It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:45 am

2018 Spring Game

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:28 pm   
Golden Panther

Other notable transfers are: Jason Jean, OL transfer from Marshall, originally an All State player from Miami Central High School is also there besides Appalachian State’s DB transfer Aria Duffey. Also Wyoming DB transfer Christian Irving, who played at American Heritage HS his prep career. Of course, we had heard of Florida WR transfer CJ Worton (out of South Dade HS), as well as Akron WR transfer Richie Cooper (out of Hallandale HS).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm   
Golden Panther

Nice to see the spring roster is finally released. In addition to adding a few new guys, it is also nice to see that we did not lose any key players other than the guys to graduation.

I'm looking forward to see how Butch's guys continue to develop. You can already tell the team is getting much bigger and stronger than previous years. We'll see how much faster they get. We don't really have any true burners. Ike Brown is the fastest on the team running a 4.4 40. You would like to have a couple guys faster than that for kick off and punt returns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm   
Golden Panther

This is a really interesting article I would highly recommend reading. What Butch and his guys are doing with this program is awesome. Spoiler: we had a consensus 5-star DB in attendance at the spring game.

https://wqam.radio.com/articles/fiu-attracts-some-impressive-prospects-spring-game

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 pm   
Golden Panther

Like Reiner, I got there a little late, toward the end of the first quarter. I did not see anything that looked close to a sack thereafter, though there might have been one. On the other hand the D looked solid for the most part, with that one catch and run by Maloney an exception. The running game looked pretty good, but I suspect that with Big and Bigger coming in the Fall, our opponents will not do much up the gut. If we can mount a rush off the line, that should help inexperienced LBs and backs.

Interesting slip of the tongue with BD regarding the "two quarterbacks." It in fact looked to me like those three add up to about two, or maybe one and a half. Christian "I have not missed a meal at FIU" Alexander has a very strong arm though he does not seem nimble. He threw a couple of thirty five yard hashmark to sideline passes that might have actually been rising by the time they got to the receivers. I believe he can function as a person who can actually throw a pass from the pro set if Morgan needs a breather. Maurice threw one ball (incomplete) about 65 yards, something I did not know he was capable of, but he was chucking it over the heads of a couple of linemen who were about a foot taller and about to crush him like a grape. It looks like he has worked hard to get smaller over the offseason. Wiggins seemed ok, if off target on a couple of intermediate throws. I do not think he would have made it into the end zone on that two point play were it a real game. It looked to me like our db's eased up as he turned the corner.

Looked to me as if there were twice as many fans this year as last, which bodes well, and the work on the field looked much tighter to me overall. Given that we have three starters presumably arriving this summer who will (we sure hope) make a difference on both O and D, I think break-even or better is realistic once again. The OL and DL will be much better than last year. RB should be improved. Special teams ought to be very good. LB ought to be solid, improving over the course of the season with experience. Hopefully the same will be true of the DB's. I am sorry to keep saying this, but what will determine the outcome of the close matchups will be the quality of the QB play. McGough put that team on his shoulders in at least four games last year. I think we will be a deeper, more solid team than the one that played in the bowl last year (sans Mr. McGough) but the outcome of some of those skin of the teeth games will depend on the quality of the QB play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
This is a really interesting article I would highly recommend reading. What Butch and his guys are doing with this program is awesome. Spoiler: we had a consensus 5-star DB in attendance at the spring game.

https://wqam.radio.com/articles/fiu-attracts-some-impressive-prospects-spring-game

I have never read a bad Spring review from Larry. Cruel honesty is not in his nature.

So him choosing to take shots at RT after praising him for recruiting SoFL kids is out of character and kind of funny.

But yes, BD is recruiting like only BD can.