It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Looking ahead to the 2018 Football Season!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:54 am   
Golden Panther

I have to admit, FIU football met and even surpassed my expectations for the 2017 season. Before the season began I predicted either 6 or 7 wins. We had 8 wins. We played in a bowl game. FIU finished 2nd in the eat division behind a very good FAU team. We have a great recruiting class. I firmly believe we would have won the bowl game had McGough stayed healthy and played the whole game.

I am very excited for next season and for the first time in a few years I have confidence in the direction of the program. I believe we have a bright future ahead with young talent from the 2017 and 2018 classes. Butch is here to stay. We are headed in the right direction.

Look at UCF, they went 0-12 2 seasons ago, then did much better the next season, and then go 12-0 this season. WHY NOT US?

Let's go Panthers!!!

What are your all thoughts looking ahead?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am   
Golden Panther

Well I guess we didn't waste any time with this thread lol. Next season will heavily depend on who the QB is and how well they play. We will likely struggle in out of conference play while we adjust to the new QB, but hopefully by the time conference play comes along, the team will gel. At WR, I think we still need that dominant playmaker, like T.O. became. Singleton has potential to do that, but we couldn't get it going last night. The running game should be solid. The only starting OL we lose is Budwig, which is a big loss, but maybe we can shuffle the line around if Demery makes it on campus.

I'm interested to see how many of the JUCO guys from the 2018 class actually make it to campus. If both DTs do, our D-line will be dominant. We lose Wint and Williams at LB, but Sage Lewis is definitely a nice plug in, plus we have Donovan Georges coming in, in addition to some LBs we brought in from last year's class (Brandon James, Jamal Gates, Romelo Brooks). I think we will be fine there. The second biggest question mark in my eyes, besides QB, is who comes in at DB? We lose Brad Muhammad, Bryce Canady, Niko, and Andrew Brown, who were all starters or got significant playing time. Richard Dames played very well at safety, especially at the end of the season. He should definitely take one of the safety spots. Maybe next season is the year we see Dorian Hall step in? At CB, hopefully we get Isaiah Brown returning, paired with Lubin and maybe Rishard? A lot of question marks there. Jesson Walker, Jamal Anderson, and Shamar Munroe are each great prospects, but still seem raw to me. Shamar has the body type to be the one most likely to make an immediate impact. The dude is solid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:25 am   
Juvenile Panther

If we look around you will see a lot of freshman coming into different programs making immediate impact. Their hungry, athletic and in some areas more coachable because they are eager to learn and get some playing time.

Have to give this staff the benefit of the doubt, first year/first hand played well 8-4. Now to bring in hand picked recruits 2018

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:33 am   
Puma

I'm very hopeful about Dorian Hall, i saw him talking to the coaches about his weight, said he has put up 10 pounds, I feel like he'll be ready to make an impact next season.

On one of the practice videos i saw Stanley Thomas with the DB's group, if he is back next season (wouldn't blame him or be surprised if he left the team) i would expect him to be a DB.

I can see our starting DB group being:

1st Team Isiah Brown (CB) Dorian Hall (SS) Richard Dames (FS) Emmanuel Lubin (CB)
2nd Team Rishard Dames (CB) Shamar Munroe (SS) Jamal Anderson (FS) Stanley Thomas (CB)

Comfortable with first team not so confident about 2nd team .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am   
Golden Panther

With so many of the seniors leaving, I am worried. If we can get everyone who signed on to campus and playing that would be great. I feel that a good amount of the kids we signed can start if we need them to. With proper practice and coaching this kids can make an early impact.

QB is definitely a major concern after last night. Our offense was stagnant. We can't have that next year. If we can somehow get a Juco transfer with experience I'd be thrilled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am   
Juvenile Panther

Jordan Budwig will be petitioning the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility. An option at QB would be to go after a graduate transfer, like TE Pharoah McKever from NC State this year. In 2015, we got graduate transfer QB Trey Anderson from Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm   
Golden Panther

fiu1994 wrote:
Jordan Budwig will be petitioning the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility. An option at QB would be to go after a graduate transfer, like TE Pharoah McKever from NC State this year. In 2015, we got graduate transfer QB Trey Anderson from Pittsburgh.

I had not heard that about Budwig. That would be tremendous if he returns next year. I saw a stat that he had given up ZERO sacks coming into the bowl game. That's very impressive.

I agree about the grad transfer. Even if they do not become the starter, the extra competition in camp would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:01 pm   
Juvenile Panther

fiu1994 wrote:
ee about the grad transfer. Even if they do not become the starter, the extra competition in camp would be very helpful.

2018 QB Lynum was a steal from Indiana & Ball State. We should consider ourselves quite lucky. He worked out for LSU and Florida this year as well. A QB with a pistol that can run, and also read defenses. I say feed him that playbook and let him compete. Strong and Fast- look at his Nike ratings FEBRUARY 19, 2017 number 1. Justin Fields 2. Caleb Lynum 3. Joe Milton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:46 pm   
Juvenile Panther

247 put out a list of potential grad transfers. Would be nice to get somebody to compete with Kalyan and Caleb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/College-football-quarterbacks-with-big-transfer-decisions-in-2018-112556348/Amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:49 pm   
Golden Panther

panther09 wrote:
247 put out a list of potential grad transfers. Would be nice to get somebody to compete with Kalyan and Caleb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/College-football-quarterbacks-with-big-transfer-decisions-in-2018-112556348/Amp

I agree, that would be great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:17 pm   
Golden Panther

I was chatting with FIU Fanatic after the game last night, and he put it perfectly, saying that after last night Christian Alexander should see the writing on the wall and look to transfer. If he couldn't sniff the field with as badly as Maurice looked last night, he may NEVER see the field here at FIU.
At least I think that's how the conversation went. I was rather inebriated. The bartenders at the Alumni Association Tailgate knew how to pour a cocktail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 pm   
Puma

Speaking of the tailgate, holy crap was it awesome. Great drinks, food and the atmosphere was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:05 pm   
Golden Panther

GoldenPantherFan wrote:
Speaking of the tailgate, holy crap was it awesome. Great drinks, food and the atmosphere was amazing.

Yes, that was very well done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:20 am   
Golden Panther

HooterHater wrote:
I was chatting with FIU Fanatic after the game last night, and he put it perfectly, saying that after last night Christian Alexander should see the writing on the wall and look to transfer. If he couldn't sniff the field with as badly as Maurice looked last night, he may NEVER see the field here at FIU.
At least I think that's how the conversation went. I was rather inebriated. The bartenders at the Alumni Association Tailgate knew how to pour a cocktail.

LOL, Hooter! Yes, we did have a conversation along those lines. Gotta say, that was as good a tailgate in so many respects, as I’ve seen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 pm   
Golden Panther

Looking back, Christian Alexander was a higher rated QB, a 3 star recruit. Maurice Alexander was a 2 star rated QB.

The fact that Christian hasn't sniffed the field says a lot. What a disappointment. Christian needs to transfer. Maybe Maurice will take a cue as well.

I will always support my Panthers, but I can't see Maurice starting next year. If he does we are in a lot of trouble.