It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18 am

Looking ahead to the 2018 Football Season!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:20 am   
Golden Panther

Christian Alexander cannot possibly be less talented than Maurice Alexander. I am sorry, but it is just not humanly possible. And besides, CA is the same type of QB as McGough, not a so-called dual-threat as Mighty Mouse (although "zero-threat" would be a more accurate description in that case.) There is something that we are not hearing about CA, that is all I am saying. Any coach in America would have replaced MA in the second half if there was a body with a heartbeat to do so with. It has to have something to do with disciplinary reasons, eligibility, something. BD's comment that he in essence turned over the job of coaching MA in the second half to McGough ("I told him maybe YOU can do something with him.") is about as astounding a comment as I have ever heard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:46 am   
Puma

From what I had heard from former football players, Maurice Alexander is a great leader and connects with football players extremely well. Maybe CA doesnt have enough chemistry (In the playing since) with the rest of the players.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:13 am   
Golden Panther

HugoGP1 wrote:
From what I had heard from former football players, Maurice Alexander is a great leader and connects with football players extremely well. Maybe CA doesnt have enough chemistry (In the playing since) with the rest of the players.

I mean... really...? Come on now. Butch Davis is also a great leader and connects with football players extremely well. I DO NOT want to see him under center.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:19 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Christian Alexander cannot possibly be less talented than Maurice Alexander. I am sorry, but it is just not humanly possible. And besides, CA is the same type of QB as McGough, not a so-called dual-threat as Mighty Mouse (although "zero-threat" would be a more accurate description in that case.) There is something that we are not hearing about CA, that is all I am saying. Any coach in America would have replaced MA in the second half if there was a body with a heartbeat to do so with. It has to have something to do with disciplinary reasons, eligibility, something. BD's comment that he in essence turned over the job of coaching MA in the second half to McGough ("I told him maybe YOU can do something with him.") is about as astounding a comment as I have ever heard.

Christian Alexander (#8) was dressed and throwing on the side lines at the game, so it cannot be eligibility or disciplinary issues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm   
Puma

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
HugoGP1 wrote:

I mean... really...? Come on now. Butch Davis is also a great leader and connects with football players extremely well. I DO NOT want to see him under center.

Dude, built and size are not the only attributes one needs to be a QB. There has to be chemistry with all players especially dealing with complicated plays. For CA it could be many things that bumped him down the list such as not getting the full scope of the playbook. It could be many reasons why Butch does not make him his ace.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:14 pm   
Golden Panther

I am not talking about making g CA an "ace". I am simply saying that it is unfatomable to me why BD would stick with MA throughout that complete offensive debacle. I don't care if every player on the team loves MA like a girlfriend. That kid cannot play D1 football. Period. There is an untold story here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:16 pm   
Golden Panther

"unfathomable"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:11 pm   
Puma

Diagodog wrote:
I am not talking about making g CA an "ace". I am simply saying that it is unfatomable to me why BD would stick with MA throughout that complete offensive debacle. I don't care if every player on the team loves MA like a girlfriend. That kid cannot play D1 football. Period. There is an untold story here.

Nor am I defending MA, I was literally screaming at the TV like an old man when they placed him in the game. You can also see from my previous comments that I think MA should be placed in another position.

I am just stating from what I had heard from former players. The only conclusion that I could come up with is either
1. CA can't memorize coach Skrosky's playbook
2. out of sync with the players during plays
3. Players don't respect him as a QB.
4. Lack of communication from whatever end.
5. MA performs better during drills.

There could be more reasons why CA is not number 2, which is insane to think because he was rated pretty well coming in.

Maybe, he is the Alex Moran of FIU and wants to be a backup throughout his career hahaha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Has anyone come up with any facts on why CA Didn’t play?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 am   
Golden Panther

I get all those reasons, Hugo, and agree those are all possibilities for why a coach would slide a guy down to the #3 slot. But none of them would, or should, be enough to stop you from trying ANYTHING when it is clear that #2 can't move the team. Even the one sure TD pass that was dropped was thrown like a bullet slightly wide of target. Yes, it was catchable, but I could see from the trajectory that it was going to be a problematic catch for the average receiver (which is all we had on the field). McGough would have lobbed that pass over the oncoming rusher and even a kid with hands of stone would have caught it and trotted into the end zone.

The worst possible reason to keep MA in would be because BD, or Skrosky perhaps, thinks he is good. That possibility fills me with terror regarding 2018. Let me say unequivocally that if that kid is the best we can put on the field at QB next year, then we are sunk. If he remains at #2, we are not in much better shape. We need to have individuals with potential getting reps and being put in a position of readiness to back up. If MA had a big upside, we would have seen glimmers of it after two years. He looks to be about 5'11" and 165 pounds, small but not fast, slow to release the ball under duress, prone to panic, not elusive and not particularly accurate. If he is a great teammate and leader and diehard baller, then why not turn him into a slot receiver?

The reason that would make most sense as to why Alexander did not get in would be that the coaches did not want to burn a redshirt year for purposes of playing him for a half when they think he might be of real value to the team in 2018. But I think he has already redshirted, so that doesn't make sense and I am pretty much out of guesses, other than the fact that BD thinks that Alexander is terrible, far worse than MA, which to my mind, and given what I have seen transpire on the field, simply seems impossible, but who knows? Maybe I will write Walter Vila and ask him if he asked BD why he didn't put CA in, since they clearly discussed the issue at some length in post game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm   
Puma

Diagodog wrote:
I get all those reasons, Hugo, and agree those are all possibilities for why a coach would slide a guy down to the #3 slot. But none of them would, or should, be enough to stop you from trying ANYTHING when it is clear that #2 can't move the team. Even the one sure TD pass that was dropped was thrown like a bullet slightly wide of target. Yes, it was catchable, but I could see from the trajectory that it was going to be a problematic catch for the average receiver (which is all we had on the field). McGough would have lobbed that pass over the oncoming rusher and even a kid with hands of stone would have caught it and trotted into the end zone.

The worst possible reason to keep MA in would be because BD, or Skrosky perhaps, thinks he is good. That possibility fills me with terror regarding 2018. Let me say unequivocally that if that kid is the best we can put on the field at QB next year, then we are sunk. If he remains at #2, we are not in much better shape. We need to have individuals with potential getting reps and being put in a position of readiness to back up. If MA had a big upside, we would have seen glimmers of it after two years. He looks to be about 5'11" and 165 pounds, small but not fast, slow to release the ball under duress, prone to panic, not elusive and not particularly accurate. If he is a great teammate and leader and diehard baller, then why not turn him into a slot receiver?

The reason that would make most sense as to why Alexander did not get in would be that the coaches did not want to burn a redshirt year for purposes of playing him for a half when they think he might be of real value to the team in 2018. But I think he has already redshirted, so that doesn't make sense and I am pretty much out of guesses, other than the fact that BD thinks that Alexander is terrible, far worse than MA, which to my mind, and given what I have seen transpire on the field, simply seems impossible, but who knows? Maybe I will write Walter Vila and ask him if he asked BD why he didn't put CA in, since they clearly discussed the issue at some length in post game.

Man, I just hope all this is sorted out by next season. Remember that we still have another signing period and hopefully we could get another QB or a transfer.

We will see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:15 am   
Juvenile Panther

There's no way that Butch, having a Senior QB and knowing who's on the roster at QB for 2018, would not have a plan going forward after being here for over year. These are some of the unsigned QB's that Director of Recruiting Bryn Renner is following on Twitter:

Lindsey Scott Jr. (East Mississippi Community College)
Kai Locksley (Iowa Western Community College)
Woody Barrett (Copiah-Lincoln Community College)
Malik Henry (Independence Community College)
Rathen Ricedorff (Boise State University)
Jacob Park (University of Iowa)
Zach Smith (Baylor University)

I expect one these JUCO's or transfers to sign with us in the coming months.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:10 pm   
Golden Panther

fiu1994 wrote:
There's no way that Butch, having a Senior QB and knowing who's on the roster at QB for 2018, would not have a plan going forward after being here for over year. These are some of the unsigned QB's that Director of Recruiting Bryn Renner is following on Twitter:

Lindsey Scott Jr. (East Mississippi Community College)
Kai Locksley (Iowa Western Community College)
Woody Barrett (Copiah-Lincoln Community College)
Malik Henry (Independence Community College)
Rathen Ricedorff (Boise State University)
Jacob Park (University of Iowa)
Zach Smith (Baylor University)

I expect one these JUCO's or transfers to sign with us in the coming months.

I suspect you may be right.

Happy new years fellow Panthers!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:46 pm   
Golden Panther

I'd say a graduate or JUCO transfer is likely, too. We don't need a world-beater QB and the main thing those guys look for is the chance to get on the field right away. FIU can certainly provide that. The rest of the pieces should be there offensively.

I wish I knew what to make of CA not getting any playing time this year, especially during the bowl game. I fear it is what most of you think. If he can't beat out MA in practice and MA looks that bad in real games... then he probably needs to transfer or switch positions. But if the part about MA being someone who inspires teammates is true, then maybe that's the real reason why.

Also... BD didn't recruit any of those QB's. Maybe he just went with MA because he had actual game experience and was the most veteran of the bunch. Sometimes it is as simple as that, especially if none of the QB's are standing out in practice.

Regardless, spring ball will be the real tell. If CA's still not getting serious run, then he's probably out of the coaching staff's plans and will be out sooner rather than later.

I'm not all that sure MA can switch to another position and be more effective. I'm not particularly impressed with his athleticism. Maybe he can be a WR or a DB, but that's a stretch to me. I'd like to see him in another position at spring ball, but I can't see it. He's the most veteran of the QB's left and it probably makes sense to keep him there considering the lack of experience coming back.

Wiggins and Lynum are the wild cards at this point. Probably Wiggins more so than Lynum. He smells like a redshirt candidate unless he comes in during spring ball and tears it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 am   
Golden Panther

I agree that BD most likely has plans to bring in someone as a transfer at QB. Not the ideal situation, but if the D is upgraded, as well as the OL, then perhaps we can stay competitive while either Wiggins or the freshman get some spot duty and develop or some true stud is recruited for 2019, ibid, op cit. I just can't imagine that he would allow himself to be painted into the corner he'd be in otherwise. Any way you slice it, this is going to be the story of the off season, that and hoping all our meatloaf recruits make grades and don't bite anyone's ear off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next