It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:04 pm

GAME DAY: UMASS @ FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:48 pm   
Golden Panther

More people will come next year, he said, hopefully. It was about the same as last week, attendance-wise. But McGough was insane. He must have accounted for at least 400 yards of offense and his mom was in the stands, watching his little brother snap it to him. How cool is that? My favorite play of the game was watching Jacob Kraut take a flare pass and crush two 180 lb DB's from U Mass. He wasn't trying to get a couple of extra yards, he was trying to knock someone up into the fifth row. Now THAT is what I'm talking about. Singleton awesome (hey a South Carolina kid showing up the 305?), defense touched their QB exactly once: one sack, maybe two hurries, but still a great day in the cage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:13 pm   
Golden Panther

Great show of offense by FIU. Really fun game to see in person. McGough looked great. Sat right next to his family today. Defense did well but struggled at times, hence the 48 points. Our WR's had a good game, some great catches.

Attendance really bothered me. We were 7-4 coming in and bowl eligible, you'd think we would have more fans, especially students. Student section was empty! Maybe 24 kids in that section. I'm guessing many of them moved over to the sidelines, but still, it's pathetic. I swear we had more fans at games last season, and we were terrible over all.

I'm guessing UM being good has something to do with it. Fans are fickle and will jump the train.

Oh well. I was there, I brought friends and family, I did my part.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:12 am   
Cougar

Not to make an attendance thread AGAIN, but look at FSU vs ULM today. Almost empty house. Also, arent finals coming up?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:27 am   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 am   
Golden Panther

I figured attendance would be crummy. Maybe we should rent a plane for next game: "Fire the Student Body." I did not get a chance to tune in, since my thrilled butt was in the seats at Ricardo Montalban stadium, but I see that FAU's announced crowd for the CUSA championship was 14,000 and change. I suspect their stadium actually looked like ours did, where the announced crowd was 14,004. Ha. It was a lot closer to the 4 part than the 14,000 part out in South Sweetwater. So FAU set a school record for wins, have a darling coach, a very good QB, an outstanding receiver, and the best running back this side of the P-5 schools, and they get well under half of the seats filled while playing for the Conference title against...North Texas State Tractor Pulling University. FIU and FAU in truth do not belong in CUSA. It has nothing to do with winning or losing. Maybe the AAC could be persuaded to expand to 14 teams.

Can you guys imagine if David Neal were still sniffing the seats filled for the Herald? We'd hear no end of scandal, coverup, and on and on. I mean he was going nuts when we were getting crowds of twice the size of this year's. I hate to sound this down note, because I am way more interested in finding out where we are going bowling right now, but in all honesty, I don't see how this maybe 5,000 bodies in the stadium thing can go on. I know one thing, yelling at the students for not showing up is going to have ZERO effect. Their parents yell at them for a million important things and that has zero effect as well. They flat do not give a crap about FIU football, at least right now, and I would say the jury is out as to whether or not there are 20,000 people in South Florida or do, either. We will see if having our own darling coach and a much improved team will change things in year 2 and 3, but, looking at what is going on up in fabulous downtown Boca, I think that unless massive practical changes are implemented (please let's not bring up "changing the culture"), a BIG crowd for us is going to be 9-10 K. Schedule some teams a few people have heard of. Put a Clevelander in the West End Zone. Put marble and flat screen TV's in the bathrooms. Clear out the high school concession stands and get Keg South or a clone in there. If we can't afford a skin for the stadium, at least landscape the premises. Put some kind of a scoreboard up in the West End zone--it looks like a public housing project with those bare girders and dangling cables. None of this requires big money but it does require taking it all seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 am   
Cougar

^agreed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I figured attendance would be crummy. Maybe we should rent a plane for next game: "Fire the Student Body." I did not get a chance to tune in, since my thrilled butt was in the seats at Ricardo Montalban stadium, but I see that FAU's announced crowd for the CUSA championship was 14,000 and change. I suspect their stadium actually looked like ours did, where the announced crowd was 14,004. Ha. It was a lot closer to the 4 part than the 14,000 part out in South Sweetwater. So FAU set a school record for wins, have a darling coach, a very good QB, an outstanding receiver, and the best running back this side of the P-5 schools, and they get well under half of the seats filled while playing for the Conference title against...North Texas State Tractor Pulling University. FIU and FAU in truth do not belong in CUSA. It has nothing to do with winning or losing. Maybe the AAC could be persuaded to expand to 14 teams.

Can you guys imagine if David Neal were still sniffing the seats filled for the Herald? We'd hear no end of scandal, coverup, and on and on. I mean he was going nuts when we were getting crowds of twice the size of this year's. I hate to sound this down note, because I am way more interested in finding out where we are going bowling right now, but in all honesty, I don't see how this maybe 5,000 bodies in the stadium thing can go on. I know one thing, yelling at the students for not showing up is going to have ZERO effect. Their parents yell at them for a million important things and that has zero effect as well. They flat do not give a crap about FIU football, at least right now, and I would say the jury is out as to whether or not there are 20,000 people in South Florida or do, either. We will see if having our own darling coach and a much improved team will change things in year 2 and 3, but, looking at what is going on up in fabulous downtown Boca, I think that unless massive practical changes are implemented (please let's not bring up "changing the culture"), a BIG crowd for us is going to be 9-10 K. Schedule some teams a few people have heard of. Put a Clevelander in the West End Zone. Put marble and flat screen TV's in the bathrooms. Clear out the high school concession stands and get Keg South or a clone in there. If we can't afford a skin for the stadium, at least landscape the premises. Put some kind of a scoreboard up in the West End zone--it looks like a public housing project with those bare girders and dangling cables. None of this requires big money but it does require taking it all seriously.

I agree 100% with all of this!

I truly thought that if FIU football were good, the fans would show up. I thought the students would show up. But, no. We tie our best regular season ever and still, this is the most empty I've ever seen our stadium over a full season. When I was a student not long ago our student body completely filled the student section, and some of those years we were well below .500.

I don't see how FIU can continue having a program of this size without support. It's very sad. I really did think fans would show up if we won. Maybe next season. If we win a bowl game and next season we can use the hype. If next season we can win another 8+ games next season, maybe they will show up.

Maybe... just maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:44 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Can you guys imagine if David Neal were still sniffing the seats filled for the Herald? We'd hear no end of scandal, coverup, and on and on. I mean he was going nuts when we were getting crowds of twice the size of this year's.

DJN has been to FIU games this year, think he was at the last game as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:48 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I think that unless massive practical changes are implemented (please let's not bring up "changing the culture"), a BIG crowd for us is going to be 9-10 K. Schedule some teams a few people have heard of. Put a Clevelander in the West End Zone. Put marble and flat screen TV's in the bathrooms. Clear out the high school concession stands and get Keg South or a clone in there. If we can't afford a skin for the stadium, at least landscape the premises. Put some kind of a scoreboard up in the West End zone--it looks like a public housing project with those bare girders and dangling cables. None of this requires big money but it does require taking it all seriously.

I think you are right about the need for a major upgrade in fan experience to get bodies in the stadium. A bar garden would help and some kind of cool kids zone, make the kids want to come and the parents will have less reasons not to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:13 pm   
Golden Panther

Can we please get a real freakin canon?!?!??!

That was so embarrassing on Saturday yelling "boom!" every time we scored... what the heck?

How do we not have a canon?

We can also have light fireworks after night games. Why not have a nice bar area on the deck in front of the coaches offices in the endzone.

Why do we not fly our sunbelt conference championship flag anymore next to old Glory and the state flag? Looks weird having that empty flag pole. Howe about a second small scoreboard where there is none anymore in the west end zone. These are all little things that will go a long way.

Last edited by FIU Beisbol on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm   
Puma

We have a cannon, it was there for every other game except UMass, don't know what happened to it or why someone thought a "Human Cannon" would be better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:47 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
We have a cannon, it was there for every other game except UMass, don't know what happened to it or why someone thought a "Human Cannon" would be better.

Wow, we could have really used a canon on Saturday with 9 touchdowns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm   
Puma

i felt bad for the guys doing push ups, though i left at the end of the 3rd quarter so didnt get to see them do 63 . lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 am   
Golden Panther

The push up crew did 315 pushups... in the sun... props to them