It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:55 pm

"C-USA proves it's a failing model"

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:59 pm   
Cougar

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college ... 05609.html

Saw this on twitter. It isn't just us with attendance issues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 pm   
Golden Panther

You guys think I was just making s*** up?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 pm   
Golden Panther

I don't know what the solution is. Absorb Sun Belt, form an east and west division of nine teams each, have teams play only within their division during regular season and only travel to the other division for a championship game?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:59 am   
Golden Panther

This is precisely what I was talking about earlier in the thread about FIU pursuing independence.

CUSA has taken a major hit prestige-wise. Mainly because the TV dollars have dried up and there's no one in the conference who's a desirable for TV anymore. Add to that waning fan interest (which this article shows well) and the financial model starts to make no sense.

FAU drew 14,000 or so (and that's generous) to the CUSA title game it was hosting. Anyone here think FIU can do better than that should it host the CUSA title game? I can't see that short of two undefeated teams squaring off... and even then, I'd call it a toss-up.

Unless this trend reverses itself in a big way and quickly, CUSA as we know it is eventually going to go down the tubes. Probably the Sun Belt, too. They're in a similar position.

So... what's the solution? I think there's 2, potentially.

1) Independence (football) / Atlantic Sun (every other sport)

PROS:

- As cheap of a travel league as you can find in D1, especially for FIU. Half of your conference opponents are in Florida (FGCU, Stetson, UNF and Jacksonville). All of them are bus trips for every sport. And FIU has at least some history with all those schools. (It'd be a lot better if you can talk FAU into coming along... and it probably makes as much sense for them to consider this plan as it does for FIU.)

- Easier paths to a conference title for all the other sports... especially hoops, soccer, baseball and softball. Frankly, that's a conference FIU should dominate in all those sports (unless FAU joins). CUSA's a 1-bid league in hoops right now, so might as well take the easier path to the Big Dance. Baseball and softball's postseason chances hurt for sure as an at-large, but FIU's probably not going to be an at-large team anyway.

- The freedom to build a football schedule with teams the casual fans want to see. (Assuming you can get them to come... but FIU has some built in advantages there. I don't think it'll be nearly as hard as some of you think.)

- Saving a ton in travel costs across the board for all sports.

CONS:

- Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, NJIT and USC Upstate. That's definitely a bag of yuck. But only one of those is a definite plane ride.

- Most non-diehard fans won't know or care about the A-Sun... but you have that problem now with the CUSA or Sun Belt schools. At least this way you're only playing a few no-names instead of a bunch.

- You lose the TV money, but that's probably off-set by the drop in travel costs. And a money game or two in football probably more than makes up the difference.

- Attendance goes down for sure... but it's already pretty much at the floor now, so what does it matter? If football starts doing well, maybe you see a trickle effect across the board.

- Conference prestige takes a hit... but CUSA isn't the name it used to be and FIU can make up for that if it dominates the A-Sun and makes noise in the postseason. People know FGCU from its March Madness wins, after all.

2) A more geographically sensible CUSA/Sun Belt.

If the powers that be at FIU insist on being in a football conference, I think they have to pursue the idea of a 10-team league with as many football schools as it can find who are relatively close to Miami. The trick is... who?

We know USF and UCF are not realistic options... so here's who I'd say are definite locks.

FAU: Duh.
Georgia State: Prior A-Sun history. They're basically the FIU of Atlanta.
Georgia Southern: Small town but serious football history and they're relatively close.

Beyond that, it gets tricky. Do you want to go west or north? I think Alabama makes sense, so...

South Alabama: Prior Sun Belt history. Pretty good in baseball historically. Mobile is fairly metro for Alabama.
Troy: Prior Sun Belt history. Small town. I could take them or leave them, but they probably make sense in this model.
UAB: I don't think they'd like this conference, but another big metro school taking football pretty seriously now. And their hoops is historically good.

I also like the Carolinas, so...

Coastal Carolina: Major baseball chops. Pretty good in all other sports except football.
UNC-Charlotte: Another big city school with great basketball history. Natural rival for UAB there.
Appalachian State: Big rivalry with Georgia Southern. They take football seriously in Boone.

That's my vote... but if you want to argue for ODU, Marshall, Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky, I'm OK with that. I'd consider Liberty, too. They're throwing money around like crazy in their bid to be the Southern Baptist version of Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 am   
Golden Panther

So about that bowl game...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 am   
Golden Panther

What are the advantages of being in a more geographically-tight conference? If you had beef with who FIU plays in C-USA, that only gets worse with bringing in teams like Coastal Carolina, etc. Do the saved travel costs really outweigh losing the pros from being in C-USA? The article seems to be written by a disgruntled Southern Miss person who's mad the new teams coming into the league are already better than their football team, despite their worse attendance. It's silly.

It's either go independent or stay in C-USA in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:

THANK YOU.

Let's pick this conversation back up during the long long off-season.

As of right now, we have a PRIME TIME nationally televised game on ESPN (the first, not the the third or the U) on a Thursday night going into Christmas weekend. EVERYBODY will be out at a bar or restaurant with at least a few TV's showing it.

Opportunity is huge. A21243431245SHADKS!@%$#!$HFDASKFIS I don't know about you guys but I am JACKED.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 am   
Golden Panther

Also, I agree with those who say there is plenty of time to talk about this topic in the off-season. There are lots of other exciting things going on right now like the Bowl game and the early-signing period is right around the corner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am   
Golden Panther

Hard to argue. We are not going anywhere soon, except to St. Pete, and I think that is pretty exciting. I agree, we need to enjoy the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am   
Golden Panther

Not a good sign. Our football team is finally relevant again and we're in a failing conference. I'm pretty sure our attendance is the worst. I hope we can find a solution.

Oh well... lets go FIU, win the Bad Boys, Bad Boys, Whatcha gonna Do, Sarsaparilla bowl!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 am   
Juvenile Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
What are the advantages of being in a more geographically-tight conference? If you had beef with who FIU plays in C-USA, that only gets worse with bringing in teams like Coastal Carolina, etc. Do the saved travel costs really outweigh losing the pros from being in C-USA? The article seems to be written by a disgruntled Southern Miss person who's mad the new teams coming into the league are already better than their football team, despite their worse attendance. It's silly.

+1

Southern Miss fans are just sour over how conference realignment played out for them. They have fans living in the past. C-USA will be fine but it will take time for schools that were playing poorly to it improve their fanbase such as North Texas, FAU, and FIU. CUSA teams have to also start winning their out of conference games to help the conference gain prestige. FAU losing to Buffalo was a disaster but we did our part and won all our OOC. We can only focus on what we can control, winning the bowl game, getting more guys in the NFL, and to continue on the path to winning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 am   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
pikedanny wrote:

THANK YOU.

As of right now, we have a PRIME TIME nationally televised game on ESPN (the first, not the the third or the U) on a Thursday night going into Christmas weekend. EVERYBODY will be out at a bar or restaurant with at least a few TV's showing it.

Opportunity is huge. A21243431245SHADKS!@%$#!$HFDASKFIS I don't know about you guys but I am JACKED.

Because we don't already have a bunch of bowl threads? Seriously?

Don't mean to piss on the parade... but I'm not THAT excited about the bowl game. At least, the "bowl" part. I hate bowls. Would much, much, much, MUCH rather have a real playoff instead of bowl games no one cares about outside of the teams playing in them and their fans.

Think being on ESPN prime time is a big deal? During the regular season, sure. Especially on Thu, Fri or Sat night. During bowl season... meh. No one really pays attention to or remembers bowl games outside of the New Year's 6. It's OK, don't get me wrong. It beats not being on ESPN. I just wouldn't count on people really recognizing FIU because of it unless some real crazy stuff happens. Especially those getting poop-faced in a bar.

Nice to see an extra game, for sure. Won't ever complain about that. The extra practice time is a real big deal. It matters to recruits. But I just can't get overly excited about the bowl part. It's a dumb system that should've been demolished long ago. To me, it's just another FIU football game. I care far more about that part.

Building A Dynasty wrote:

Whatever the author's motivations... I think he's making real valid points. The attendance is down for almost everybody. Just because he may have an axe to grind doesn't mean he's wrong.

Travel costs really do matter to anyone not in a P5 conference. Those cats make more than enough to cover travel to wherever. G5 is a totally different monster. Especially when you factor in all the sports, not just the big ones.

The teams casual fans care about are all in P5 land... except for a few in the American. FIU's not going to get into one of those conferences any time soon. Since that's the case, it pretty much doesn't matter at that point what conference you're in to the casual fan. If you're going to be in one of those, it might as well be the one that costs less money.

I realize that most of us wouldn't like that. Fair enough. I can't say I'm crazy about the idea, either. I know $$$$ well CUSA is better than the Belt or the A-Sun from a competition perspective. But from a purely dollars and cents point of view... I'm fairly certain it's more profitable going indy/A-Sun than CUSA. Especially if there's at least one money game a season for football.

And, in all seriousness... what are the pros to being in CUSA? Whatever prestige it had before is long gone now. No real TV dollars anymore. Having to travel everywhere from Texas to Virginia for games in all sports is not what I'd call a "pro". It's clear that attendance isn't any better. It's clear that casual fans don't care. I suppose you can argue the bowl tie-ins, but what else?

Honestly, CUSA is the Sun Belt with a better name. And the same 1-bid league it was in hoops. I guess baseball's better, but FIU would still have a hard time making the post-season as an at-large.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 am   
Golden Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
pikedanny wrote:

THANK YOU.

Because we don't already have a bunch of bowl threads? Seriously?

Don't mean to piss on the parade... but I'm not THAT excited about the bowl game. At least, the "bowl" part. I hate bowls. Would much, much, much, MUCH rather have a real playoff instead of bowl games no one cares about outside of the teams playing in them and their fans.

Think being on ESPN prime time is a big deal? During the regular season, sure. Especially on Thu, Fri or Sat night. During bowl season... meh. No one really pays attention to or remembers bowl games outside of the New Year's 6. It's OK, don't get me wrong. It beats not being on ESPN. I just wouldn't count on people really recognizing FIU because of it unless some real crazy stuff happens. Especially those getting poop-faced in a bar.

Nice to see an extra game, for sure. Won't ever complain about that. The extra practice time is a real big deal. It matters to recruits. But I just can't get overly excited about the bowl part. It's a dumb system that should've been demolished long ago. To me, it's just another FIU football game. I care far more about that part.

Just ignore the thread police. If they don't like a topic they don't have to click on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am   
Golden Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:

I respectfully disagree. We have not been on ESPN all season and this is a prime time game.

Is it the peach bowl? No. But a good game and a nice win will do miracles for momentum going into next season.

Bowl games matter to the casual fan. Espn matters to the casual fan. Way more than beating WKU or UMass on a Panther Pass stream.

I'm sorry but this is a monster opportunity.