It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:45 am

Panther 2018 Season will be better than last year.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I am getting so pissed at the disrespect our team and coaches are getting by all of the preseason football experts and predict we will qualify for another bowl game. This years team is twice as talented, faster and bigger than last year's team and another year in Coach Davis's pro system. The fact that FAU has already been crowned C-USA championship is more salt in the wound. How do y'all feel about this team chances?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:28 pm   
Golden Panther

This is the most talented team we have ever had. If they show up and stay healthy, a lot of prognosticators will be eating crow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
This is the most talented team we have ever had. If they show up and stay healthy, a lot of prognosticators will be eating crow.

I maintain that we will go as far as the QB position can take us. Even with a dominant defense and capable running attack, you need a QB in CFB. Interested to see how the QB battle shapes up once camp opens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

I maintain that we will go as far as the QB position can take us. Even with a dominant defense and capable running attack, you need a QB in CFB. Interested to see how the QB battle shapes up once camp opens

Agreed, but we have four QBs on roster, three of them 3-stars or better. One of them should pan out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm   
Golden Panther

Pantherfan2 wrote:
The fact that FAU has already been crowned C-USA championship is more salt in the wound. How do y'all feel about this team chances?

FAU is rightfully the Pre-Season Champ. They have the fifth best Running back in the country.
They return a ton "of proven 2017" talent too....

We are chasing them! I'm not offended by that.

I too am very upset at the lack of Respect we have been given heading into 2018. All these expert sites seem to be oblivious to the influx of eligible former 4-Star players (some JUCOS).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 am   
Golden Panther

I agree with Danny and Chia. The disrespect is surprising, but at the end of the day we lost a QB to the NFL draft. That is hard to replace. Last year there were multiple games that ended in wins that could have easily ended in losses (Rice, Charlotte, and UTSA for example). Although FIU won 8 games last year, it seems that was about as good as reasonably possible. I’m guessing that is what oddsmakers are looking at. If we get a QB to play at a level near McGough last year, 8-10 wins is certainly possible. I think 7 wins is more likely. 2019 will be the year FIU really dominates I think.

Btw, Vegas says FIU’s odds of winning C-USA this year are 100:1.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am   
Golden Panther

I would venture that the depth we have added in the trenches and the fact that we have a number of talented players entering a second year in the system should more than make up for the "luck" factor that resulted in some dicey wins last year. I think we will be more solid, top to bottom. However, the difference between 4-6 wins and 7-9 wins will be determined by how good the QB play is. It is asking quite a bit for people who have not played (or just barely) in a system to come in and immediately excel at that position. Our backup has what, 30-35 snaps over two years and didn't merit even a single play during a bowl game butt-stomping? And Capt. Morgan for all his promise and early success was demoted at a tractor-pulling institution (yeah, I know he had bad coaches) and hasn't played a down here. It is not impossible, and I am hopeful, but until we see Fall practices, it is nothing but hope, and a prayer. Going to be interesting, for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Preseason predictions and awards are for losers.

Postseason results and awards are all that matters.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University