid for not inviting UCF or USF to Join. I wish we were good cause it would make the most sense having a team from Miami in the big 12.

Imagine OU and Texas coming here. The cage would be packed no doubt.

Guys... FIU is no where near ready to start beating P5 conference teams. If we do, they will be the terrible ones (Syracuse, Kansas, Illinois, Oregon State, etc.) And wins against those teams will not raise our stock. If we go independent now, depending who we play, we might go 6-6, between p,laying a few P5 schools, Sub bowl division schools, and MAC/C-USA/Sunbelt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:01 am   
Cougar

FIUbeisbol, I rather beat those teams you mentioned than wku, charlotte, UT El Paso and San Antonio..who the hell is north Texas? Are you really listening to youserlf.

Beat a Syracuse would be awesome, they best the defending champs last year and are very well known.

I'm not saying it's the right move now but let's say we win conference USA with next year or the one after, hell maybe both. We should use that momentum and ride the fuk out.

We're panthers right? No reason not to blaze our own trail.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:23 am   
Golden Panther

That is the spirit, SP. Sometimes I think people are just typing words on here to hear the sound of their own keystrokes. "Won't raise our stock to beat Syracuse." Holy Jesus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 am   
Cougar

If independent was the way to go, why isnt UMASS playing those teams consistently? Yeah they have the vols and MS, but the rest is G5.
And you think people give a crap about syracuse? I live in NY and no one here cares about them. Theyre a laughing stock that got lucky against Clemson in a classic trap game. If we beat syracuse it wont be panthers on the rise its "lol syracuse is garbage".

We have one winning season and everyone wants to shake it up. Just win games

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 am   
Golden Panther

Play better known teams, more people come to the games. Period.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am   
Cougar

We can do that in CUSA. If anything, this should be the thousandth fire pete garcia thread

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 am   
Golden Panther

Anyone happen to know what the non-conference schedule for next year is, so far?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Anyone happen to know what the non-conference schedule for next year is, so far?

This site, which usually is fairly accurate, has FIU hosting Indiana and UMass, while traveling to Miami.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-fiu-golden-panthers-football-schedule.php

If I had to guess, the final out of conference game would be an FCS team. However, since UMass was moved up to this season, I'm not sure if that takes the place of the 2018 or 2019 schedule home game. Also, I'm not sure how the Indiana cancellation affects the future schedule. Furthermore, I've seen in multiple places the 2018 Miami game has been rescheduled to 2019. So in conclusion, I have no idea!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:46 pm   
Golden Panther

Walter Vila reported this in the Herald last November (2016):

The Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers have agreed to push back their two scheduled football games.

As it stands, FIU will visit Miami at Hard Rock Stadium in 2019; the Hurricanes will then travel a few miles west to visit FIU in 2021.

The two teams had originally scheduled games in 2018-19.

The games were switched because Miami needed a home game in 2019. The second game was moved back because Miami did not have availability on its 2020 schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm   
Golden Panther

U Mass lost a scheduled away game with USF due to the hurricane, so logic suggests that this year's add on with us would not affect the already scheduled game for 2018. Same regarding Indiana (season opener, boys), as it seems their 2018 schedule is pretty much set, and they simply plugged in Georgia or Charleston Southern for us this year--little doubt that we will play Indiana somewhere as they surely see us as their gimmee, along with Ball State. So if indeed the Miami game has slid to 2019, we would have two ooc openings 1n 2018: a home doormat and a replacement for the Miami away game. I nominate 1) the FAMU Band and 2) Pete's replacement managing either a payday away game or finagling an extra home game with an opponent that any contestant on College Jeopardy could identity as an institution of higher learning. #2 may not be so easy on short notice, but I suspect negotiations have been ongoing since the Miami schedule was changed a year ago. I just hope they are not talking to schools with "Tractor" in their names.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
U Mass lost a scheduled away game with USF due to the hurricane, so logic suggests that this year's add on with us would not affect the already scheduled game for 2018. Same regarding Indiana (season opener, boys), as it seems their 2018 schedule is pretty much set, and they simply plugged in Georgia or Charleston Southern for us this year--little doubt that we will play Indiana somewhere as they surely see us as their gimmee, along with Ball State. So if indeed the Miami game has slid to 2019, we would have two ooc openings 1n 2018: a home doormat and a replacement for the Miami away game. I nominate 1) the FAMU Band and 2) Pete's replacement managing either a payday away game or finagling an extra home game with an opponent that any contestant on College Jeopardy could identity as an institution of higher learning. #2 may not be so easy on short notice, but I suspect negotiations have been ongoing since the Miami schedule was changed a year ago. I just hope they are not talking to schools with "Tractor" in their names.

I briefly looked through multiple teams and had a hard time finding anyone with an open date. Houston still has an open spot, but I'm guessing they will probably fill it with an FCS team.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:56 pm   
Golden Panther

Interesting, Dynasty. Wonder what Pete has been up to along these lines, if anything?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:56 am   
Cougar

weekend_warrior wrote:
If independent was the way to go, why isnt UMASS playing those teams consistently? Yeah they have the vols and MS, but the rest is G5.
And you think people give a crap about syracuse? I live in NY and no one here cares about them. Theyre a laughing stock that got lucky against Clemson in a classic trap game. If we beat syracuse it wont be panthers on the rise its "lol syracuse is garbage".

We have one winning season and everyone wants to shake it up. Just win games

For the reasons that have been already stated like 5 times. FIU is in Miami and it would give an opportunity for those teams to come down here and establish a presence in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in America. And again because we're in Miami and not central Massachusetts lol.

A blessing ignored is a bad omen