It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 pm

"C-USA proves it's a failing model"

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 am   
Golden Panther

I agree that this is a big opportunity. We are the only nationally televised football game of any kind that night. I guarantee you that people who have never even heard of FIU will watch us and learn how good we are. It's great exposure and progress. It's not a New Years 6 bowl, but it's a start in the right direction.

Go Panthers!!!

Last edited by FIU Beisbol on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am   
Cougar

Bowl games are also huge for the players. Get to travel, be on TV, and get all that free bowl game swag.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm   
Golden Panther

Guys, this is one writer from a small 24,000 circulation Mississippi newspaper with an obvious Southern Miss agenda.

Don't take it as gospel or fact.

Focus on our wining season and bright future. Some of you just want to miserable, enjoy the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
This is precisely what I was talking about earlier in the thread about FIU pursuing independence.

CUSA has taken a major hit prestige-wise. Mainly because the TV dollars have dried up and there's no one in the conference who's a desirable for TV anymore. Add to that waning fan interest (which this article shows well) and the financial model starts to make no sense.

FAU drew 14,000 or so (and that's generous) to the CUSA title game it was hosting. Anyone here think FIU can do better than that should it host the CUSA title game? I can't see that short of two undefeated teams squaring off... and even then, I'd call it a toss-up.

Unless this trend reverses itself in a big way and quickly, CUSA as we know it is eventually going to go down the tubes. Probably the Sun Belt, too. They're in a similar position.

So... what's the solution? I think there's 2, potentially.

1) Independence (football) / Atlantic Sun (every other sport)

PROS:

- As cheap of a travel league as you can find in D1, especially for FIU. Half of your conference opponents are in Florida (FGCU, Stetson, UNF and Jacksonville). All of them are bus trips for every sport. And FIU has at least some history with all those schools. (It'd be a lot better if you can talk FAU into coming along... and it probably makes as much sense for them to consider this plan as it does for FIU.)

- Easier paths to a conference title for all the other sports... especially hoops, soccer, baseball and softball. Frankly, that's a conference FIU should dominate in all those sports (unless FAU joins). CUSA's a 1-bid league in hoops right now, so might as well take the easier path to the Big Dance. Baseball and softball's postseason chances hurt for sure as an at-large, but FIU's probably not going to be an at-large team anyway.

- The freedom to build a football schedule with teams the casual fans want to see. (Assuming you can get them to come... but FIU has some built in advantages there. I don't think it'll be nearly as hard as some of you think.)

- Saving a ton in travel costs across the board for all sports.

CONS:

- Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, NJIT and USC Upstate. That's definitely a bag of yuck. But only one of those is a definite plane ride.

- Most non-diehard fans won't know or care about the A-Sun... but you have that problem now with the CUSA or Sun Belt schools. At least this way you're only playing a few no-names instead of a bunch.

- You lose the TV money, but that's probably off-set by the drop in travel costs. And a money game or two in football probably more than makes up the difference.

- Attendance goes down for sure... but it's already pretty much at the floor now, so what does it matter? If football starts doing well, maybe you see a trickle effect across the board.

- Conference prestige takes a hit... but CUSA isn't the name it used to be and FIU can make up for that if it dominates the A-Sun and makes noise in the postseason. People know FGCU from its March Madness wins, after all.

2) A more geographically sensible CUSA/Sun Belt.

If the powers that be at FIU insist on being in a football conference, I think they have to pursue the idea of a 10-team league with as many football schools as it can find who are relatively close to Miami. The trick is... who?

We know USF and UCF are not realistic options... so here's who I'd say are definite locks.

FAU: Duh.
Georgia State: Prior A-Sun history. They're basically the FIU of Atlanta.
Georgia Southern: Small town but serious football history and they're relatively close.

Beyond that, it gets tricky. Do you want to go west or north? I think Alabama makes sense, so...

South Alabama: Prior Sun Belt history. Pretty good in baseball historically. Mobile is fairly metro for Alabama.
Troy: Prior Sun Belt history. Small town. I could take them or leave them, but they probably make sense in this model.
UAB: I don't think they'd like this conference, but another big metro school taking football pretty seriously now. And their hoops is historically good.

I also like the Carolinas, so...

Coastal Carolina: Major baseball chops. Pretty good in all other sports except football.
UNC-Charlotte: Another big city school with great basketball history. Natural rival for UAB there.
Appalachian State: Big rivalry with Georgia Southern. They take football seriously in Boone.

That's my vote... but if you want to argue for ODU, Marshall, Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky, I'm OK with that. I'd consider Liberty, too. They're throwing money around like crazy in their bid to be the Southern Baptist version of Notre Dame.

You fall under the category of any conference that is willing to have my school as a member is not good enough to be a member.

This USM write doesn't understand that if there were any future expansion of conferencees there are 2 schools in TX and 2 school in FL that would be more desirbable than a backwoods MS school!

Two healthy competive FL schools and two healthy TX schools will change everything for this conference, the funny thing is Marshall and USM have no idea they are on the green mile. It will become a little more difficult for them to grab Florida kids with these schools winning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 pm   
Golden Panther

FAU Connoisseur wrote:
Two healthy competive FL schools and two healthy TX schools will change everything for this conference, the funny thing is Marshall and USM have no idea they are on the green mile. It will become a little more difficult for them to grab Florida kids with these schools winning.

Mr. FAU thank you for your pragmatism.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 am   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
I respectfully disagree. We have not been on ESPN all season and this is a prime time game.

Is it the peach bowl? No. But a good game and a nice win will do miracles for momentum going into next season.

Bowl games matter to the casual fan. Espn matters to the casual fan. Way more than beating WKU or UMass on a Panther Pass stream.

I'm sorry but this is a monster opportunity.

I think you wildly overestimate the casual fan.

Who won the Gasparilla Bowl last season?

If you know the answer without looking it up... you're either a hardcore college fan or a fan of one of the teams that played. Casual fans just do not care about bowl games outside of the NY6 unless one of their teams are in it. Substitute Gasparilla for any other bowl that isn't one of the NY6 and you have pretty much the same result. There's like 80 jillion bowl games. It's hard to remember them all even if you're a dedicated college football fan.

ESPN figured out a long time ago that games are their bread and butter. As long as there's a game on, there will always be a constant viewership, especially for sports bars and other places where having sports stuff in the background is a requirement. And it really doesn't matter that much what kind of game it is or who's playing, as long as it's a game. That's why the MAC gets prime time on weeknights. That's why they air all those bowl games.

I agree that it's a good opportunity for FIU, especially since they haven't been on a national ESPN broadcast in forever. There will certainly be more eyeballs on FIU in this game than any other this season. But short of something really memorable happening, I wouldn't expect a lot of the casuals to remember the game much past the night it airs. I'll settle for it getting the more apathetic FIU fans and students off their keesters.

Bowls are more important for recruiting, I think. Recruits pay attention to that stuff, especially if you win. And if you're a constant bowl participant, your program gets a small prestige bump.

Maybe you'll see a little more buzz around the team going into next season if FIU wins... but I think that buzz is there even if they lose. Going 8-5 is still a wildly successful season for FIU.

OC Panther wrote:
Guys, this is one writer from a small 24,000 circulation Mississippi newspaper with an obvious Southern Miss agenda.

Don't take it as gospel or fact.

Focus on our wining season and bright future. Some of you just want to miserable, enjoy the moment.

Just from him? No. But he's far from the only one saying that stuff. And the attendance numbers are downright scary. The facts are on his side, unfortunately. If that doesn't change fast, CUSA is in big trouble long-term.

This conference can't survive in its current form with little TV dollars and bad attendance. Even some of the AD's in CUSA have admitted as much publicly... and bet your bottom dollar there's a lot more of them saying it in private. If not all of them.

I think FIU's future is bright as long as Butch is here, no matter what conference we're in. Or even if we're not in one.

FAU Connoisseur wrote:
You fall under the category of any conference that is willing to have my school as a member is not good enough to be a member.

This USM write doesn't understand that if there were any future expansion of conferencees there are 2 schools in TX and 2 school in FL that would be more desirbable than a backwoods MS school!

No. I fall under the category of wanting FIU to play games against schools that actually excite students and alums. I don't care about the conference unless it accomplishes that or makes the school a buttload of cash. Neither of which is happening right now.

If playing MTSU, WKU, Marshall and everyone else got the campus buzzing and helped put fannies in seats... then I'd be fine and dandy with staying in CUSA. But that's not happening for us and certainly not for FAU. Outside of FIU, your school doesn't care about anyone in CUSA, either.

I would agree than any of the FL or TX schools are more desirable now than Southern Miss in the grand scheme of conference realignment... but that's more because of location than anything else. Not because of the actual schools. I'd kill for FIU to have the history of Southern Miss. We'd probably be in the American if that was the case. Or maybe even the Big 12.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:22 pm   
Golden Panther

I didn't know where else to post this, but I just saw that Mario Cristobal is the new Oregon head coach. I wish him the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
I didn't know where else to post this, but I just saw that Mario Cristobal is the new Oregon head coach. I wish him the best.

Yeah I wish Turner nothing but the best too. Who cares? We're going bowling!