It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:21 am

The Immediate Future of FIU Football

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:17 pm   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
As NSD approaches, I would like to share a few thoughts/observations on the incoming class and how I feel we are progressing as a program:
1. Coach Davis assured the fan base that one of the first areas he would address with his first full recruiting class would be the interior lines. With D. Demery, T. Spencer and T. Humphrey he more than delivered. No previous coach in the program's history has even sniffed players of this caliber. Remember, these are battle tested JUCO guys who are automatic starters. Check.
2. Coach Davis gave us some insight into his recruiting method - the formula he has used everywhere he has been - looking for the best athletes he can find with speed. Based on only his first class (not counting this year's class yet) we got B. Singleton, D. Price and S. Thornton - significant contributors as true freshmen. Check.
3. Coach Davis promised us more depth on the roster. For instance we graduate A1 and still have A2, N. Maxwell, D. Price S. Phillips and incoming freshmen like D. Townsend at RB. This depth extends to the WR positions and now the DL as well (mixing in last year's class). Check.
4. Finally, I now can address the elephant in the room, QB. Coach Davis knows better than anyone the significance of having a "franchise" QB. It is the most important position in ANY sport so be rest assured he will not overlook it. He has Coach Harris working the phones/homes of some prospects and Coach Davis will land another big fish - some one who will be an upgrade over A. McGough! (even as good as he turned out to be his senior year). I still believe that C. Alexander is a diamond in the rough, who played well against good competition, his freshman year and will be redshirted as a sophomore from last season as a result of not playing. (That is the reason, I believe, he saw no action last year - even in the bowl game against Temple). All the other QB's on the roster will be fighting for #3 spot. Coach Davis, will bring in a JUCO or transfer stud QB - count on it. He has delivered on everything else. Check pending.
We are very fortunate to have Butch Davis as our head coach. He seems to be a man of integrity, honesty, enthusiasm and of course, he is a winner.
Interested in what y'all have to say as always. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm   
Golden Panther

Christian already redshirted, but very nice synopsis. I think we get at least 1 grad transfer QB and possibly 2 while Wiggins and Caleb develop.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm   
Golden Panther

I also think Butch has delivered on all our weakness except for QB, yet.

I asked Butch what he was going to do QB prior to the start of the season and he said Alex was really good.

I didn't understand at the time what he saw in Alex. My eyes saw a guy who piled up stats when trailing, a guy who mastered the dink and dunk passes, and worse of all a guy who when the pressure was on would fold.

I say the above and can point to some of the worst statistical games in FIU QB play, some games even as bad as when Wayne Younger was QB.

But, seeing Alex last year (Alex in the first three games was not the Alex at the end of the season (Alcorn State)) come around and at times willing our team to wins was awesome.
So, I guess it wasn't Alex folding against UTSA or FAU (for a chance at a bowl 2015). Perhaps it was Turner and Shank who really had no business continuing to coach. So, I was wrong about McG.

As it relates to the guys currently on staff, there is no way to know where they are in terms of development and readyness. I would assume that Christian will never be a QB at FIU. I would assume Maurice will never start at QB again. But, its all assumptions and I've been dead wrong before. I will never understand the love affair from my Fellow Panthers over Christian Alexander.

I think, Butch is looking for a Grad transfer to come and compete (we see it with James who took a visit last week). Adding to the above, I would assume they would beat out all the QB's based on experience. Kaylan and Caleb would battle for back up role. In any case, it will be interesting.

Hopefully, a transfer can see what I see with regards to the Roster.

We have depth at all the skill positions; Turner really did do a great job at the RB position and improved the WR position by his final year. Butch has added a lot of depth at the RB position and possibly a starter in Price. The DB position under Turner was young and will be upperclassmen next year and I expect the Safeties to be awesome with one year in the system.

Butch has really upgraded the OL, we didn't get to see it last year as the line was mostly made up of Turner's classes. But Coach Mo did an awesome job in improving the quality of their play. I think some changes are coming and I'm really looking forward to seeing this units position battle. Specially with the Juco LT.

We've talked about the DL and DE's.... Not much to say but they have the chance to be the first great DL at FIU. Greg and Facine had a chance but there was no depth and Greg was undersized.

Exciting times!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 am   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
I will never understand the love affair from my Fellow Panthers over Christian Alexander.

I wouldn't call it a love affair as much as fear that Maurice might start in 2018.

Also... he is the closest thing to McGough left on the roster. Physically, at least.

I hope that kid gets every shot to impress in spring ball. We need someone coming out of that group.

FIUPIKE wrote:
Christian already redshirted, but very nice synopsis. I think we get at least 1 grad transfer QB and possibly 2 while Wiggins and Caleb develop.

Exactly. That wasn't a redshirt situation. Wish I knew what it was, but it definitely wasn't that.

I like the idea of a grad transfer. Someone with experience like the BGSU kid would be good. I'd look at the UM QB who just transferred, too, even if he's not played much. He'd probably come in handy knowledge-wise for the UM game next season.

Maybe 2 grad transfers is a bit much, but 1 certainly makes a bunch of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 am   
Juvenile Panther

fiuphil wrote:
Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
As NSD approaches, I would like to share a few thoughts/observations on the incoming class and how I feel we are progressing as a program:
1. Coach Davis assured the fan base that one of the first areas he would address with his first full recruiting class would be the interior lines. With D. Demery, T. Spencer and T. Humphrey he more than delivered. No previous coach in the program's history has even sniffed players of this caliber. Remember, these are battle tested JUCO guys who are automatic starters. Check.
2. Coach Davis gave us some insight into his recruiting method - the formula he has used everywhere he has been - looking for the best athletes he can find with speed. Based on only his first class (not counting this year's class yet) we got B. Singleton, D. Price and S. Thornton - significant contributors as true freshmen. Check.
3. Coach Davis promised us more depth on the roster. For instance we graduate A1 and still have A2, N. Maxwell, D. Price S. Phillips and incoming freshmen like D. Townsend at RB. This depth extends to the WR positions and now the DL as well (mixing in last year's class). Check.
4. Finally, I now can address the elephant in the room, QB. Coach Davis knows better than anyone the significance of having a "franchise" QB. It is the most important position in ANY sport so be rest assured he will not overlook it. He has Coach Harris working the phones/homes of some prospects and Coach Davis will land another big fish - some one who will be an upgrade over A. McGough! (even as good as he turned out to be his senior year). I still believe that C. Alexander is a diamond in the rough, who played well against good competition, his freshman year and will be redshirted as a sophomore from last season as a result of not playing. (That is the reason, I believe, he saw no action last year - even in the bowl game against Temple). All the other QB's on the roster will be fighting for #3 spot. Coach Davis, will bring in a JUCO or transfer stud QB - count on it. He has delivered on everything else. Check pending.
We are very fortunate to have Butch Davis as our head coach. He seems to be a man of integrity, honesty, enthusiasm and of course, he is a winner.
Interested in what y'all have to say as always. FIUPhil

You make some good points. Some of them I think are way off. Time will really tell all in a few weeks. I dont think we will ever know the CA situation until the question is asked and answered by BD. Thank goodness for the opportunity to compete, because if we based position starters, & leaders on fan base opinions and star ratings we might be in trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:56 am   
Golden Panther

I'll take one good grad transfer. Need someone with size and experience. The BG grad transfer and this new kid from Wagner are interesting. I think we might have the ebst luck with the BG kid. Whatever happens, I trust in Butch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 am   
Juvenile Panther

8)
FIU Beisbol wrote:
I'll take one good grad transfer. Need someone with size and experience. The BG grad transfer and this new kid from Wagner are interesting. I think we might have the ebst luck with the BG kid. Whatever happens, I trust in Butch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am   
Golden Panther

I just trust Butch, and the process of competition. Go Panthers!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:34 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
I just trust Butch, and the process of competition. Go Panthers!!

I trusted Butch Davis decisions, I went to all games and the bowl game and cheered for my Panthers and Yes for Alex. @ItsFIU I was wrong about McG, whom I would have permanently benched after the AlcornSt game.

At least benched until the next three guys screwed up and was forced to play him again, but my frustrations come from Alex (3 years body of work). But maybe Butch knew what he had behind Alex, and didn't want to sacrifice Kaylans redshirt. Regardless, CoachRich did an amazing putting Alex in a position to succeeded, heck people are talking about him getting an NFL look.

Now we wait for NSD-2. We wait to see if Butch can land a QB whom most of us feel would win the job over all the incumbents.
Over Maurice whom most feel is not a QB at this level.
Over Christian whom I think will never be a starting QB.
BTW, if you look back at last summers practices (the two or three I attended), I did share on this forum that Kaylan was ahead of Christian of the depth chart.

Maybe, we start a freshman or redshirt freshman if a transfer doesn't come in and win the job.

All possibilities are open!

#PawsUp