All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:36 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:52 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 pm   
Golden Panther

Notable info from the story.

Fermin Silva working at DE & LB. This is interesting and LB maybe what he is best suited for.
Jordan Wood - Dogging the OL. 6'4" at 275 lbs. DAYUM!!!
NEW eligible WR Transfer in C.J. Worton from UF.

On the Video the DL guys warming up are:
46 - Juste
91 Anthony Johnson
99 Jermaine Sheriff
94 Kevin Oliver
96 Josh Little
98 Jordan Wood
95 Tarver
75 Rashad Colson

Also, it may just be a number but someone that looks a lot like Budwig is using Budwigs number. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Notable info from the story.

Fermin Silva working at DE & LB. This is interesting and LB maybe what he is best suited for.
Jordan Wood - Dogging the OL. 6'4" at 275 lbs. DAYUM!!!
NEW eligible WR Transfer in C.J. Worton from UF.

On the Video the DL guys warming up are:
46 - Juste
91 Anthony Johnson
99 Jermaine Sheriff
94 Kevin Oliver
96 Josh Little
98 Jordan Wood
95 Tarver
75 Rashad Colson

Also, it may just be a number but someone that looks a lot like Budwig is using Budwigs number. :wink:

You know the D-line is LOADED when your All-CUSA 2nd Team DL is getting reps at LB. Of course, one could argue it is because we need bodies at LB, but why would you take one of your most productive players away from his position if you couldn't replace him? I think we know the answer to that one. I'm guessing they will be playing Fermin in a hybrid EDGE rush role this year. I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:09 pm   
Golden Panther

Also when is the spring FB roster released?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Watchout for #90 Noah Curtis. He's recuperating from shoulder surgery in January but is 6'6 258 lbs and looking huge and athletic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:36 pm   
Golden Panther

Known LBs;

Romelo Brooks LB 5-10
Brandon James LB 6-3
Jean Estinor LB 6-2
Sage Lewis LB 6-1
Thomas Maestu LB 5-11
Danzel King LB 6-0
Jamal Gates LB 6-2

Signing Class LB:
Donovan Georges. 6-1
Rocky Jacques-Louis. 6-2

Tyree back to Safety/DB
Shakur Cooper left program (twitter)
Jordan Guest was working at DE (I think)

Despite the lack of experience, the two-deep LBs has a lot of talent. Depth is a concern, but adding Silva could make this group elite.

The DE spot is loaded with talent and depth. I'm sure Butch is looking at this as a way of getting the most talent on the field.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:41 am   
Golden Panther

Mystifying comment from BD, "Boy were we surprised when Alex McGough got hurt. Hey, next year we need to have a backup QB ready to go." What on earth is that about? I am sorry, but I am not believing that a coach of his experience and caliber wouldn't have wondered from the first whether or not Mr. Injury Prone himself might not last the season. Nor that any coach on any team in America wouldn't want to have a backup QB "ready to go." This strike anyone else as strange?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:12 am   
Cougar

Diagodog wrote:
Mystifying comment from BD, "Boy were we surprised when Alex McGough got hurt. Hey, next year we need to have a backup QB ready to go." What on earth is that about? I am sorry, but I am not believing that a coach of his experience and caliber wouldn't have wondered from the first whether or not Mr. Injury Prone himself might not last the season. Nor that any coach on any team in America wouldn't want to have a backup QB "ready to go." This strike anyone else as strange?

Yeah, that was strange. I’m hoping that what he really mean’t (but couldn’t directly say) was that he didn’t realize just how bad the backups available were and that, in hindsight, he would have made sure to get a proper backup in place (grad transfer or other). At least I’m hoping that’s what he mean’t. Otherwise, it would definitely be mistifying that someone of BD’s caliber and experience wouldn’t realize the importance of getting the backup QB sufficient reps in practice and in games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm   
Golden Panther

I don't find it strange at all. What else is the coach supposed to say?

Is he supposed to say that all the backups that he inherited completely suck?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 am   
Golden Panther

Well, even if he thinks all three of those guys aren't much good, what you don't say is something that makes you sound dumber than Ron Turner. You say, 'Well we need more depth at the QB position." Or words to that effect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 am   
Golden Panther

I think you are interpreting BD's comment wrong. He wasn't necessarily surprised Alex got hurt, but was surprised by the caliber of play of the backups when Alex got hurt. BD thought they did a better job preparing the backup than what actually happened, which could also be BS. Maurice just played poorly.

I don't think his comments make him sound dumber than RT... As others have said, of course you don't come out and publicly blast the quality of play by Maurice. Instead, he put the blame on himself and the coaching staff in order to build the confidence of the QBs still on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 am   
Golden Panther

Well, I don't think he is dumber than Ron Turner, but here is what's true: the story of FIU football for next year is all about the QB situation. If you interpreters of the most convoluted coachspeak I have ever heard are correct, the three incumbents are outright duds, not just average but either at the level of Maurice Alexander or below, across the board. Maybe Morgan will be a slightly less mobile, slightly more accurate version of McGough, and if so, we could do fairly well, given the upgrades elsewhere (pray the secondary comes around quickly). But keep in mind that Morgan, despite his experience at a lower-tier school, will be a newbie to the program and that QB #5, Lynum, is a true freshman who is relatively unheralded, so I look under center and see a huge question mark taking the snaps right now. Hey maybe Wiggins will emerge in spring ball. Or maybe we will go to the veer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
phpBB [video]

Thank you.