It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Looking ahead to the 2018 Football Season!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 am   
Golden Panther

I suspect our chances are higher of snagging a JUCO transfer. But maybe BD's allure could sway a P-5 guy. We'll see. When is February 7th, anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 pm   
Golden Panther

The (now) traditional National Signing Day is the first Wednesday of February. This year, I believe it’s the 7th of February.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:56 pm   
Golden Panther

Fanatic, have you seen any recruiting news?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
Fanatic, have you seen any recruiting news?

We're in a dead period until Jan 11:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIREC_BowlSubdivisionFootballRecruitingCalendar_20171116.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 am   
Golden Panther

Only a few more days until January 11th. I feel that we will start to hear a lot of new information and rumblings after that. We've still got a lot of work to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 am   
Golden Panther

In the nature of looking ahead to the 2018 season, does anyone know what happened to Anthony Jones? I know he was injured to start the season, but I recall seeing him dressed on the sideline for a couple games later in the year. I had high hopes for him coming into the 2017 season. Did his injury just last longer than initially thought? I truly hope we can get him back 100% for this season. It will make losing A1 a lot more palatable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
In the nature of looking ahead to the 2018 season, does anyone know what happened to Anthony Jones? I know he was injured to start the season, but I recall seeing him dressed on the sideline for a couple games later in the year. I had high hopes for him coming into the 2017 season. Did his injury just last longer than initially thought? I truly hope we can get him back 100% for this season. It will make losing A1 a lot more palatable.

I was looking at Jone's numbers and I'm confused. He's listed as a wide receiver, but he's got all these rushing stats. Is he a WR or a RB? I see he played every game of 2016, but not a single game in 2017.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am   
Puma

Anthony Jones was injured before the season started, idk why or how but he ended up not playing a single snap and only dressed up for a couple of games, 2017 will probably end up being a red-shirt season for him, making him a red-shirt Junior next season.

He has played mostly RB in his time at FIU although he saw some playing time at receiver his freshman season.

I'd expect him to be our starting RB next season. Depth Chart will prob look something like this:

1. Anthony Jones
2. Napoleon Maxwell or Shaundarrious Phillips
3. D'vontae Price

There could be some position changes, specially since we signed 2 good running backs. Maybe they move Jones back to receiver but he is probably our best RB, good problem to have i guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:22 am   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
Anthony Jones was injured before the season started, idk why or how but he ended up not playing a single snap and only dressed up for a couple of games, 2017 will probably end up being a red-shirt season for him, making him a red-shirt Junior next season.

He has played mostly RB in his time at FIU although he saw some playing time at receiver his freshman season.

I'd expect him to be our starting RB next season. Depth Chart will prob look something like this:

1. Anthony Jones
2. Napoleon Maxwell or Shaundarrious Phillips
3. D'vontae Price

There could be some position changes, specially since we signed 2 good running backs. Maybe they move Jones back to receiver but he is probably our best RB, good problem to have i guess.

I'm like 99% sure Jones is a RB. He is built way too solid now to be a WR, in my opinion. He would have to cut weight to shift back. He is a good RB and should stay there.

I like your depth chart. One of my few gripes against the coaching staff is that we did not give D'Vonte Price nearly enough touches. He was hands down the most explosive RB on the roster, regardless of the fact he was a freshmen. I almost wonder, since RB is so stacked, if we will see Price shift to WR. He has great hands. He needs the football.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 am   
Puma

Price lined up at receiver on a few plays this season so it wouldn't be a crazy move. He has the size to play receiver too, i guess we'll see how the coaching staff plays it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 am   
Golden Panther

Well you kind of said it.

Price was the most explosive RB last year in limited touches. He adds the element of catching balls out of backfield too.

I would imagine he and Jones will battle for the no.1 spot.
Assuming Napoleon is back for a 6th year than he and Phillips would battle for No. 2.

Yes, there is the possibility of seeing Price move to receiver with Singleton, Gaitor, Stanley, Shermar, and a whole lot of talented guys.

The depth and RB and WR is crazy. Yes, good problems to have.

Also all of a sudden the DT position has tons of Depth with two instant starters (JUCOS) and the Huge step taken by Johnson #91.

So, to me the most interesting battles maybe on the OL. I think some of Butch's guys took Redshirts but will be given every shot to beat up the older Turner OL. Either way, the OL improvements are reassuring that at a worst case, there will be continuity.

But, I hope to see some of Butch's OL guys win jobs and of course the Juco LT will start.

At QB, well, it will be a wait and see. At a worse case, Butch will go with Kaylan (red shirt) or Caleb. Don't think Maurice will finish at QB or FIU and please forget about Christian. That's two staffs that put Maurice ahead of him.

We saw last night two 5* QBs play the no2 spot behind UCF. And plenty of Freshmen accross the nation have success. Specially given the talent on the Roster, they may only be asked to not lose games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Great summary there on what/who we will have (if those JUCOS and freshmen show up) next year as solid contributors /starters. On the DL you forgot to mention Jordan Woods, who is a P5 transfer from Georgia Tech with great accolades out of high school.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm   
Golden Panther

The D-line next year will be stacked. I see it something as follows:

DE:
1) Silva + Woods
2) Curtis + Oliver
3) Broome + Sanders

DT:
1) Humphrey + Tart
2) Johnson + Little
3) Juste/Colson/Sherriff/Burns

FIU has NEVER seen depth like that on the D-line. Now we just really need to hope the JUCO guys make in onto campus...

Not sure what's going to happen at LB though. I could see something like:

MLB:
1) Sage Lewis
2) Donovan Georges

WLB:
1) Jamal Gates
2) Brandon James

SLB:
1) Tyree Johnson
2) Romelo Brooks/Rocky Jacques-Louis

While I'm at it, let's just finish guessing the secondary:

CB:
1) Lubin + Ike Brown
2) Rish. Dames + Reaser
3) Walker + White

S:
1) Rich. Dames + Cushin/Spence
2) Cushin/Spence + Anderson/Munroe/Hall

We will likely be very raw at the safety spot... It will be nice getting Ike Brown back. He's a great player.

If you guys see anything different, let me know. A lot of that was going off the depth chart of the bowl game, plus trying to factor in injuries and newcomers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:45 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Great summary there on what/who we will have (if those JUCOS and freshmen show up) next year as solid contributors /starters. On the DL you forgot to mention Jordan Woods, who is a P5 transfer from Georgia Tech with great accolades out of high school.

I'm a little hesitant on Transfers because with the exception of the best QB to ever play (Wesley) and a few others, transfers have seldomly performed at a high level or even a low level. Guys like OhioState WR James Louis, LSU RB Jackory Gore, Michigan State Ceaser, come to mind, all were 4 Star transfers.

Jucos however are more proven ( have had more success at FIU) guys that have done it at a higher level than HS. Infact, one can say they may be better prepared because they survived the rigors of small schools, less funding, etc....

But this is a new staff, and thus far have found talent.

But yes, I hope Woods is great too, if all those DTs are as promised and as evaluated, than we have a top 25 DT group.

Last edited by chiaPanther on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:52 am   
Golden Panther

Fanatic,

I dug up this story on Woods transfer.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.com/ ... M/amp.html

Quote:
One of the most sought-after members of Tech’s 2016 signing class, Woods sat out the 2016 season after tearing the labrum in his shoulder. He returned to the practice field for spring practice before ultimately deciding to transfer. Woods said he wants to return to his home state of Florida to continue his career.

He was injured and transferred the following year. I'm more hopeful for him now, because it wasn't that he couldn't beat out others and became malcontent.

Oddly, hd was originally to transfer to USF?
https://www.google.com/amp/collegefootb ... o-usf/amp/

And this

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/georg ... l-transfer

Quote:
Though he attained a high recruiting ranking with his physical prowess in high school, reports out of practices were that Woods was struggling to crack the rotation for playing time as a pass-rusher. With upperclassmen KeShun Freeman, Antonio Simmons, and Anree Saint-Amour set to return as the team’s primary defensive ends this season, Woods was unlikely to see a significant amount of time on the field in 2017, although the graduation of Freeman and Simmons will open up a starting spot for 2018 that Woods may have been in the mix for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next