It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 pm

New 2018 Commit: James Morgan (QB grad transfer)

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
What I was thinking reading the QB comments they had was that they sounded like Chia complaining about McGough before Coach Davis got here. Inconsistent, lacking touch, turnover problems, etc. Hopefully, OC Skrosky can work similar improvement with Morgan, though there will be early struggles just like Alex had the first few games. Go F I U!

chiaPanther wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:
Discussion in Bowling Green Message Board....draw your own conclusions....

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34964

Thanks FIUPF, I read some of the message board comments and then it turned into a "Coach Sucks" thread and that was that.

What we know is that James was a highly touted 2015 QB recruit for Bowling Green (whether a 3 star or 4 star) under Dino Barbers.
Dino Barber went 8-6 (2014) and 10-3 (2015) at Bowling green and left Bowling Green in 2015. Below is an article that talks about Dino Barbers 2015 recruiting class.
https://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football ... news-recap

So James never played for Dino Barber and won the job under a new coach and a new system.

In talking to some of my "friends" they are glad Butch got James because of the known/unknown guys that we have on the roster but he doesn't make their toes tingle.

I don't know much about James other than the highlights above and some of the applicable comments on the fan forum.
But, I can tell you that the current coach that replaced Dino Barbers is 4-8 and 2-10 in consecutive years. For James, he went from being recruited by the guy who coached Jimmy Garoppolo and playing for a worse coach than F'ing Ron Turner.

Just look at what Butch and Staff did with Alex McG.

So in Butch and James I trust!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read those... "Coño, that's what I sounded like?"

For what it's worth, James appears more talented (taller too) than Alex. Notice his commitment tweet; James said: ".....and compete alongside some ELITE coaches". Because, BG hired a horrible coach, who hired a horrible staff.

If Butch and Rich can get out of him what they got from Alex in one year, image what they could get by year 2.

It's F'ing January. We just signed the best class in History. Continue to add more talent and Butch just brought in someone who will win the QB Job..... I'm walking on clouds!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 am   
Golden Panther

I think, with Butch at the helm... This guy will do well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:50 am   
Golden Panther

That looks like a quick, uncomplicated throwing motion, with the footwork ok in what is there. And while those "accuracy" issues that someone mentioned earlier aren't going to show up on a highlight reel, it sure seems he can throw the deep ball. Oooooo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
That looks like a quick, uncomplicated throwing motion, with the footwork ok in what is there. And while those "accuracy" issues that someone mentioned earlier aren't going to show up on a highlight reel, it sure seems he can throw the deep ball. Oooooo!

I'm kind of skeptical of highlight videos. Too easy to edit so that every kid looks like the second coming.

Having said that... he's definitely got an NFL caliber arm. He can bomb it. He can make pretty much any throw you want. He showed some touch at times. Accuracy seems to be a bit of an issue. Mobility seems pretty decent. Looks like he has a better arm but slightly worse mobility than McGough.

He certainly has all the physical tools you'd want. And it has to be clear as day by now that the QB job is wide open. No way does a kid like this come to FIU if he's not at least promised a chance to compete for first string.

Just based off that video, I'd make him first string going into spring ball. He's way better right now than Maurice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 am   
Golden Panther

If one looks at Bowling Green's staff, they are pretty second rate. I mean that as inoffensively as possible; but the co-OC/QB coach, for example, had zero experience above the DIII level before BGSU. The head spent most of his career as a high school head coach, anyone remember Dodge at UNT?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 am   
Golden Panther

Of course, who knows whether Wiggins has some mojo, and BD will surely go through the motions with Maurice in Spring, but it looks to me as if someone said to Morgan, come on down and unless you fall flat on your face, we expect you to be the man. I mean, really, what is the last 4-star QB recruit we have landed?

Just out of curiosity, I wish we had some insider who could say what the issue with Christian Alexander is or was: is he dumb as a post? is he uncoachable? is he slower of foot and more prone to poor decision making than even Maurice? from the little I saw of him on the field in last year's spring game and at a couple of practices, he seemed to have a very strong arm but was suspect in terms of accuracy. And as for his mobility and footwork there has been no public sample. I have never been around a program where such information seemed so difficult to come by. I used to have friends who were tied to the athletic department in one way or another and it was pretty easy to get way more sensitive information that was never in the papers: for instance, that Paul McCall's career was wrecked by knee issues long before it was ever made public, that Pete and Mario could not get along a year before the firing, and on and on. Surely every player on the team has an inkling of why Christian hasn't gotten so much as a sniff, and anyone on the staff must have heard something too. We could use a mole!

But back to Morgan, even if it turns out that he can't run as effectively as Alex McGough, and even though yes, that is a highlight reel, I don't think that Alex McGough made half that many on the money deep throws in his entire career. If Morgan can do that with what must surely be a lesser set of wideouts at Bowling Green, then I would say we are looking at a downfield threat greater than we have had since the days of McCall. I hope so, anyway. Morgan and Mercier are the cherries on top of a great big sundae, IMO. Go Butch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Of course, who knows whether Wiggins has some mojo, and BD will surely go through the motions with Maurice in Spring, but it looks to me as if someone said to Morgan, come on down and unless you fall flat on your face, we expect you to be the man. I mean, really, what is the last 4-star QB recruit we have landed?

Just out of curiosity, I wish we had some insider who could say what the issue with Christian Alexander is or was: is he dumb as a post? is he uncoachable? is he slower of foot and more prone to poor decision making than even Maurice? from the little I saw of him on the field in last year's spring game and at a couple of practices, he seemed to have a very strong arm but was suspect in terms of accuracy. And as for his mobility and footwork there has been no public sample. I have never been around a program where such information seemed so difficult to come by. I used to have friends who were tied to the athletic department in one way or another and it was pretty easy to get way more sensitive information that was never in the papers: for instance, that Paul McCall's career was wrecked by knee issues long before it was ever made public, that Pete and Mario could not get along a year before the firing, and on and on. Surely every player on the team has an inkling of why Christian hasn't gotten so much as a sniff, and anyone on the staff must have heard something too. We could use a mole!

But back to Morgan, even if it turns out that he can't run as effectively as Alex McGough, and even though yes, that is a highlight reel, I don't think that Alex McGough made half that many on the money deep throws in his entire career. If Morgan can do that with what must surely be a lesser set of wideouts at Bowling Green, then I would say we are looking at a downfield threat greater than we have had since the days of McCall. I hope so, anyway. Morgan and Mercier are the cherries on top of a great big sundae, IMO. Go Butch.

Morgan transferred because he knew he'd be riding the bench at BG. He's not going to transfer if he thinks he'll be riding the bench again. I fully expect Morgan to be the starter. Maurice is just not good enough.

Morgan was a 4 star recruited Qb, but I think he's more a 3 star QB right now from his time at BG. either way, I feel that Butch can develop him. Morgan has great size, very good arm strength, and experience. All he needs is work on his accuracy and scrambling. I understand the mobility, he's a big guy. Hopefully he can transfer soon, get a lot of experience in spring ball, and work on his deficiencies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 pm   
Puma

He is scheduled to graduate in May, so he can transfer for the Summer terms and begin working out with the team then. Not much time to get ready for IU but he is an experienced guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:46 pm   
Golden Panther

True, not a lot of time. Oh well, we'll see what he can do. I still think he'll start. He'll have all summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
Diagodog wrote:

I'm kind of skeptical of highlight videos. Too easy to edit so that every kid looks like the second coming.

Having said that... he's definitely got an NFL caliber arm. He can bomb it. He can make pretty much any throw you want. He showed some touch at times. Accuracy seems to be a bit of an issue. Mobility seems pretty decent. Looks like he has a better arm but slightly worse mobility than McGough.

He certainly has all the physical tools you'd want. And it has to be clear as day by now that the QB job is wide open. No way does a kid like this come to FIU if he's not at least promised a chance to compete for first string.

Just based off that video, I'd make him first string going into spring ball. He's way better right now than Maurice.

Im skeptical of highlight videos also. He got beat out by a freshman at bowling green. He has the physical traits, but Ill save my line up thought until fall. We may not know until first couple of games where we stand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am   
Golden Panther

ItsFIU wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
Diagodog wrote:

Im skeptical of highlight videos also. He got beat out by a freshman at bowling green. He has the physical traits, but Ill save my line up thought until fall. We may not know until first couple of games where we stand.

Under poor coaching and leadership. Let's see what a real coach, like Butch, can do with his talent. Just look at McGough last season for proof.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:56 am   
Golden Panther

Nice piece on Morgan in this morning's Herald. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 38964.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:58 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Nice piece on Morgan in this morning's Herald. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 38964.html

Great article! I just realized he can't even actually sign until May. That sucks. But I'm confident this will all work out well. This guy is very educated and I'm sure he put a lot of thought into this. I feel like, even though he'll be coming in to campus in May he will succeed and start at FIU.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:52 pm   
Golden Panther

Maybe the staff will give Morgan the same mighty makeover they gave McGough, who, while talented, had suspect footwork and made a lot of shaky decisions in his 3 pre-BD seasons. The last year, with the exception of getting carried away again at the Gasparilla Bowl, he was very solid indeed. I am guessing that the redshirt freshman and the true freshman will be groomed as dual-threat change of pace guys, hoping for an upgrade in that category.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm   
Golden Panther

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ck-market/

Quote:
4. James Morgan -- FIU (from Bowling Green): Though it never fully came together for him at Bowling Green, Morgan was a four-star recruit out of high school with a huge arm and a grinder's mentality. With two years of eligibility left, he could further accelerate the Butch Davis turnaround at FIU