It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:31 am

Roster Turnover

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:17 pm   
Golden Panther

Since the spring roster is available I thought I'd share some of the guys (non-seniors) no longer on the team/roster:

Isaiah Hill S 5-11 195 Jr. Tallahassee, Fla. / Florida State High
Jacob White DB 6-0 175 R-Fr. Punta Gorda, Fla. / Charlotte
Collin Olsen RB 6-0 228 Jr. Port Orange, Fla. / Spruce Creek
Sean Young K/P 6-1 190 R-Jr. Tampa, Fla. / Admiral Farragut Academy
JoJo Louis S 5-11 196 R-So. Bradenton, Fla. / Braden River
Shawn O'Gorman WR 5-8 184 R-Jr. Weeki Wachee, Fla. / Weeki Wachee
Ulice Gillard III S 6-1 198 R-So. Orlando, Fla. / Lake Nona
Zach Armour TE 6-3 220 R-So. Cocoa, Fla. / Cocoa

No major loses, most of these players played sparingly on special teams. Armour and Sean Young are the most notable ones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:08 pm   
Golden Panther

One presumes the addition of the JUCO punter explains Master Sean's departure. Wonder what happened, as he seemed just fine to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:55 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Isaiah Hill and Collin Olsen were Redshirt Juniors and completed 4 years of college. Sean Young is going to be a Graduate Transfer and try to play at a bigger program. They were all part of the Senior Day festivities before the Marshall game last year. Shawn O'Gorman was a walk-on that probably graduated as well. Ulice Gillard announced on Twitter after last season that he was transferring in the hopes of finding more playing time in 2019. Jacob White (0 games in 2018), Zach Armour (0 games in 2018), and JoJo Louis (4 games in 2018) probably transferred and are looking for playing time somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:43 am   
Golden Panther

Thanks for those updates '94.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:36 pm   
Golden Panther

The biggest loss as we all know is Silva.

Hopefully the young DEs and LBs are ready to fill that void. Last season we played 2/3 of the season with out him and the pressure on QBs wasn’t there.

Hopefully this year we can fill that role. Leading returning sack getter is DT Teair. That’s not going to cut it from the DL.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 pm   
Golden Panther

We need an Alpha on D-line

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:01 pm   
Golden Panther

roary wrote:

If Tayland and Tart both start, it should free up one of them to do more damage. They were consistently double teamed last year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 am   
Golden Panther

roary wrote:

This is so true. I really think it will be Teair Tart. He closed out last season very strong and appeared to be the most explosive guy on the line. Who would have thought the strength of the defense would be the secondary?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 pm   
Golden Panther

It generally helps to be in shape.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:58 pm   
Puma

JulesFIU07 wrote:
roary wrote:

If Tayland and Tart both start, it should free up one of them to do more damage. They were consistently double teamed last year.

No expert here, but in an ideal football world, you DO want your DT to get double-teamed (particularly a nose guard for those teams that use one). Also, the idea is to not have both of them playing together but to spell each other. It's a very physically demanding position and you need to switch bodies in and out. Also, TH was not great last season at all. He was mediocre at best. I suspect he was in terrible shape and didn't learn the position well. He is also much more limited than Tart in what he can do. My very "un-experty" opinion is that you can bring in Tart on passing and running routes. TH was not a great pass rusher.

I'd be surprised to see them play together for extended outings other than obvious goal lines, 3rds and short, and other short term plays. My bigger concern is replacing our best DT after losing "the gut." And Sherriff was a good backup. This leaves us thin. I imagine they use Little and Tarver.

Fixing the DL should be priority 1.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:53 pm   
Golden Panther

At 6'7", 350 pounds, able to walk and chew gum at the same time, you are bound to look pretty good in junior college. In order to take your talents to the next level, you have to a) be in shape and b) pick up some technique to rely upon when the guy across the line is 6'5", 320, benches what you do, and has been in a D-1 system for two, three, or four years. Sometimes guys figure it out and sometimes they don't. See yez at the Spring Game.