It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:02 pm

New 2018 Commit: James Morgan (QB grad transfer)

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:02 pm   
Golden Panther

James Morgan, a 6'4" grad transfer QB from Bowling Green announced his commitment to FIU today. Morgan was rated a 4-star prospect by ESPN and 247 Sports out of high school. Morgan got significantly playing time two years ago at Bowling Green, but was eventually replaced as the starting QB last season. I heard reports that the system did not fit him well. The guy has a HUGE arm and all the tools you need to succeed. I hope his time at FIU works out better. Since he is a grad transfer, he is immediately eligible to play. Welcome to FIU, James!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:03 pm   
Golden Panther

Highlights at Bowling Green here:

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:10 pm   
Golden Panther

Welcome to FIU, James! Good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm   
Puma

We got our QB. Very likely he'll start vs Indiana, and it's what we all wanted .

We must never doubt Butch Davis and this staff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm   
Golden Panther

J Money!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
J Money!

J Money it is!!!!!

Butch Davis is the man!!!!!!

This QB with our lightning fast receivers is going to light up the conference!

Here's to going 10-2 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:46 pm   
Golden Panther

The QB competition in fall camp will be very solid. Looking forward to seeing who emerges. If I had to guess, it would be Morgan, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins gives him a real run for his money, since he has a year within the offense already.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Heck yah! The missing piece! I believe James will be starting against Indiana.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Highlights at Bowling Green here:

phpBB [video]

It would be nice to see what he can do under pressure. See how his feet work and how he does under pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 pm   
Site Admin

Discussion in Bowling Green Message Board....draw your own conclusions....

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34964

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:56 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:

Thanks FIUPF, I read some of the message board comments and then it turned into a "Coach Sucks" thread and that was that.

What we know is that James was a highly touted 2015 QB recruit for Bowling Green (whether a 3 star or 4 star) under Dino Barbers.
Dino Barber went 8-6 (2014) and 10-3 (2015) at Bowling green and left Bowling Green in 2015. Below is an article that talks about Dino Barbers 2015 recruiting class.
https://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football ... news-recap

So James never played for Dino Barber and won the job under a new coach and a new system.

In talking to some of my "friends" they are glad Butch got James because of the known/unknown guys that we have on the roster but he doesn't make their toes tingle.

I don't know much about James other than the highlights above and some of the applicable comments on the fan forum.
But, I can tell you that the current coach that replaced Dino Barbers is 4-8 and 2-10 in consecutive years. For James, he went from being recruited by the guy who coached Jimmy Garoppolo and playing for a worse coach than F'ing Ron Turner.

Just look at what Butch and Staff did with Alex McG.

So in Butch and James I trust!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:14 pm   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:

Thanks FIUPF, I read some of the message board comments and then it turned into a "Coach Sucks" thread and that was that.

What we know is that James was a highly touted 2015 QB recruit for Bowling Green (whether a 3 star or 4 star) under Dino Barbers.
Dino Barber went 8-6 (2014) and 10-3 (2015) at Bowling green and left Bowling Green in 2015. Below is an article that talks about Dino Barbers 2015 recruiting class.

So James never played for Dino Barber and won the job under a new coach and a new system.

In talking to some of my "friends" they are glad Butch got James because of the known/unknown guys that we have on the roster but he doesn't make their toes tingle.

I don't know much about James other than the highlights above and some of the applicable comments on the fan forum.
But, I can tell you that the current coach that replaced Dino Barbers is 4-8 and 2-10 in consecutive years. For James, he went from being recruited by the guy who coached Jimmy Garoppolo and playing for a worse coach than F'ing Ron Turner.

Agree 100%

I am surprised there isnt more excitement about this signing. A 4 star QB prospect!?! More importantly we know Butch and his staff know what they are doing. They must have really been impressed with this talent and ability to come in make FIU competitive right away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 pm   
Site Admin

What I was thinking reading the QB comments they had was that they sounded like Chia complaining about McGough before Coach Davis got here. Inconsistent, lacking touch, turnover problems, etc. Hopefully, OC Skrosky can work similar improvement with Morgan, though there will be early struggles just like Alex had the first few games. Go F I U!

chiaPanther wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 pm   
Golden Panther

from Bowling Green site:

" a four-star according to ESPN.com and 247 … three-star according to both Rivals and Scout … ranked as a top 25 quarterback in the nation by all four major sites … ranked first or second in the state of Wisconsin by all major sites."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 pm   
Golden Panther

It sounds like a talented player that ended up with a subpar staff.