It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:41 pm

2018 Signing Day

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm   
Site Admin

Thomas Owings didn't have great speed but he had the height and the hands. If he can become the next Owings, then we are good.

Building A Dynasty wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:
I just don't want another Randy Charlton situation. Gaskins is a real potential game changer in the receiver corps.

To be honest, I'm not sure Gaskin has the physical skill set to be a game changer. He lacks the speed to do so. I see him in a similar role to Ivan Thomas, as both have big bodies with great hands, and might excel as an H-back. I'm not trying to be negative, but just watch his film and can tell he's not a burner, nor is he incredibly elusive. I think Ivan Thomas is a better prospect than Gaskin. He has good size and will be a nice red threat, but I think guys like Underwood, Dillard, and Turner have more potential to be that game changer type. Again, it would be great if he signs, but losing him won't be the end of the world.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:11 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Thomas Owings didn't have great speed but he had the height and the hands. If he can become the next Owings, then we are good.

Building A Dynasty wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:
I just don't want another Randy Charlton situation. Gaskins is a real potential game changer in the receiver corps.

To be honest, I'm not sure Gaskin has the physical skill set to be a game changer. He lacks the speed to do so. I see him in a similar role to Ivan Thomas, as both have big bodies with great hands, and might excel as an H-back. I'm not trying to be negative, but just watch his film and can tell he's not a burner, nor is he incredibly elusive. I think Ivan Thomas is a better prospect than Gaskin. He has good size and will be a nice red threat, but I think guys like Underwood, Dillard, and Turner have more potential to be that game changer type. Again, it would be great if he signs, but losing him won't be the end of the world.

From the highlights he is strong, has good hands, and can establish himself against DBs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:54 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 am   
Golden Panther

No mention of Gaskin in the Herald's rundown of Signing Day 2. Only Mercier added and mention of Morgan's expected signing making for a total of 23, with BD saving 2 for transfers/whatever.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 10899.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am   
Puma

Took that screenshot off a video. Seems like he was all about FIU and his family too. I’m still hoping he is on a baseball scholarship.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:09 am   
Golden Panther

I would not push the issue too much directly publicly to Football/Athletics staff and coaches, as many of the things involved may be sensitive due to NCAA rules. It is pretty evident that there is something that doesn't allow FIU Athletics/Football to publicly announce Gaskin as a signee. However, he can state he is committed to FIU. Hopefully we will learn soon he is officially a member of this year's signing class.

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am   
Golden Panther

Yes, such situations often contain some procedural issue. Was this from the Palm Beach Post in the thread?

http://highschoolbuzz.blog.palmbeachpos ... -baseball/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm   
Puma

What a great 2018 signing class for FIU. In addition to football; if you look at the main FIUGoldenPanthers.com site page with the list of tweets you can see a great pick up by the womens soccer team specially mandigrifol7. Is she good at soccer? I don't know as I don't watch or follow soccer, but, wow what a pick up :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
I would not push the issue too much directly publicly to Football/Athletics staff and coaches, as many of the things involved may be sensitive due to NCAA rules. It is pretty evident that there is something that doesn't allow FIU Athletics/Football to publicly announce Gaskin as a signee. However, he can state he is committed to FIU. Hopefully we will learn soon he is officially a member of this year's signing class.

Go Panthers!

Let's let it ride out. Obviously something is holding up the actual signing. Hopefully it all works out.

the good news is... This is an amazing class, regardless!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:20 pm   
Puma

Might be a walk on, grey shirt or regular schoolie not sure.

At any rate welcome to FIU.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:

Could be all of those, reinier. Agree with you. Welcome to FIU, Nick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:12 am   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:

I will take another three-star DE, welcome to FIU Nick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:55 am   
Juvenile Panther

Can anyone tell me who "Nick" is? Thanks FIUPhil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:58 am   
Golden Panther

fiuphil wrote:

3-star WDE from Centennial High in Georgia. 6'4" and 235-240.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
fiuphil wrote:

3-star WDE from Centennial High in Georgia. 6'4" and 235-240.

Looks like he was committed to Navy, then dropped (I wonder why). Now he's committed to FIU. I don't see him officially signed yet. We'll see what happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next