It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 pm

*******It’s Gasparilla bowl game day!!!!*******

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:37 am   
Golden Panther

Really shoots your gameplan to s**t when you're starting QB goes down on the 3rd or 4th play and your backup QB has thrown just 6(?) passes all season.

For being so one dimensional, I thought the run game was pretty good. Alexander was a mess early on but calmed down and made some good plays at times. I thought there was no chance FIU could win the game once McGough went down. But after the first few less-than-stellar series by Alexander, there were several moments later in the game where I said to myself, "If they just finish this drive with some points, they might actually win this game." Obviously, it didn't happen. But to be fair, the failure to finish drives wasn't all on Alexander (at least on one of the drives).

So despite the loss, and despite the final score not looking close at all, the game was actually incredibly competitive, I thought. And the defense performed admirably given the turnovers and short fields Temple was working with throughout the game.

I know it sounds a little sour grapes, but just the way the game started, and how things immediately changed once McGough left, it's hard not to think FIU wins this if he's healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 am   
Golden Panther

Disappointing end to the season. I'm still proud of our Panthers!

Someone needs to teach McGough to slide feet first. It's been an issue with him his whole college career. I feel bad for the guy, to end his career like that. Only minutes in to his only bowl game, in his home city.

Our defense played very strong and tired out. The end got out of control because of turnovers.

Maurice Alexander is not a college QB. It's not about development, he's just not a starting QB and never will be. The kid has 2 touchdowns and 9 interceptions in his career. Plus, there's that costly fumble today. He's just not good enough.

I'm hoping our new QB, Caleb Lynum will compete for the starting job. He looks really talented.

The size of our new O Linemen will go a long way, and help with QB play.

In the end, I firmly believe with our defense playing the way they did, we would have won this bowl game if McGough stayed healthy.

A disappointing end to the season, but a very bright future ahead, I firmly believe that. As always, Go Panthers!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:01 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
I'm hoping our new QB, Caleb Lynum will compete for the starting job. He looks really talented.

You don't want to have to rely on a true freshman QB.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 am   
Golden Panther

Inexplicable to me how the coach would allow himself to be put in such a position. Surely BD knows that MA is utterly inept on this level. Only explanation is that CA is beyond bad and Wiggins must have been nowhere near ready to play this year. I have been talking about this for weeks but it takes this big egg laid in St. Pete to get some of you guys to wake up. I think next year is shaping up as a dumpster fire at QB. We're going to rely on a freshman or a redshirt freshman? Personally, I would not attend or watch any games if Alexander were to start.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 am   
Puma

I’m a bit worried about our QB position for 2018. To be honest all of my hopes are on Kaylan Wiggins, there has to be a reason CA did not get a game snap this year, we all know Maurice is now what we want and lets be real Lynum looks more like an Athlete than a QB, it was obvious we were waiting to see what happened with Carter Bradley before we took him as part of this class.

Either way i trust Butch will find a way.

Paws UP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am   
Puma

Diagodog wrote:
Inexplicable to me how the coach would allow himself to be put in such a position. Surely BD knows that MA is utterly inept on this level. Only explanation is that CA is beyond bad and Wiggins must have been nowhere near ready to play this year. I have been talking about this for weeks but it takes this big egg laid in St. Pete to get some of you guys to wake up. I think next year is shaping up as a dumpster fire at QB. We're going to rely on a freshman or a redshirt freshman? Personally, I would not attend or watch any games if Alexander were to start.

With all due respect, that wouldn’t make you much of a fan. If you don’t attend after the team had the most successful season ever and best recruiting class in history (by a landslide) when will you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 am   
Golden Panther

FIUNole wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:

No, you don't want to, but we may have to. Look at Mcgough. He started pretty much from the beginning. He worked out fine in my opinion. With the right coaching and development, Lynum could be a stud in our offense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 am   
Puma

FIU Beisbol wrote:
FIUNole wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:

No, you don't want to, but we may have to. Look at Mcgough. He started pretty much from the beginning. He worked out fine in my opinion. With the right coaching and development, Lynum could be a stud in our offense.

Agree with FIU Beisbol. I see nothing wrong with starting a freshman QB. If our starting QB (Whoever might be besides MA) gets hurt next year the last QB I want to see under center is Maurice Alexander. I may have gotten too personal with this kid for his performance last night but MA simply does have the height and size to be a college QB. He is no Jeremiah Masoli who played for Oregon and Ole Miss couple of years ago with the same body build. The lack of depth in QB really got me worried for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:53 am   
Juvenile Panther

MA doesn't look like a starting QB or a trustworthy Backup. The offense is stagnant with him at center. Hopefully we can get a JUCO or preferably a Grad transfer looking to start until we can find our QB of the future.

It was bad already that we were missing Owens but losing McGough was game over. Sad ending to his great career.

On the bright side the FIU tailgate was well done and there was a decent crowd at the game. Everyone I went with had fun despite the loss. Overall FIU exceeded expectations this season and I'm proud of this teams effort. Looking forward to next season with the new signees.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:41 am   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
Diagodog wrote:

With all due respect, that wouldn’t make you much of a fan. If you don’t attend after the team had the most successful season ever and best recruiting class in history (by a landslide) when will you?

Reinier is right. 100%

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:30 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
Diagodog wrote:

Bingo! It’s about the three letters in the uniform...FIU. No one player or person is bigger than FIU. We’re just going to get better, let’s support this team the best way we can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:43 am   
Golden Panther

This was my first FIU bowl game and it was fun, despite the loss. The wife asked why the stadium looks empty on tv when so many traveled for the bowl. I think attendance should improve some next season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:26 pm   
Golden Panther

Question. My cousin went to the watch party at sunset place and he told me that they basically were kicking people out at 11pm before the game was done. Can anyone confirm if this actually happebed?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:39 pm   
Golden Panther

pn8013 wrote:
FIUNole wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:

Agree with FIU Beisbol. I see nothing wrong with starting a freshman QB.

With all due respect, your eyes must be closed haha. Come on, you literally see "nothing" wrong with starting a true freshman?

I'm sure it's been asked, but I don't remember the answer: Is he an early enrollee, or will he not get on campus until the summer?

FIU Beisbol wrote:
FIUNole wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:

Yea, and he completed 50.4% of his passes, had a 14:10 TD:INT ratio, a 111.4 passer rating (not good for college), and a 4-8 record.

I certainly don't want that at QB next season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:55 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Who’s record was 4-8? lynum? His school shows 7-4. He played on same team as Justin Watkins. With only 3 interceptions. Attends east ridge high school.

Or did I miss a part of the discussion ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next